New Member Here

• mudhole

Hi All
    New to the site…well sort of. I have been here in the past but not often. Decided a few days ago to sign up, but today is my first post.

Right out of the gates I’ve got a question. Just moved to the Faribault, MN area and I am looking for recommendations to have the Verado winterized. Not doing it quite yet as I still have a lot of new lakes around here to check out still this fall. I just want to have a good idea where I need to go when the time comes.

If anyone wants to give recommendations on lakes around here I’m all ears as well. Never fished any of them and there seem to be many. However, most are small, and several shallow.

I’ll be interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Welcome Aboard!

LaCanns? Might be the place for winterization.

Some good lakes down there. What species ya thinkin?

MX1825

Welcome to IDO! Lots of good people on this site with good info most of the time.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I have lived in Shieldsville for 26 years, welcome to the neighborhood!

I prefer to get my boat serviced by Boat Doctor in Montgomery. They have always done a great job for me.

The lakes around here are great multi species lakes. That is, unless you target Walleyes like I do. Then you either suffer disappointment or start to enjoy fighting sheepheads. They are fun to catch even though you want them to get to the surface and be a walleye.

I fish until the DNR pulls the docks, usually the first week in November. Be aware that most landings are a challenge right now due to low water levels.

My advice is to pick a lake and learn it. If you figure out Shields let me know. It is always a challenge!

tim hurley

Welcome, lakes down there are boom/bust yup. all lakes are, but down there they grow fast, and structure is minimal so even low skill dudes like me can get them, keep them, fry them and then complain that they are gone! This is a great site glad you are a part of it.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Welcome sir.

mudhole

Welcome Aboard!

LaCanns? Might be the place for winterization.

Some good lakes down there. What species ya thinkin?

I spent many years chasing walleye, but these days it is more panfish…back to my roots growing up with my pa.

mudhole

I have lived in Shieldsville for 26 years, welcome to the neighborhood!

I prefer to get my boat serviced by Boat Doctor in Montgomery. They have always done a great job for me.

The lakes around here are great multi species lakes. That is, unless you target Walleyes like I do. Then you either suffer disappointment or start to enjoy fighting sheepheads. They are fun to catch even though you want them to get to the surface and be a walleye.

Thanks for the recommendation. Montgomery is a great option…love the brewery there. It will give me a reason to stop in after dropping off the boat. I have fished Shields but it was many many years ago, only for panfish. Nice to know a neighbor…kind of.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Elysian has been on my list every year. shallow fertile lake has all the components of a good fishery. i only fished it a few times but i am hoping someday it is the red lake of the south. if anyone wants to share info on this lake i can trade some info on P4 which i fish spring and fall.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Lacannes right in Faribault. No need to travel.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Elysian is on my list to try as well.

Umy
    South Metro

Just fished Mazaska Friday morning – first time – right in your area ( I busted the first time of Shields last year too – although 20 mile per hour winds made everything challenge).
    Only had a couple hours on Friday ( 10 am – noon) so I tried topwaters from the shore out on the less windy side ( S S/E ) 1-5 FOW – one strike on a Choppo – really mixed up the speed of retrieve
    Fished a 6′ shelf that hung out next to a drop off to 16-18FOW. Tried Green w silver bottom curly tail NEKO, Red crankbait, perch colored crankbait – nothing
    Fished the NW side around a couple points and docks with Crankbaits, topwaters and Neko again – nothing
    water tempo was 53.5 degrees
    Wind about 5 mph ( pushing 10 mph when I left at noon)
    Skies were overcast and we had snow in Eagan 25 miles to the north
    Near Elysian is Reeds lake ( maybe 400 acres) good panfish and Bass. A little lake next to it ( Lily) i havenot been on but anxious to try.
    Frances is right next to these too ( 2 miles max) and a really good, spring fed lake. BUSY in the summer but weekday mornings are peaceful.
    Going to a little lake ( FISH ) about a mile form Frances today around 11 am

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Lacannes has enjoyed a great reputation on Ido for over 20 years.

Welcome to the posting side of In-Depth Outdoors!

Kevin

As some have said Lacannes. As for lakes to try, my favorite is tetonka west of Faribault by Waterville. Also don’t be afraid to shorefish the cannon river, there can be awesome multi species fishing anywhere from Faribault to down past Welch.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Welcome to IDO.
    Lacannes is what I used when I lived in Faribault and John is a great guy at john’s bait shop. Tim is spot on with the boom and bust with the lakes around there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/John’s+Bait+%26+Tackle/@44.2999751,-93.3145913,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x87f6f6eeb64175e5:0x7b77e3989dc1140c!2sJohn’s+Bait+%26+Tackle!8m2!3d44.300016!4d-93.3124023!3m4!1s0x87f6f6eeb64175e5:0x7b77e3989dc1140c!8m2!3d44.300016!4d-93.3124023

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Welcome to the site. I can’t recommend anyone there for service first-hand, but some pretty respected contributors on IDO have had luck with Lacannes.

I’m not from the area nor fish it often, but did bomb around the area ice fishing in my college days as a buddy was from rural Janesville. I remember he told me that the best way he knew to rule out bodies of water was that if it was really good the Winter before with action and traffic, to skip it the next Winter.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I remember he told me that the best way he knew to rule out bodies of water was that if it was really good the Winter before with action and traffic, to skip it the next Winter.

That is definitely true.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

buckybadger wrote:
    I remember he told me that the best way he knew to rule out bodies of water was that if it was really good the Winter before with action and traffic, to skip it the next Winter.

That is definitely true.

I followed the same rule down there.

mudhole

Good info on the every other year thing. I’ll have to keep that one in mind.

I did have one guy tell me of a bad experience he had with Lacannes. May have been just an isolated issue considering all the positive remarks here.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lived and fished over there for 10yrs. Lots of lakes. Definitely boom and bust like most small lakes. Lots of variety.

Pay attention to ice shanties over the years, patterns repeat, be ahead of the group.

Good advice regarding predicting the bust years based on ice activity.

Deep lakes like Washington and Madison, don’t be afraid to get away from the weed lines in the summer and fish the thermocline.

Folks don’t appreciate sharing bite locations but everybody loves a bite breakdown. Type of area, fishing presentation, etc.

Welcome to the board!

I fished them lakes a lot, but haven’t been back to a one of them since moving to the Mississippi River as they are pale in comparison. If your not spoiled, they are lakes to fish.

Don’t ignore the Minnesota River. Can be very rewarding.

mudhole

Update;
    Got out on Cedar last weekend…Faribault not New Prague. Nothing to write home about. Couple of meals of sunnies but nothing large, and a several smaller crappie. All in all nice to get out on a new lake after a very busy summer and not much fishing.

I’m going to try to keep an eye out for the busy lakes this winter and try to avoid them for a year or so.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.