Neb Waterfowlers?

• Todd_NE

Just wondering if anyone else here is a waterfowler? I’ve been in blinds since I was in diapers, and somedays yet today I shoot just as many geese or ducks as I did then

Season is opening across all of Nebraska tomorrow. I think I’m going to head out in the AM for a small area lake. Thought about the Missouri River by Santee/Niobrara but I’m a loner tomorrow and the river is no place for that.

With all the CRP coming out and crops going in, I’m thinking duck hunting and fishing will be all that’s left around me in a few years. Maybe this wet weather here will keep farmers out of some swales and the like for once and leave a little extra cover.

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Waterfowler here as well!!!!! Not sure about tomorrow yet… Our season down here has already been opened up for a few weeks and we have had a few great hunts already so we were thinking about heading up to Gavins Point to try a little fishing.

Good Luck

Layne Monroe

Todd_NE

Good luck fishing, the Nebraska side ramp is closed if you didn’t know that. Should be a nice day, windy, but not so bad down there. Don’t let the paddlefisherman hit ya from the bank

I just got a report that some guys here on the Elkhorn shot a few smaller ducks this morning.

Todd

mike means

Layne,

You might want to go top side. Headed up to Lewis and Clark tomorrow morning. If you see a big white lund say hi.

Mike

orion94
    them thar hills, SW Nebraska

Waterfowler here as well. We are seeing a few mallards, but mostly still blue and green wings. I am heading up north of mullen tommorrow to see if I can bust a few up there. I only wish I was half as good with my shotgun as I am with a rifle and pistol. I am going to be up in south sioux city next week for a few days, had thought about taking the boat up there, but a few of us are going to take some dekes and our shotguns for an evening hunt instead.
    Chris

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Thanks for the tip Mike…. Now we are not sure what we are going to do, just got a report that quite a few new ducks showed up last night and today….. I hate options Looks like some “weather” may move in starting early next week for another push of ducks.

Layne Monroe

Todd_NE

It wasn’t a bad Saturday though the forecast of 15 mph was a little less, about 15 mph less.

I got out on a small NE Nebraska lake and shot one large Canada after daybreak. Unfortunately the goose either got into the heavy cover behind me or coasted up into a standing field of corn 100 yards away and I did not recover it.

Eric and Zac here in the pic were a couple of college kids hunting the bank in my area. They were about 500 yards away and saw the goose go down. They offered to help find it also but no avail. They’d been out since 5 AM (2 hours before light) so I knew they were hardcore (notice the face black even).

Appreciative of their help, knowing we’ve all been there, and thinking it was stupid to compete with each other I offered to let them join me as it was just me and my lab in the boat.

I think they enjoyed hunting from a boat, especially when this Speck settled in to the decoys. Interestingly the Speck only had one leg.

I saw probably 4-500 teal migrating, a small number of geese but not many “big” ducks. We did mess up a bunch of gadwalls with some movement. Not one duck made a sound all day interestingly.

I also passed on some ducks (Woodies and Widgeon) that settled in just after shooting time (I was hoping for some Canada’s to give me a look right away and they did).

If only I shot better, my goose hunt would have been over in minutes!

(We looked for the goose three separate times, I hate leaving game. This lake has came up 6-7′ in the past few weeks and the banks are covered in standing vegetation and thick willows. I definitely tried everything to recover it)

orion94

Todd,
    Sounds like you had some good action at least. Losing game always sucks,but at least you can honestly say you gave it your all.

I unfortunatly had to work again today, so all I had the pleasure of was watching flock after flock of Specks and big ducks heading south overhead. . I am taking the kayak out in the am to float a stretch of the republican and see if I can do any good there. We had ALOT of ducks move in here in the last 24 hours . Hopefully I can shoot straight and put some meat in the freezer .
    Chris

Todd_NE

Good luck Orion. Nice to hear there’s enough water to float the Republican.

I might come down and try to hunt your area in a few weeks. I’ve heard some good reports and it sounds like the lakes are coming up. Makes it a lot better hunting when a guy can tuck a boat blind into some vegetation.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Todd,

I’ll be heading that way later in the season! We’ll have to hook up for a hunt.

MM

Todd_NE

Let me know MM. We can try Santee if we’re bold or I have a little lake that is hit and miss but fun either way usually.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

Let me know MM. We can try Santee if we’re bold or I have a little lake that is hit and miss but fun either way usually.

Sounds good, I’ll keep you posted. It may not be until late November or early Dec. before I make my way down there. I’ve got deer hunting and a trip to North Dakota coming up here soon.

Todd_NE

Just PM me when it gets closer. I haven’t been up to the Santee area since early September. Last I heard they were dropping the water for winter now. I never promise birds up there though, usually it’s really good or really bad for me. If I’m lucky, the area I want to hunt won’t have blinds (ya, right).

orion94

Todd,
    Let me know before you head this way. If I dont already have a report for ya, I can get you some real time recon info. I was out by swanson Res today. It is still low, but they are taking ducks early a.m.
    Chris

Todd_NE

Thanks Chris, appreciate it. I hunted Med Creek last year, I would think Harlan and all them would be good this year.

Todd

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Quote:

Just wondering if anyone else here is a waterfowler? I’ve been in blinds since I was in diapers, and somedays yet today I shoot just as many geese or ducks as I did then

Yep

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.