New Boat Registration Tags~ Forget Something?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just a friendly reminder to make sure your new tags (if you needed them over the winter) are on your boat.

Every year there’s a number of folks finding out what it costs to forget them at home and not displaying them on your boat.
    Say Hi for me to our new CO Officer Brittany Hauser if you don’t have the right color tag or don’t have any numbers because it’s a new boat.

That stop will give them the opportunity to check over your required PFD, horn, throw-able just in case you didn’t on your first trip out of the year.

Looks like a good weekend to get out this weekend!

MN CO Contact Number: Brittany Hauser
    (651) 764-2249

mojogunter

We were out a few weeks ago with a friends new boat. He had the MN sticker, but his custom numbers weren’t ready yet. We were checked by the sheriff. He needed to show all the paperwork for his registration, and checked everything you mentioned. That was the first time being checked that I had them check the horn. Quite a thorough check. Gave a warning for not having numbers on the boat. Didn’t ask for fishing license or check fish. He was only concerned about the boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The sheriff “normally” isn’t concerned with fish and game laws although it’s possible for them to detain a boat until a CO arrives.

I’m surprise a warning ticket was issued if the 15 day temp license was still good.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I was up last month as well one day and it was a cool morning so I did not put on my new stickers but had them in the boat. I meet him and held them up and motored to him explaining I was going in to put them on since it warmed up. They also checked the horn for me as well but did explain use a heat gun next time and warm the stickers up vs. just having them in the boat. he gave a verbal warning but next time I plan to plan ahead a little better. As the spring run starts and boat traffic increases do not expect them to be quite as patient with this.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I haven’t checked the rules just lately but if I recall any boat 16 feet or larger needs a horn or a whistle on Federal Waters. MN, Mississippi and St Croix Rivers in our area.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh yes…and a heat gun if your letters are inside your boat. )

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

rules rules rules

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.