NW Angle Resort

• fishingchallenged

I’m looking to go up to the angle shortly after the opener. Currently planning to only fish the Minnesota side. Does anyone have a recommendation on one of the resorts up there? Looks like there are a few on the mainland, one on Flag Island or two on Oak Island. Where is most of the walleye fishing done before Memorial Day? Is it worth it to stay on one of the islands to shorten up the run to fishing? They look pretty nice, but definitely more expensive than the mainland or down on the Rainy River.

Also, would you recommend fishing the Canada side if I’m going up that far?

Many thanks!

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have made that trip a few times a year for the past several years. I’m sure others will tell you to venture into Canada but we have not found the need. I have shied away from it due to the extra license, bait restrictions and because I might want to have a few beers while I’m fishing. Not to mention the border crossing reporting (which should be easier now). Plenty of excellent fishing on the Minnesota side. Sometimes it is a little more work than others to put together a pattern but we have always managed to figure something out and catch good numbers of fish and some trophy caliber fish as well.

I have only stayed at Young’s Bay Resort and Sunset Lodge. Both have nice fish cleaning rooms with electricity. Each has a bar / restaurant on site (Jerry’s is right next to YBR) that will cook up your fish for you. Both have docks with electricity.

Young’s Bay Resort is a nice place to stay and it is only a short boat ride to many fishing spots. I like to get my boat on the trailer and ready to transport after my last day of fishing. That way it doesn’t take much packing in the morning and we are ready to head for home. If you stay on one of the islands then your truck and trailer will likely be parked at YBR. I am actually heading to Young’s Bay Resort this weekend for an ice fishing trip.

Sunset Lodge also is a nice place to stay. I like going there when the wife and/or kids come along. A little closer to many fishing spots so more convenient to drop off or pick up people during the day or take a siesta. Kids can play in the water (probably not before Memorial Day). Has a northwoods vacation vibe.

You will have a good time!

404 ERROR
    MN

I have stayed at Flag Island resort a handful of times and it was great each time. We always would hire a guide for a day or so in Canada (much easier getting across) and fish the MN side for the other half of the trip on our own. We have consistently done better on the Canada side, but I would mainly tribute that to the guide, not necessarily the area. Great views, great fishing and awesome food.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.