new rod choice

• Clarence Chapman

Having been frugal all of my life I have never splurged on a “quality” Rod.
    Have some $ set aside for this purchase/upgrade.
    Been considering getting a ST Croix rod 7′ Med Light spinning. I will team it up with a
    pretty good reel.

My question is should I spend the $125 on a St Croix rod or not? Or should I consider something else.
    Will be using it primarily for jigging and Jigging raps and the like.

I know everyone will have opinions but thought I throw it out there anyways.

Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s hard to beat the quality of a St. Croix as long as it is a US built one. Not a big fan of their non U.S. built one. There are just so many good rods out there these days. A 125 budget should give you many quality options

MX1825

Fenwick makes nice rods for what they cost. Very good value.

Edit

There are 2 good Limit Creek rods for sale a couple of posts down.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i set my limit at $100 for an open water rod. no way i go over that….ever! the Fenwick HMG’s are available at many places and its going to be tough to find a better rod at that price. inflation has them over that i am sure but I haven’t paid more than $75 on all my HMG’s…..spectacular warranty as well no questions asked.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Medium limit creek clarence. Them st croix rods are for the boys with boats in their garages over the winter.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would head to a sports store and handle some and see what fits you. Scheels brand is hard to bet at the pricing they offer, But there are so many at that price point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would head to a sports store and handle some and see what fits you. Scheels brand is hard to bet at the pricing they offer, But there are so many at that price point.

That might not work right now. Not sure which Scheels you’re referring to, but the two locations I have been to in the past couple weeks didn’t have their open water tackle out. It was 98% ice fishing.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Mankato has 5 racks of open water rods out, just looked at them. Thorn Brothers and Capra’s always have there open water rods out also.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

That might not work right now. Not sure which Scheels you’re referring to, but the two locations I have been to in the past couple weeks didn’t have their open water tackle out. It was 98% ice fishing.

Aboxy17

Look at the Fenwick HMX I love mine a great all-purpose walleye rod.

Brittman

Limit creek (up in price a bit + shipping) and St Croix ($110 – $125) rods are pretty comparable in my humble opinion, but I am not on the water as often as many of you are.

Agree with BigCrappie … Scheels actually sells some decent rods for around $50. I think many guests you have in your boat would not be able to distinguish the difference.

Dan Baker

I love my TUCR open water rods (biased, I know), but they are over the $125 range.

Brittman

Once you buy the right rod you then need to pair it with the right reel. hah

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Medium limit creek clarence. Them st croix rods are for the boys with boats in their garages over the winter.

Their customer support is so good though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Limit creek has a good rod. I have a couple st croixs I like and a couple I don’t. My go to rod has been a six gill Lykan the last 2 years, I fish it over my Loomis rods. I also have a hand full of Fenwicks that are very nice. But my lykan is the first rod grabbed

Clarence Chapman

You mean like me???
    LOL

BTW I got the city to plow off the ramp here in town but a little to icy for me to try it by myself today.

Clarence Chapman

Soooo…who sells the Limit Creeks?
    Any stores or is it all on line?

Thanks

Umy
    South Metro

Can’t go wrong with a Fenwick HMX- especially at that price point.
    The weight and balance are nice, the rod guides quality.
    I have 3
    I have a Gloomis, 4 St. Croixs and two Abu Garcia Veritas”s ( that I just love)
    bought the Veritas before I go so adamant about US made and when I was first purchasing my equipment after I bought my boat.
    BTW – Kids bought me a Vanford reel for Christmas last year – very nice but expensive.
    I have a Shimano Sahara that is much cheaper and in my opinion a MUCH nice reel.
    I try to limit myself to US made products. Fenwicks are US made but “some” are made in “SE Asia”.
    Every year Joe’s has a great sale on these. An HMX with a Pflueger President reel.
    That is a great set up for a minimal investment in my opinion.
    Crappies advice is sound. Go to the store, pick it up and compare what you like best. That’s really all that matters.

Brittman

Limit Creek website: Click on the Distributors Page

That page will open up with a pretty good list of Distributors and Retailers. I did not realize they had moved into this direction of sale.

Limit Creek: I have two ice rods (they are very nice, but not my favorite) and three soft water rods. I really like the light action rod. I am not (yet anyways) a fan of the “smoothie” that I purchased a couple of years ago.

BearCat: Is your Lykan a longer spinning rod … 7′ ?? or something different ?

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I purchased a limit creek rod last spring at Blue Ribbon Bait and Tackle in Oakdale. They have a pretty good selection of rods. They usually have a spring weekend tent sale also.

Ty Kennedy

Slightly biased but the Croix rods are pretty tough to top in my opinion.

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Their customer support is so good though.

Just curious how they are vs croix ? Replace rods no questions asked or what ?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

St croix has little eyelets and they’re ceramic. All of which leads to increased wind knots, frozen eyelets, and overall more fragile. I also think they’re heavier in weight… and cost more.

tswoboda

St croix has little eyelets and they’re ceramic. All of which leads to increased wind knots, frozen eyelets, and overall more fragile. I also think they’re heavier in weight… and cost more.

I have zero dog in this fight – never even used LC, but just saying Croix has like 100 product lines and they don’t all have little ceramic “eyelets”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I love my TUCR open water rods (biased, I know), but they are over the $125 range.

I agree, I have been really pleased with my TUCR open water rods. However in your price range, a big time sleeper is the SLX spinning rod from Shimano. at $100 I was shocked at how sensitive it is. Tough to go against a St Croix spinning rod though.

Spinning rods are the ones I’m willing to spend the money on. The extra sensitivity the higher quality rods have is worth the money IMO.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have zero dog in this fight – never even used LC, but just saying Croix has like 100 product lines and they don’t all have little ceramic “eyelets”

Yeah for sure!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Soooo…who sells the Limit Creeks?
    Any stores or is it all on line?

Thanks

I call limit directly to place an order. Sometimes you can find one at 4 seasons or everts but they probably favor having the ML in stock vs the medium. I have a high preference for the medium over the ‘smoothie’ ML

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I was always an Ugly Stick guy, until I bought my first St. Croix Premiere rod. At the time it was under $100. That was about over 25 yrs ago and I still have that rod. I have become a St. Croix fanboy.

I have also been trying out some Shimano rods within the last 10 yrs or so and willing to say that they sure do offer a better price point when comparing to an close performance class. For example comparing a Shimano Expride rod to a near equivalent St. Croix Legend Tournament rod.

Sylvanboat

My own 2 cents. All of the rods above are great. Visit Bass Pro or another big vendor and handle rods and see which feels best. I love St Croix and buy those – I just love their feel. Also consider the warranty. Maybe breaking a $20 rod is no big deal but you may feel differently about a higher end rod. One more thing. If you are buying a nice rod, pair it with a nice reel. Good luck.

orve4

for the Price you are looking at I would say Fenwick. Watch in the spring a place like Reeds runs a sale on them and mark them down where if you buy the Rod the reel is free. I just got another HMG fenwick half off during the Pure fishing sale for 60 dollars so that was a great deal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.