New Auger help

• Brady Kovarik

Buying a new auger this year and I’ve narrowed it down to the Eskimo Shark Z51 or the Strikemaster Lazer Mag. I know this is a pro-Strikemaster forum but if anyone has had experience with both that’d be great to hear about. Thanks

brad-o
    Mankato

Eskimo is like heaver lady gets the job done with less wine and dine. The strikemaster is like a ten more maintenance but when its on its on

CBMN
    North Metro

Eskimo is like heaver lady gets the job done with less wine and dine. The strikemaster is like a ten more maintenance but when its on its on

I have to ask what does that make a jiffy or clam then?

Sorry, that was just too funny to resist.

AaronMoore

This will be the best answer ^^^^^^^^, as for me I had the eskimo and it never let me down apart from a gas leak. Now I had the strikemaster lazer pro and I sold it quick as it was a B**ch to start and also leaked gas and that’s why I got the ION it just works!!!

jon amundson

My Eskimo is heavy(10”) but has always been a 2 pull deal. As a 2 stroke cheaper auger tough to beat. Would recomendrecomend. Have not used a new model but mine is 8 years and 1000’s holes drilled without any issues.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive owned an eskimo going on its 4th season Z71 model. its heavier than a SOAB! im hughing and puffing after drilling 5 holes. Mine has leaked gas since it was brand new. I also had to have it in the shop for a full service tune up and new tank that ran me over 100$ last year (3rd season of ownership), which is a little too early in my opinion to be servicing such an expensive peice of equipment. I got a really good price on this unit and overall it does a good job of drilling holes but hasnt been a flawless item and if i had to do it over again i would choose something lighter

Crappy Fisherman

I have a Nils, light weight(18 lbs.) starts every time period. Cuts super fast and has a 7 year warranty.

bee
    Maine

I have a Nils, light weight(18 lbs.) starts every time period. Cuts super fast and has a 7 year warranty.

I think you have a Tanaka 270 with a Nils Auger on it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

if you’re drilling less than 40 holes an outing, how can you go wrong buying an Ion auger? love mine!

obviously if you drill more than 40 holes, then a gas auger is better fit for you…

jon amundson

What does a replacement battery run in cost? I’m not sold on battery augers most drill batteries lucky to make 5-7years before serious performance loss. Unless these ions have cheap batteries, you could buy a new gas auger every ten years and sell old still running. Would guess and be into for lot less than ion and two new batteries just to get ten year service from something used 4 months a year at best.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The MSRP on the batteries is $150, but you can find them much cheaper later in the ice season… I’ll gladly pay the extra $$ for the convenience of not having to deal with gas/oil/not starting/hot exhaust burning flipover fabric and every other issue…all i do is unlock my battery pack and drop it in a small cooler pack to keep it warm…

i’m on year 3 and no problems at all, love it

jon amundson

Sometimes a little extra gas doesn’t hurt. I’ve used mine for helping someone who ran an ATV out of gas. I don’t drill holes inside portables so never burnt canvas. I just press primer 7 times pull twice drill all day. Just two batteries for ion (only way I could take one on ice is having at least 2 batteries) could buy a cheaper gas auger.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a SM Lazer Mag and love it! Cuts like a boss

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I had a Z51 and loved it but ordered through Strikemaster lithium last year and sold the Eskimo. Then the whole recall on the lithium so bought another Eskimo. Its as dependable as the day is long at a great price. I’m sure the others are great but I appreciate Eskimos price points for the quality of their products.
    My two cents.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I will not argue that gas augers can be cheaper and a better solution if you drill alot of holes, but anybody who says their gas auger always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull or never had any issues is stretching the truth…I’ve had several gas augers, when they work, they are great, but when they have issues (like a ripped pull cord, that’s fun fixing on the ice in 5 degree weather or a bad gasket, fouled plug…) they can ruin a day on the ice…

The only issue I have to worry about is remembering to recharge my Ion batteries after each outing…knowing the auger will spin as soon as I pull the trigger is a beautiful thing…

roger

August 28, 2015 at 10:31 am#1562445
    I will not argue that gas augers can be cheaper and a better solution if you drill alot of holes, but anybody who says their gas auger always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull or never had any issues is stretching the truth…I’ve had several gas augers, when they work, they are great, but when they have issues (like a ripped pull cord, that’s fun fixing on the ice in 5 degree weather or a bad gasket, fouled plug…) they can ruin a day on the ice…
    The only issue I have to worry about is remembering to recharge my Ion batteries after each outing…knowing the auger will spin as soon as I pull the trigger is a beautiful thing

HAVE TO AGREE ON THAT. GAS AUGER TUNE UP COSTS ABOUT A HUNDRED BUCKS AND STILL RUN LIKE CRAP! BEEN THERE DID THAT GIVE ME MY ION!! MY OLD MAG lll WAS A GOOD AUGER TILL IT FINALLY DIED. NONE GOOD SINCE!

Crappy Fisherman

Yes it’s a Tanaka engine, but it’s called a Nils auger. Just like a Strikemaster isn’t called a Honda.

Crappy Fisherman

Its still August and we are already doing the mine is better than yours thing. I have both a gas and a Clam Plate drill setup. Each has its place and I wouldn’t trade either one. Let’s have a good year ice fishing.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like my ION, as long as you keep the battery warm.

whoay5

Love my Eskimo Z51 Shark

onepine
    Elk River

Clam Auger Plate here. I own a Honda Stikemaster and am probably going to sell it. I love to just hit the switch and it goes.

Jon

Get the Honda, you won’t regret it.

TG

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

The Z51 all the way. Two pulls on a cold start

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.