No Fishing Signs

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What are the laws regarding these?

Looking specifically from a boat. Marinas, coves, etc.

A question to the DNR might be in order here.

munchy
    NULL

Lakeshore owners can’t control what you are doing from your personal boat on a public body of water. Just be respectful and try not to hit their property with the lure or boat.

Now if the sign is posted by a government entity then you would need to follow what the sign says.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s been discussed before, especially in regards to a marinas.

One thing I am curious about, because I see it down here. If say a marina has basically dredged their land to create the marina, is it illegal to fish them? It probably isn’t even applicable, because I doubt that the MN DNR ever let people basically create a man made ‘bay’ for a marina.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This is just me, but I fish docks in marinas AFTER the boats are being removed and BEFORE the boats go back in. I don’t mess inside marinas anytime there is active boat use inside them. Its an expectation of privacy thing and I respect that.

Legally I am sure that municipal marinas may have some clout as to whether or not fishing is allowed from boats within but not registered, but they can certainly post the docks to keep people off. It would depend a lot on the usage agreement/license stipulation any privately owned marina has with the dnr. As far as excavating dry ground into a marina I have no idea what the laws might be.

deertracker

You can go where ever you want on the water as long as you have a legal spot to launch. Ever if there is a channel made privately you can still enter it. When it comes to launching on small ponds you just have to be away of where the road right of way is. Different types of roads have different distance of right of way. We have a few duck hunting areas that we launch right off the road because the culvert if within the right of way distance.
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You can go where ever you want on the water as long as you have a legal spot to launch.

^^^ This is all you need to know ^^^

You have the legal right to ignore an illegal sign.

Reminds me of the owners of a marina on the St Croix back in 02. They not only put up no fishing signs, they built a swing gate to block access. That did not last long!

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/croix_18211/

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/croix_17599/

-J.

Henpecked

When it comes to launching on small ponds you just have to be away of where the road right of way is. Different types of roads have different distance of right of way. We have a few duck hunting areas that we launch right off the road because the culvert if within the right of way distance.
    DT

Not trying to go off subject here, but launching from a road Right of Way is not necessarily legal either. Many roads do not have RW, but easements and you have to check to see how the easement is written. Most easements are for road purposes only and some do not have any rights beyond the actual road surface so best to check with the road authority first if there is any doubt.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This is just me, but I fish docks in marinas AFTER the boats are being removed and BEFORE the boats go back in. I don’t mess inside marinas anytime there is active boat use inside them. Its an expectation of privacy thing and I respect that.

Legally I am sure that municipal marinas may have some clout as to whether or not fishing is allowed from boats within but not registered, but they can certainly post the docks to keep people off. It would depend a lot on the usage agreement/license stipulation any privately owned marina has with the dnr. As far as excavating dry ground into a marina I have no idea what the laws might be.

Agreed. I have fished in tight marinas but it didnt feel right if there were people around occupying their boats.

Charles

Fish whatever you can, public waters…

However, that being said..

If I find a nice sandy beach where I could see kids playing then I pass that area just out of respect for the kids play area.

404 ERROR
    MN

I frequently fish a private man-made marina on P4. I have had the owner say some pretty off-color things to me but I just ignore him. Is it rude? you tell me. If he ever wanted to get his boat out or use the space himself, I would gladly move out of the way. He spent the time and money to make the marina, IMO he has the right to use it when he wants. But if it is not in use, i’ll fish it!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

deertracker wrote:

You can go where ever you want on the water as long as you have a legal spot to launch.

True. UNLESS you’re fishing around a nuclear power plant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

launching from a road Right of Way is not necessarily legal either. Many roads do not have RW, but easements and you have to check to see how the easement is written. Most easements are for road purposes only and some do not have any rights beyond the actual road surface so best to check with the road authority first if there is any doubt.

On Indian Trail in Washington County such a road exists. Water is less then 10 feet from the road and there’s no fishing signs there. In checking with the DNR, there is not a RW and it would be trespassing to cross the road side to enter the water.

Pretty big to do about this in Afton a few years back.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A no fishing sign might as well say if you fish here, there is a chance someone is going to make it a miserable experience.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Unfortunately, harassment of anglers and hunters who have legally accessed waters in our state is now commonplace. Equally unfortunate is that it is almost never reported.

Most people do not know that it is a crime in MN to harass anyone who is legally hunting or fishing.

Lakeshore property owners, “lake associations”, local government employees, and local busybodies have all combined in a systematic effort to privatize our waters. As part of this effort, many of these people are engaged in what can only be called harassment campaigns to make legal users feel uncomfortable and run them off.

The central problem is that anglers and hunters seldom report this harassment. In many cases this is because these harassers make legal-sounding statements that causes the angler or hunter to believe that they are in the wrong. In some cases, this harassment borders on impersonating a law enforcement officer, because these people give themselves official-sounding titles like “Lake Patrol” and imply that they have legal powers.

If you have legally accessed waters in Minnesota and you are confronted about your right to hunt or fish (by anyone who is not carrying a badge) or are harassed by ANYONE, report them by call TIP or the city/county law enforcement! Do it EVERY time it happens!

If you are threatened with or receive any “ticket” or “citation” from someone claiming to be from anything except a local or state law enforcement agency, call the local sheriff’s office and investigate its legitimacy. It was reported last year that people claiming to be from a “lake patrol” were issuing or implying that they could issue parking and other “tickets” in several areas. I believe this harassment practice is MUCH more common than is currently known because is is not being reported.

Grouse

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

A no fishing sign might as well say if you fish here, there is a chance someone is going to make it a miserable experience.

Misery loves company. Usually the sheriff.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I actually parsed my reply way down. Yes, you can call, but depending on the location, you may not even get someone out to respond. Even then, you’ve endured being harassed when to me, fishing and being on the water should be enjoyable.

That is just me though. I strongly encourage other people to report these people, if that is your prerogative.

deertracker

deertracker wrote:

True. UNLESS you’re fishing around a nuclear power plant.

Yes. I was hoping that seeing a state or federal sign was implied.
    DT

craig s

There was a person on forest lake a couple Years ago with no fishing signs on posts IN THE WATER! roll roll

Can you say Dumb @$$.. mrgreen

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

There was a person on forest lake a couple Years ago with no fishing signs on posts IN THE WATER! roll roll

Can you say Dumb @$$.. mrgreen

Not sure who the dumb a**’s are here, but there has to be at least one! Maybe whoever put the sign up. hah

Attachments:
    1. 5051ada101960.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That looks fun. Not. Must be natives.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Public waterway is just as it says, public waterway. I don’t agree with people who take ownership in the water….like BZZSAW or other sail boaters alike

Henpecked

Just to explain an otherwise blank post. I responded to deertracker before figuring out his question was probably for the op. Just in case I’m in MN. Could not find a delete post button.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Art Green wrote:</div>

I actually parsed my reply way down. Yes, you can call, but depending on the location, you may not even get someone out to respond. Even then, you’ve endured being harassed when to me, fishing and being on the water should be enjoyable.

That is just me though. I strongly encourage other people to report these people, if that is your prerogative.

Pug, I have actually had the people on land call several times when fishing near there docks and illegally place trampolines in the navigable water way. When ever I am harnessed, I encourage the harasser to call. Several times they have done it in speaker, and I could here the sherif dispatch shut them down as they were yelling about me fishing near there stuff. Another time the sherif was dispatched and wrote the person on shore a ticket for disorderly conduct. Always call or get them to call. Only way to change some idiots habits.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d be upset if you were fishing near my dick, too! rotflol

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d be upset if you were fishing near my dick, too! rotflol

rotflol rotflol rotflol

deertracker

So many good comebacks but I will leave it at this. rotflol
    DT

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

The one time auto correct should change what I typed with my fat fingers on my phone…..doh!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Art, there’s an old polish proverb, not my circus, not my monkeys.

Although I like your solution. You shut them down quick and keep them occupied if you tell or dare them to call.

I hate unneeded laws and all, but they should create one that makes a lake shore property owner read and sign a letter explaining public waters and peoples rights to fish. Not sure it would change anything, but it might fix some ignorance out there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.