Never Seem To Catch Fish On IFishPros

• Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I paid 100$ for the IDO version and have caught numerous fish….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I can’t figure out why a tip up would get more flags than an IFishPro running the same setups

They don’t. I think we can all agree that a fish has no idea if a minnow is suspended below a traditional tip up or an ifishpro. If they had that type of awareness none of us would ever catch any of them. grin

People often try a new tool and when they run into issues with it they blame the tool instead of figuring out how to use it. I apologize in advance for pointing fingers a little bit but on this thread on the first page guys were still figuring out they needed to tighten their bobber stops. This is a pretty basic step. As is how you position the trigger, the hooks you use, the size of bait you use, how you rig your minnow, how you position the IFISHPRO relative to the wind, and the situations in which you use it.

It took us a little time to figure out how to master the iFish pros but that should be expected. They’re not a tip up despite the fact there’s a flag involved. There was a learning curve and now we’re at the point where our hooking percentage rivals anything I was able to ever achieve using a traditional tip up. And I don’t have to fight a fish hand over hand ever again!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    I can’t figure out why a tip up would get more flags than an IFishPro running the same setups

They don’t. I think we can all agree that a fish has no idea if a minnow is suspended below a traditional tip up or an ifishpro. If they had that type of awareness none of us would ever catch any of them. grin

People often try a new tool and when they run into issues with it they blame the tool instead of figuring out how to use it. I apologize in advance for pointing fingers a little bit but in this thread on the first page guys we’re still figuring out they needed to tighten their bobber stops. This is a pretty basic step. As is how you position the trigger, the hooks you use, the size of bait you use, how you rig your minnow, how you position the IFISHPRO relative to the wind, and the situations in which you use it.

It took us a little time to figure out how to master the iFish pros but that should be expected. They’re not a tip up despite the fact there’s a flag involved. There was a learning curve and now we’re at the point where our hooking percentage rivals anything I was able to ever achieve using a traditional tip up. And I don’t have to fight a fish hand over hand ever again!

I agree James, it takes some trial and error to get it set up to where it works for you. My hooking percentage is great with them, I just don’t seem to get to set the hook very often with them. Puzzling.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

if you guys want to sell your ifish pros let me know mrgreen i guess i would rather miss fish on my ifish pro than pull them up with my arm.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

if you guys want to sell your ifish pros let me know mrgreen i guess i would rather miss fish on my ifish pro than pull them up with my arm.

Try the finicky fooler. Half the cost. 5 of them takes up the room of 1 ifp and you can use the rod for other things with out re rigging the entire set up

PmB

I agree. The foolers work great. Might be too light of a trigger for big suckers but perfect for eyes and panfish

BackwaterICE

PmB you can add weight to the trigger arm for bigger bait, velcro on a cylinder shaped drop shot weight

PmB

Good idea. I will try it out.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I can’t seem to catch a fish on my finicky fooler, lots of false flags. Any tips or tricks Ron?

trophybucs

I can’t seem to catch a fish on my finicky fooler, lots of false flags. Any tips or tricks Ron?

I thought I was getting false flags with mine. Turns out they were small perch tripping the flags trying to take down some larger walleye fatheads. I put on a small crappie minnow and caught the culprits (4-5″perch).

When I fish pike I use larger suckers 6-8″ and ordered the shorter trigger arm which works to keep them from tripping the flag. I also move the snap on the flag to the upper hole to keep the flag against that o-ring.

Not sure what you are targeting, but if set up right I don’t experience any false flags and catch alot of fish on them. With any new product there is a bit of a learning curve!

mn-z
    Stark, MN

I use IFP exclusively for pike. I love them. I fished with them all weekend and caught at least 15 pike. I use TUCR Commander and Okuma bait feeder and the system works perfect. The fish we miss are almost always the fault of the angler. Kids tend to reel before setting the hook. I will say it is really important that the line spool out free when the fish hits. I use bubblers in every hole to keep them from freezing up. It works perfect! I currently have 7 IFP set ups and need one more to complete my collection. I will never go back to a hand tip up again. M2C

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can’t say I’m too worried about mine icing up….. mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. B8E2231D-B540-48AE-A1E5-14E18CB9B859.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use IFP exclusively for pike. I love them. I fished with them all weekend and caught at least 15 pike. I use TUCR Commander and Okuma bait feeder and the system works perfect. The fish we miss are almost always the fault of the angler. Kids tend to reel before setting the hook. I will say it is really important that the line spool out free when the fish hits. I use bubblers in every hole to keep them from freezing up. It works perfect! I currently have 7 IFP set ups and need one more to complete my collection. I will never go back to a hand tip up again. M2C

Do you have to drive 2 trucks to haul all those bad boys rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hope some drunk on a snowmobile doesn’t do to yours what they did to mine. Lol its a tough loss

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hope some drunk on a snowmobile doesn’t do to yours what they did to mine. Lol its a tough loss

Ooooh….Yeah that’d be a bummer.

Ripjiggen

I have a couple of these with okuna baitfeeder. Similar concept but they would fit in my pocket. Use them on a variety of species. And at 10 bucks don’t feel bad if I lose one.
    They also have a light for night time.
    I don’t bother with the rod holders they sell plenty of ways to do that. Caught several eyes on Mille Lacs this past weekend with a sucker minnow.

Disclaimer:
    No that is not a picture of me fishing 30 rods that is off their website.

Attachments:
    1. AE5156E7-8F1C-4BC8-801F-7BD22F48FDA3.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Attachments:
    1. BDD6543A-99B6-44A5-9368-453DBFBEF2F3.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a couple of these with okuna baitfeeder. Similar concept but they would fit in my pocket. Use them on a variety of species. And at 10 bucks don’t feel bad if I lose one.
    I don’t bother with the rod holders they sell plenty of ways to do that.

No wonder there’s no panfish left……SMH.

rotflol

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    I don’t bother with the rod holders they sell plenty of ways to do that.

No wonder there’s no panfish left……SMH.

rotflol

Ha…be kind of a gong show if a school of crappies came through.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

I live on a lake that probably makes it easier

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

the lever goes under the flag doesnt it?

Yes. That could be his problem right there toast

Zack Shack Guy

I just bought the Finicky Fooler 365, excited to use it on a bucket. I also ordered a insulation sleeve for the hole and a bigger bucket with a lid, and an additional bucket lid so I could get free shipping.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Is that the water pump?
    If you are running a pump Id suggest that may be why…
    Does IFP cover light?
    Do you run foam or carpet to cover the hole on your tip up?

Steve Grim

I just bought an ifish Pro 2 this past December and have been pleased with it. Caught a few bass, northern and crappie on them–not a lot of false flags. The 3 settings on the ifish pro seem to work fine for me, but I would agree that the little orange loop is a bit of a pain because it needs to be attached along with a bobber stop–causing me to ‘dedicate’ a rod to this setup.

I purchased the original Finicky Fooler and a 365 Fooler for the top of a bucket about a week ago (got me up to the $50 and free shipping). I wanted to compare a bit! I used the 365 the other day and it seemed to work great–no false flags– caught a bass(no elusive walleye).

Still too early to tell for sure, but I found they both work and do the job! It is nice to have the option of using your rod and reel instead of hand over hand. I think they both will have some issues with the line and reels when below freezing–once that 1st fish is caught and the line on the spool is wet there will be freeze up issues.

Final thoughts: The ifish pro folds up nicely, but is still too bulky and can’t fit in the bucket. Also the gap for the line to go through is wide and the hole will freeze up easier than the Fooler. The Fooler takes up less space, doesn’t need the bobber stop or orance loop to work. The hole cover and rim seems to give a great seal and will prevent ice ups. The Fooler is less expensive. Also, the Fooler can work in the summer– in states like ND where an extra line is ok I will be trying it out when shore fishing!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is that the water pump?
    Does IFP cover light?

I don’t use foam or carpet. It’s an Ice Defense and the reason I don’t need to use the foam or carpet. Not sure why that would be the problem?

Also, this is a pic that I took after my buddy reset this IFP after he landed a fish. It’s not typically set with the trigger line clip over the flag.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mark-bruzek wrote:</div>

Is that the water pump?
    Does IFP cover light?

I don’t use foam or carpet. It’s an Ice Defense and the reason I don’t need to use the foam or carpet. Not sure why that would be the problem?

Also, this is a pic that I took after my buddy reset this IFP after he landed a fish. It’s not typically set with the trigger line clip over the flag.

Does the slight vibration scare fish off? I’m not sure. Just a idea

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mark-bruzek wrote:</div>

Is that the water pump?
    Does IFP cover light?

Does the slight vibration scare fish off? I’m not sure. Just a idea

I would doubt it. It’s silent and really has no vibration. But who knows I guess. This isn’t just this season. It’s been the last 3 that I’ve used IFP’s. My old school tip ups just seem to get hit more. I don’t think there’s any answers for it. I just find it odd.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.