New Mercury Outboard

• B-man

I got a $20 bill that says it’s electric…..

But not betting $100 because it says “unrivaled freedom” )

ThunderLund78

Interesting! I’m not super-knowledgeable, but I love the innovation and engineering that goes into outboards so I kind of geek out on this stuff. I think I’ll check it out on the 11th.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I think it will be worth taking a look at.

blackbay
    mn

That’s my guess too and something in the kicker hp range. A larger hp would need a battery pack larger than a built in fuel tank.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I built an adapter so that I can attach a prop to my cordless drill.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>
    I built an adapter so that I can attach a prop to my cordless drill.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

And he’s selling them!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210129-2050582.png

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Bring several 5-amp 18-volt batteries to make sure you make it through the day.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

That’s my guess too and something in the kicker hp range. A larger hp would need a battery pack larger than a built in fuel tank.

I’m also thinking the same. If not fully electric, it has to be something hybrid or of that concept. Their brand is pretty vocal about alternative/sustainable energy with some press releases about big solar investments for their HQ.

It will be a tough sell to see this trend in the industry soon, but it’d be foolish to bet against it happening at some point. I just think it’s a ways off yet with boats getting bigger and bigger with each passing season requiring more and more power and $.

Red Eye

Diesel for more lugging power!

B-man

They’ve had one out for a few years, but it was aimed more to the commercial market.

blackbay
    mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

They’ve had one out for a few years, but it was aimed more to the commercial market.

Don’t like that someone moved in on your spot? Just roll some coal on them. peace

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Hearing about a lot of businesses installing their own solar infrastructure.
    Is this a forebearer of information concerning the lack of grid to support the forthcoming demand?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

They bought Evinrude? Naw, i’m going with B-man on this one-electric.
    Maybe solar.

munchy
    NULL

There is already at least one company making medium sized fully electric outboards. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were going full electric on larger sized motors (200hp+) and working with manufacturers for built in battery banks.

Deuces

Their first word to describe this new product is “freedom”. That doesn’t ping electric for me in my brain.

IMO battery capacity is still a bit far off for a large scale product to get pushed out for marine use.

My guess would be an engine that gets ridiculously good mpg at cruising/higher rpms. Saving gas saves the earth too and would give much more freedom to the coast crowd.

“Luxury”, bet it sounds like a mouse at wot.

“Power”, well they have to throw that in there to balance luxury.

Just my 2 cents.

munchy
    NULL

I’m hearing rumblings it’s a 600hp V12 outboard.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Mercury nailed it!

Finally…something that can get a boat on plane and haul more than a couple guys and gear. The number of underpowered rigs on the market with 200-400hp outboards is absurd. There’s nothing worse than crawling at a snails pace on a foggy morning river outing at 45-50mph and missing a hot bite. This thing should sip gas at 71mph, possibly even 73-74mph if propped correctly. Also, with the appropriate torque I should finally be able to pull the 9 nieces and nephews around on our new 10 person inflatable during the summer when not fishing. The best part, is that with low interest rates, a second mortgage, and cashing in half of my retirement, I will be able to get this in a package down to under $900 a month too for the next 15 years.

munchy
    NULL

Here’s a apparent leaked photo

Attachments:
    1. 64ea6af7_8abe_4cf4_998a_fe1a5b8b1ad0_14ca40ee6ea434d92ec963a3885aa33f0de9f268.jpeg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Finally…something that can get a boat on plane and haul more than a couple guys and gear. The number of underpowered rigs on the market with 200-400hp outboards is absurd. There’s nothing worse than crawling at a snails pace on a foggy morning river outing at 45-50mph and missing a hot bite. This thing should sip gas at 71mph, possibly even 73-74mph if propped correctly. Also, with the appropriate torque I should finally be able to pull the 9 nieces and nephews around on our new 10 person inflatable during the summer when not fishing. The best part, is that with low interest rates, a second mortgage, and cashing in half of my retirement, I will be able to get this in a package down to under $900 a month too for the next 15 years.

Totally agree.

Plus, the new 600 HP is basically a must-have for resale value. Who would want to buy a used boat with only a 400 on the back?

Grouse

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Totally agree.

Plus, the new 600 HP is basically a must-have for resale value. Who would want to buy a used boat with only a 400 on the back?

Grouse

Grouse I’m surprised you didn’t spill the beans already, we can only assume your 38′ Tritoon is already rigged up. Just curious if they took your old 400’s on trade? Or did you sell em for parts?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Totally agree.

Grouse

Grouse I’m surprised you didn’t spill the beans already, we can only assume your 38′ Tritoon is already rigged up. Just curious if they took your old 400’s on trade? Or did you sell em for parts?

Tritoon?! I’m guessing he’s well beyond the tritoon and on to the pentatoon by now. A 10’ x 38’ with twin 600’s would be all a guy would need!

blackbay
    mn

I wonder how slow it will troll.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

I read 12mph slower in reverse… rotflol

B-man

Kudos to Mercury for again raising the bar.

You guys have to remember, the world is 2/3rds water……our Midwest puddles are just a tiny fraction.

Mercury has been gaining a foothold in the saltwater market, and this new outboard will be an awesome option for a lot of big boats out there.

It literally blows the competition out of the water lol

Some newer big boats have an outboard weight rating, not a HP rating.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

Equipped with SmartCraft amd a stiff headwind it will troll all the way down to .01mph.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Kudos to Mercury again raising the bar.

You guys have to remember, the world is 2/3rds water……our Midwest puddles are just a tiny fraction.

Mercury has been gaining a foothold in the saltwater market, and this new outboard will be an awesome option for a lot of big boats out there.

It literally blows the competition out of the water lol

Some newer big boats have an outboard weight rating, not a HP rating.

Yep. Heading down to the mecca of big boats, S. Florida & Keys, on Saturday. It’s crazy and cool to see the horsepower hanging off the back of some of those boats! Why have 6 450’s when you can get by with 5 600’s?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m sure everyone knows that was just a concept boat for me to test pilot. Nice little floating deck for pootling around the lake in the evening. It was a little underpowered, I thought, but fine for the casual weekend guy. I think the best feature was the 2 bathrooms so guests don’t have to “Minnetonka it” by getting in the water to relieve themselves.

I’m on to the next SkunkWorks model this spring. I can’t comment on any of the Facebook rumors that say that it’s a new 30-foot walleye boat with twin engines aimed at the mid-market angler for the 2024 model year.

I also can’t comment to those that say, “How would you even tow something like that?” Except of course to say that everybody knew the 5 axle trailer was inevitable.

Grouse

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

I’m sure everyone knows that was just a concept boat for me to test pilot. Nice little floating deck for pootling around the lake in the evening. It was a little underpowered, I thought, but fine for the casual weekend guy. I think the best feature was the 2 bathrooms so guests don’t have to “Minnetonka it” by getting in the water to relieve themselves.

I’m on to the next SkunkWorks model this spring. I can’t comment on any of the Facebook rumors that say that it’s a new 30-foot walleye boat with twin engines aimed at the mid-market angler for the 2024 model year.

I also can’t comment to those that say, “How would you even tow something like that?” Except of course to say that everybody knew the 5 axle trailer was inevitable.

Grouse

I consider myself kinda “upper mid-market” so can you comment on the rumors there will be a 32’ for 2025?

If so, can I just preorder?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.