My snow blower’s not working…

• Reef W

What makes the drive weak until it heats up? Mine barely works at all, if there is any resistance whatsoever, for about 10-15 minutes and then works it’s way up to beast mode over maybe 30 minutes. Would be nice to not have to let it sit for so long.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What makes the drive weak until it heats up? Mine barely works at all, if there is any resistance whatsoever, for about 10-15 minutes and then works it’s way up to beast mode over maybe 30 minutes. Would be nice to not have to let it sit for so long.

First, I’d check the drive belt. With the cover off, you should be able to see if the belt is slipping when drive lever is engaged.

If the belt is slipping, you need to figure out why. Could be as simple as a worn belt, or more complicated like a shaft bearing that is failing.

If belt is driving, next is to check the friction drive disc and plate. Is the disc worn or damaged? Is the drive plate getting oil or grease on it from somewhere?

When drive lever is engaged is the drive disc engaging the plate and turning it is it slipping?

Lots of possibilities here.

Musky Ed

Back when I got out of the service in 70, I worked for the Sumner repairing lawnmowers for my uncles hardware store. Saw everything you could imagine. The best ones were the moms and wife’s that would show up with a box of parts in the trunk and ask if we could help them. Always told them no problem, we can fix it, without any funny after comments. They had enough problems as I never did see their kids or husband’s come in with them to admit they screwed up. The wife always got to do the dirty work, so no sense in making it worse.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Probably 8 years ago it snowed most of the day on Saturday and wasn’t going to end until Sunday morning to I waited to snow blow my driveway then. Everything was going fine. The TroyBilt was humming away throwing a nice arc of snow. Then I heard it bog down and the snow was all of a sudden multi-colored. Yes, I found the Sunday paper. Hah!! whistling Took me 10-15 minutes to clear it all out but no damage was done.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Well, with all the snow we have gotten I am starting to run out of room to stack it so this is when i turn to my blower. I haven’t even looked at it for 2-3 years. I went out at lunch and drained the old gas out of the tank and put some new gas in, checked the oil (looks great), 4-5 pulls later and it fired up and runs great. I can feel it is a little hard to shift so the shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed and the belts are 23 years old so I ordered new ones but hopefully it will get through today to move the snow I have left….fingers crossed.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

How are we this far past Snowmagedon and no one posted here yet? Grouse must be busy…
    I’m sure he can relate to this story.

Neighbor is usually first to have his driveway cleared. Today, all quiet and snow filled.

Him: “Hey neighbor, can you peak at why my snowblower won’t go in gear? It was making noise and only running in one gear last storm”

Attachments:
    1. 20230223_152217-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27

the friction disc has been wore out for years! amazes me how some people can neglect things for so long hah

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My self propulsion cable came loose about halfway through my driveway. My blower still works, but I have to push the dang thing now. I’ll take a closer look at it this weekend when it warms up. Hopefully we’re done with the big snow falls for the winter.

tim hurley

Mine hates the cold weather (and its a dang snowblower!) 10plus and its fine. After you start you have to slowly & carefully move the choke and throtle, then when its really going it is fine, kinda wish I had not bought an off brand, like that it is big and noisy, sounds to the wife like I am working hard.

dirtywater

Realized I’d lost a shear pin a few minutes into the big clearing today. I have extras in the garage but Just went over everything twice with only the left side working. Repair can wait til it’s warmer.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.