No Netting on Mille Lacs

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

But who will I blame for the low population of ‘eaters’ now?

I guess I’ll just blame Will Roseberg now.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Only the ML band agreed to no netting as far as I am aware of, not the WI tribes.

If this is true it would be in the best interest of the ML tribes to reach out to WI tribes to stop them from coming as all tribes would receive a bad rap if one decides to net still.

Time will tell and give more details that are/may be missing.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I was at the meeting and the governor could not confirm if that meant the other bands would not net as well.

deertracker

Isn’t it the Wisconsin tribes that do most of the netting anyways?
    DT

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Isn’t it the Wisconsin tribes that do most of the netting anyways?
    DT

Correct

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Mille Lacs is separate from the other tribes who net. The article implies only Mille Lacs Band So this will have no impact if the others continue to net.

Mwal

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I was at the meeting and the governor could not confirm if that meant the other bands would not net as well.

Dan, You are so right as I was there also.
    The Governor was communicating with the Mille Lacs Band only. Hopefully the Wics. Bands do the same……….

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Besides, according to the DNR netting is not the problem, I don’t get it?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Overall, the meeting was very productive. Citizens were allowed to voice their concerns and the governor was engaged and taking notes. Hopefully he will respond to those concerns.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I also heard that the Mille Lacs Band “wording” might be a sheep in wolfs clothes also…Mille Lacs Band Chief Executive Melanie Benjamin said the Mille Lacs Band will not net next year but they will take their 50 percent of the tribal allotted harvest through other fishing methods. ( quoted from/reported in the Mille Lacs Messenger)… sounds like the spears are coming out again in the creeks… out of sight out of mind… crazy

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I also heard that the Mille Lacs Band “wording” might be a sheep in wolfs clothes also…Mille Lacs Band Chief Executive Melanie Benjamin said the Mille Lacs Band will not net next year but they will take their 50 percent of the tribal allotted harvest through other fishing methods. ( quoted from/reported in the Mille Lacs Messenger)… sounds like the spears are coming out again in the creeks… out of sight out of mind… crazy

Very sad day around the lake today. How it has had to coeme to the closure of all walleye fishing is beyond me. What happens from here on down the road will be important to many that live and work around the lake. I’m sure glad I’m not in the market in selling our lake home here on Mille Lacs for the next few years. There are a number of properties for sale currently around the lake….there might be more with this walleye fishing closure

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was up this weekend, we went down to Hunters to have a couple and do our part…. there was no more than 4 boats in the harbor at any given time… 2 tied to the docks and a couple came and went. Cabins had a couple of girl groups, a birthday weekend and a bachelorette party. While that all helps, it really is sad, thinking back to what it once was on a saturday afternoon at the lake. One another note, lots of room for the tubers, skiers and water toys in the lake. crazy

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

But who will I blame for the low population of ‘eaters’ now?

I guess I’ll just blame Will Roseberg now.

Even I’m not that effective at catching walleyes Phil crazy

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

As stated above only the Mille Lacs band has pledged not to net next year.

However, what I’ve heard from back home they (The Mille Lacs band) will also be talking with the other tribes and asking them not to net next year as well.

Will

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.