My New Otter Pro Cabin Thermal Tec/Layout Predicament

• Tonka
    Minnesota

I just wanted to post a few pics of my new Otter. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year from Reeds, but am glad that I held out because of the new gray sled, and the new thermal tec canvas. I got the runners, hitch, and cover with it as well.

Pretty pumped to get on the ice and test out the thermal, I’ve never fished from one and am updating from the Clam Yukon. The difference in Canvas (Shell) is night and day, as well as the sled. The Otter sled just seems better quality and it has a tapered front for the deep snow. Another positive I noticed immediately was the ease of the pole system, and the heavier duty aluminum. My Yukon had a few bends in the frame which made it hard at times to extend and collapse the shelter.

On the down side, the cabin sled is more narrow and has way less room for my equipment. In exchange I get an additional 2 sq ft but it’s not really noticeable. On my Yukon, I could put a crate between the seats for propane, a bigger crate behind the seat bar for buddy heater, and two pals behind each seat for your flashers. It was perfect with storage underneath the seats you could put minnow bucket or any other additional gear. Once folded up id tuck my rod case in the canvas, and throw the auger on top. For me it was the most efficient setup I could come up with. Now the crates are tight and the bar for the seats covers the back crate for my heater, so you have to awkwardly angle it in. The pals behind the seats are out of the question as well. My question is how do others lay out their sled for their gear?

Any suggestions to figure out a similar/efficient setup would be appreciated. Also, does anyone else wish the sled was a little wider, I doubt the difference in weight would be noticeable, and the 2 square feet of fishing area will be unnoticed by most as well. Lastly, I felt like the instructions were poor, and a YouTube video would be much appreciated. Alright, that’s my dislike and I don’t mean to come off negative, I’m pumped and thankful I got this house and cant wait to fish in it. Thanks for the responses.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Pic Attempt

Tonka
    Minnesota

Sorry I don’t know why photos won’t show, I added file at bottom and clicked submit?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I upgraded to a pro cabin last year as well and definitely agree the sled storage can be tricky and the seat bar is always in the way. I just learn to deal with it and now require some time to get things in the right place once I’m at the spot. I’ve always put my heater and propane on ice in front of me so that helps with storing in the sled once I’m set up. I will say though, so much warmer than anything else I’ve fished in. Most times I’ve got the heater on low. Wife is much more comfortable in it too. Any you know what they say, “happy wife, more time on the ice” which equals happy life for me!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Junk the seats and build a custom bench seat across the back of the tub. Make it high enough so 5gal pails fit underneath it. The seat has to be built so it will lay down when in transport. Mine is like sitting on your couch, with end tables on each side. The other plus is that your feet are inside the tub while fishing. You will have way more room inside and the heater isn’t right in your face. PM for more information if interested

CaptainMusky

Junk the seats and build a custom bench seat across the back of the tub. Make it high enough so 5gal pails fit underneath it. The seat has to be built so it will lay down when in transport. Mine is like sitting on your couch, with end tables on each side. The other plus is that your feet are inside the tub while fishing. You will have way more room inside and the heater isn’t right in your face. PM for more information if interested

How about posting some pics? I like that idea of a bench. It would be perfect for my house that my 3 boys will be using.

ndmlotw

Here’s a couple pictures of my setup. I fabricated a mount for a 10 lb propane tank which fits behind the seat base. I also made a box out of aluminum that fits my sunflower heater. Then made a couple wooden boxes for the heater box and other miscellaneous things.

The auger, flasher, bait, etc all ride in my Polaris Widetrak.

Attachments:
    1. 20151023_195134.jpg

2. 20151023_195118.jpg

Tonka
    Minnesota

Nathan I was thinking that a 10lb lp tank would be a better option, plus it’s lighter, I sent puddlepounder a message so hoping to get some pics of his layout, but I’d really like to fit those pals in the sled, I’m thinking I might put the seats behind the rail and put the buckets where the seats are when their in use as suggested by pp but it just doesn’t leave too much extra room but if i ponder long enough, i might be able to come up with something else, thakns for the help everyone

Tonka
    Minnesota

photo attempt

puddlepounder

I will attempt to post some pictures

puddlepounder

lets see if it works

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse.jpg

puddlepounder

ttt

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-2.jpg

puddlepounder

abc

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-3.jpg

puddlepounder

def

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-4.jpg

puddlepounder

ghi

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-5.jpg

puddlepounder

jkl

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-6.jpg

puddlepounder

mno

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-7.jpg

puddlepounder

pqr

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse-8.jpg

puddlepounder

stu

Attachments:
    1. fishhouse1.jpg

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Here’s a couple pictures of my setup. I fabricated a mount for a 10 lb propane tank which fits behind the seat base. I also made a box out of aluminum that fits my sunflower heater. Then made a couple wooden boxes for the heater box and other miscellaneous things.

The auger, flasher, bait, etc all ride in my Polaris Widetrak.

I am just curious. I also have a 10lb bottle that I run my buddy heater with. How many hours do you think you can get with your sunflower heater and a 10lb bottle on lets say low.

CaptainMusky

Thanks for the pics Puddle! I like what you did there, neat idea. I might try and configure something like that.

ndmlotw

mazak500, I did some quick math to answer your question. My sunflower heater puts out 8,000 BTUs/hr on low and 15,000 BTUs/hr on high. Propane has roughly 22,000 BTUs/lb. So a 10 lb tank has 220,000 BTUs. So, on low a 10 lb tank would last 27.5 hrs and on high it would last 14.7 hrs.

Tonka
    Minnesota

I’m going to consider this puddlepounder thanks for getting pictures up, any tips on that so I can post my new house?

Tonka
    Minnesota

Pic

Attachments:
    1. 1025151645.jpg

Tonka
    Minnesota

Pic 2

Attachments:
    1. 1025151644a.jpg

2. 1025151644.jpg

3. 1025151645a.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.