Need to respool my walleye rods

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have Fire line on now think 8lb on all my 7′ rods I use for trolling and lindy rigging. I already took off the line and repolled it backwards as to use the unused line. But this line has to be 10 years old now, I have never had any problems but do not want to when I have a lifetime fish on. I see now they have 832, Fire line, power pro, Stealth spider wire and Berkley X5 and X9. I know this is a Sufix web site because of sponsorship. Do I stay with what I have or what is the reason to try something different?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not a fan of 832. Very noisy and just never had a lot of confidence in while I was using it. Hard to explain

I’m a fan of power pro myself. I use this on my trolling rods and I use power pro super slick on my spinning rods. Great abrasion resistance and fantastic life. The super slick is excellent for spinning rods because it is super smooth and very castable.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I have had no issues with 832. I haven’t used any other braid in 10 yrs.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have had no issues with 832. I haven’t used any other braid in 10 yrs.

X2

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I already took off the line and repolled it backwards as to use the unused line. But this line has to be 10 years old now, I have never had any problems but do not want to when I have a lifetime fish on.

I would just replace, being 10 years old it owes you nothing and re-spooling with all new line will work out to cost you…what? per year for the next 10 years?

FWIW, I spooled with Northland walleye braid, maybe not one of the “popular” brands but cost less and works fine for me.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I would stick with the fireline. I have some rods with 8lb for jigs and some with 14lb for cranks. My experience with 832 is that I seem to get wind knots very easily with it and find them tough to get de-knotted. I rarely get knots with fireline. And I still prefer the smoke color over any of the others, maybe that is just superstition though. lol

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve been using 832 for a few years on all my walleye rods. I use power pro for heavier stuff and that works well.

I think wind knots are usually a function of too light a bait on a heavier line or over spooling. I’ve also gotten them when rip jigging and not keeping enough tension on the line.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Berkley Ultra 8 is the best line I have ever experienced so far. It casts like a dream. I like the white color, easy to see. Will be using this until technology brings something even better.
    For mono, I still like my Stren hi-vis gold.

MnPat1

Fireline is great line. Stick with it. It makes better line to line knots because it’s smooth which 832 definitely is not. It’s thinner, casts further, quieter,and stronger. 8 and 10 fireline breaks at over 20lbs.

For casting light lures it’s a must.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Used Power Pro but switched to 832 and love it .

Deuces

If you insist on using braid 832 is the most supple braid out there (reason for wind knots) and would be your best bet for rigging, very smooth coming off reel and out guides.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’m a fan of power pro myself. I use this on my trolling rods and I use power pro super slick on my spinning rods. Great abrasion resistance and fantastic life. The super slick is excellent for spinning rods because it is super smooth and very castable.

X2

I have a love hate relationship with the Super Slick. I love everything about how it casts and fishes on spinning gear. I hate that it has a tendency to slip off of my trigger finger during my cast which results in my cast going straight up or behind me.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

832 on every rod I own. 6lb on the ML rods and 10lb on the Mediums. Flip it every 5 years. Never had a wind knot in the braid, but do get them in the flouro leader.

I showed a buddy how to tie on a leader last year and whatever braid he was running looked like bailing twine. Claimed it was only a couple years old.

gonefishin

Fishing line is kind of like a best oil discussion. There are so many options.
    For trolling I would choose regular Power Pro and for finesse fishing 832. For me I went away from Fireline as I found it to chafe and difficult to tie a knot.

However I did spool up a couple spinners with Power Pro Super 8 this winter to give this a try.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

I’ve snapped two rods casting into the wind with 832 and with a wind knot wrapping around the tip while floating down the river pitching to rip rap — Jig get hung up with no time to react and “down she goes”.

If you like Fireline, you’ll LOVE Ultra 8 Carrier. It has fireline strength and is almost as smooth as nanofil.

Daiwa J-Braid X8 is identical to Berkley Ultra 8 from what I can tell, and can be found cheaper at some stores.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I respool my rods every spring with new braid – based upon what everyone is saying I’m wasting money. Hmmm.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You can use braid until it is wore, spool it onto another reel and use the back end until it gets to short. Then you can use it on your ice size reels, then you can use what is left for lead core leaders.

MnPat1

Daiwa J-Braid X8 is identical to Berkley Ultra 8 from what I can tell, and can be found cheaper at some stores.

Not the same or even close.
    J braid is Japanese line. Very thin breaks at or near stated test. Has the worst abrasion resistance of any braid I have used.
    Berkley is a fused braid with very good abrasion resistance and breaks well above stated strength.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

For fishing jigs and pitching wingdams I like Fireline Crystal 6#, so easy to see and tell where my line, jigs and bladbaits are as it drifts thru the secret holes where dreams are made of. When first put on it does feel a little stiff but once used and gets wet it is as supple as the rest of the braids.If not braid then Berkley XT Solar green in 6#

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve bought more miles of braid than I care to remember. Between use and clients not paying attention – making some of the worst rats nests I’ve ever seen.
    Here is some of my observations in random order.
    Spinning:
    832 = great line and a little noisy going through the guide. Good longevity casts well.

Powerpro (reg) – Good longevity, casts ok, good on abrasive

Powerpro slick – OK on longevity, awesome casting, frays easier

Fireline – hate it, took it off everything and burnt it

Spiderwire – See fireline

YoZuri Braid – Better than good longevity, casts good, a little noisy in the guides, been very good on abrasive and frays. PARTY BONUS – Cheaper in cost than most and available in LIGHT BLUE. Incredible for clear water. This is now my primary braid. 3000 yrd spools are available in most sizes

J Braid has been similar to Yozuri but costs more

Berkly I haven’t used

All my baitcasters have Yozuri or Powerpro reg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

FYI Fleet Farm is having a sale March 29 and 30th on Fire Line $12.99 for a 125 yard spool.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Power Pro all the way…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.