My Leech L. Opening Morning

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

My group had a good morning. We got away from the crowds and found 2/3 slot fish and 1/3 keepers. Most of the slot fish were 23″-26″. 1/8 oz jig and shiner worked best for us. The fish were filleted in time for lunch. It felt GREAT to be out there.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0360.jpg

2. RIMG0359.jpg

3. RIMG0358.jpg

4. RIMG0366.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It was a slower start for us on the south end. It took a few hours to get a program going. Biggest fish so far is 23″. The rest around 20. Jigs and rainbows have been the best for us in 13′ with a couple on #5 Rippin Raps. We’re in for a quick bite before heading back out.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I was thinking that it might warm up a little faster out there today, I was wishing I had not left that down coat in the truck.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Yea it was a chilly one in the AM. I think the cold front had them a little lethargic. I had 3 in the boat we had about 70% keepers couple to small and rest were 21″-25″ pulled about 25-30 eyes several pike as well. Rainbows and shiners both on 1/8 oz jigs.

Attachments:
    1. 20150509_194742.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

We ground it out for a few hours this morning but that wind was sure fresh. Not all that many boats out.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0367.jpg

2. RIMG0369.jpg

What a good weekend out on the lake. It sounds like it was great all over the lake. Cannot wait to see the t.v. show next week. We caught a lot of fish up shallow right out of our Marina harbor on Smithwick Rogues, Shadow raps and Husky Jerks.

Attachments:
    1. joshwalleyeshore.jpg

2. nightdadfish.jpg

3. nightjoefish.jpg

4. Dadfish.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Nice pics Josh! I’m looking forward to that show too.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nice pics Josh! I’m looking forward to that show too.

We had a great time up on Leech for the opener on Saturday. It did get a little snotty on the south shore mid-day once the winds started to kick. We held out fishing Roger’s Pt. until our 80# Terrova would no longer hold our position on max power. At that point we went and hit a back bay with some deeper water and finished out the show out of the wind!

Thanks for the fantastic hospitality, Josh! We’ll definitely be back.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We eventually tucked tail from getting a slice of humble pie on a new lake, and headed over to Leech Saturday night. Ran cranks for a few hours and only put two in the boat. The wind sure didn’t want to quit until the front showed up.

JAnderson

We fished all day Saturday near Stony Pt. The constant waves were draining. We did very well all day. Boated 50 on Saturday between 3 of us. Several large fish with the biggest being 26.5″. Jig and minnow all day. Fish seemed to like pink jig and rainbow combination the best. We were running a fairly small boat and made the decision to head home on Sunday when the wind increase and rain came. Ended up coming back to Wisconsin to fish on my off of work Monday!

Overall, one of the best openers on Leech I can remember.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

My group also did well On leech both days. 1/8 ozs jigs shiner and rainbows did the trick for our Limits.

Sunday the winds had us fishing in rollers 3 to 4ft tuffed it out for a three man limit then headed in around ten. It was a good opener.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It looked like you guys were right at home in that big wind out there Bob.

My best days so far have been in the really nasty stuff.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG0422.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.