My Report 5/18-5/20

• Jonesy

So made it to my favorite place to fish late Thursday aftenoon. Set up camp on Stony Point and got the boat out to do some evening/night trolling (never fished in the spring so just did what I do in the fall) Managed to get 1 eye 16.5 inches around pine point doing this.

On friday we got some shiners and went out. Heard rumors about Annex reef so headed out there. Pulled jigs and minnows on submarine island and annex reef. Started to see some fish caught and saw a lot of northerns caught. We got 4 northerns out there and 3 walleyes Wind started up and we all started to drift. All the walleyes were in the slot. I would say 90%+ of the fish that I saw caught were tossed back. After this we went and tried Otter tail and hardwood with nothing. Moved the Goose flats and got 3 walleyes all smaller than 13 inches. This made me happy as it has been years since I have caught a small walleye on leech. We then moved to pine point did some drifts with nothing to show for it. Saw a couple caught but nothing really exciting. Started to troll and got 2 huge rock bass and 2 walleyes towards the end of the night. Biggest one was 19.5 inches. Going back to Stony was interesting. Lake had really kicked up and was blowing directly into the stony point landing. Take a few waves over the bow and nervously laughed at the boat doing lighted bobbers out there haha.

On Saturday we got out and it was windy, rainy, sleeting, and cold. Tried some of the secluded bays looking for panfish and perch. Found some rock bass, a couple perch, and a 4.5 pound bowfin. First time I had ever caught one of those. Thought I had a huge walleye on at first. We tried some more places and tried to make it past pine point to an area I wanted to try but we were pretty wet by this point and decided not to. We were the last boat at the Walker launch. At 5PM on a saturday. Got in just in time as literally as the boat came out of the water the wind felt like it doubled and there was a squall line that made it impossible to see sand point.

We were supposed to camp saturday night but I was sick of being wet and cold. My camping buddy was at a wedding all day so I was with his dad. Decided to pull camp early and stay at his Dads house. Never got out on sunday but the weather looked like it was supposed to do more of the same.

Always fun being up at Leech but I am concerned about what effects the slots are starting to have. Was also told that the lake is in the very early stages of a zebra muscle infestation. I will be back in october. Hopefully with better results.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.