My boat was molested by an AIS inspector!

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

Last Friday on a local lake the inspector was out of control. First she had no clue how to operate her tablet to enter in information….anyone can have a bad day or mistake so no big deal but it took forever. Then she proceeds to start rubbing her hands on the side of my boat starting at the bow and moving toward the back. I finally told her to STOP! She only made it down 2-3 feet on the first side of the boat. First, she has a ring on one hand and also the side of my boat is full of dust. I live on a gravel road. She asked why and I told her she was damaging the finish on my boat with grinding the dust and her ring into to finish. Won’t happen again!

Anyone else have this happen???

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ma’am, why don’t you slide that ring off and we both can hop in the boat, there are some drawers I’d like you to check in there….. moon

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Haha nice!

Ma’am, why don’t you slide that ring off and we both can hop in the boat, there are some drawers I’d like you to check in there….. moon

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t get it, why was she rubbing her hands on your boat? never had that sort of inspection before.

404 ERROR
    MN

Ma’am, why don’t you slide that ring off and we both can hop in the boat, there are some drawers I’d like you to check in there…..

bow bow bow toast

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

What he said X2

munchy
    NULL

I don’t get it, why was she rubbing her hands on your boat? never had that sort of inspection before.

They run their hands down the hull feeling for zebra mussel veligers. Usually they are touching below where the water line should be. If she was touching below the waterline the OP is blowing this a little out of proportion. Driving up and down a gravel road, loading and unloading on the trailer, and beaching on a sand beach, is going to do more damage than a pair of hands.

Now if she was running along the upper portion you may have a gripe and she should be tought the proper way. However being impatient and yelling at the person and complaining about it on the internets is not going to solve the problem.

FryDog62

My advisor in college over 30 years ago taught me:

“Those with the least amount of power tend to use it all the time.”

Still rings true to this day ~

Mocha
    Park Rapids

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

They run their hands down the hull feeling for zebra mussel veligers. Usually they are touching below where the water line should be. If she was touching below the waterline the OP is blowing this a little out of proportion. Driving up and down a gravel road, loading and unloading on the trailer, and beaching on a sand beach, is going to do more damage than a pair of hands.

Now if she was running along the upper portion you may have a gripe and she should be tought the proper way. However being impatient and yelling at the person and complaining about it on the internets is not going to solve the problem.

Quit judgmental Munchy!

She was running her hands on the upper freeboard painted section. So you are the boat paint expert? And you can tell from my original post that there was no damage or the potential for damage? I was MORE than patient with her ineptitude and I did not yell but then you must know this since it sounds like you must have been there?

For your final comment about complaining on the internet…..Yes I am! The MN AIS program is laughable at best! Besides the DNR & my state representatives, just exactly where should I voice my complaint???

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

fwiw, the young lady at the big park launch in Walker on Leech last week did a wonderful job. yes, she hand-checked the boat below the water line, and visually inspected the outside for weeds. yes, she asked about where i’d been prior (Cass) and where i was going next (home to WI), as well as asking (but not looking) if my livewells were empty and open.
    the thing that improved my willingness was that she was polite and friendly about it. i’ve had different experiences – especially on small lakes with association members working as inspectors – where they’ve been rude and demanding while treating my boat like a crime scene and me as the chief suspect. that’s where the problems arise for me, and it was nice to have a better experience this go round.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Quit judgmental Munchy!

She was running her hands on the upper freeboard painted section. So you are the boat paint expert? And you can tell from my original post that there was no damage or the potential for damage? I was MORE than patient with her ineptitude and I did not yell but then you must know this since it sounds like you must have been there?

For your final comment about complaining on the internet…..Yes I am! The MN AIS program is laughable at best! Besides the DNR & my state representatives, just exactly where should I voice my complaint???

How am I being judgmental? And speaking of judgmental who’s the one complaining about the lady not using the iPad fast enough for you, “molesting” your boat, and calling someone you just met inept?!

I did say you have a gripe if she was running her hands along the upper portion, did I not?!

There are the correct places to take your complaint. But a place like this, where nothing can be done except a dogpile of “DNR inspector haters” can pile on is not going to help anything.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Has anyone contacted the DNR about any of these problems?

If you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem.

basseyes

The AIS deal is complete debacle. I get respecting people, the powers that be and a young intern trying to make money sitting at an access, but external inspections are muted by so many factors from bunk trailer carpet, to areas of the trailer they don’t inspect that can harbor weeds, seeds and any number of totally unseen AIS, it is an absolute effort in futility what they are doing. I’ve gotten to the point I will not let them inspect my boat anymore and will drive to a different access or use a resort if one is sitting at an access. Imo they have absolutely no right or true high ground to stand on for actually stopping the spread of AIS until they do a full boat/trailer purge including livewells, baitwells, inside trailer tubing, etc. Until that day these vanity fondlings and groppings are non consensual and are nothing more than titillation for an ineffective, unrealistic, incompetent agency entrusted to manage our natural resources that wastes valuable financial resources on inefficient, ineffective programs like “stopping” the spread of AIS. If anyone honestly thinks what they are doing is going to stop the spread with their current mentality or direction, please enlighten me on how they are doing that currently with dealing with birds and watershed spread through controlling flowing water contamination, please, please, tell me now, cause I’d be very willing to listen? Dealing with one element and not the others is ignorant at best but probably more in line with a dogmatic, idiotic ideology that is based in educated idiocy of I know better just because, when common sense dictates their current path to stopping the spread of AIS is just sTaH-oO-pId.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

^^^^AGREE 100%^^^^

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Lord Love WI River Accesses. toast

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve already apologized to one fella that got a $138. ticket for traveling with his plug in. (and the AIS training class)

I apologized for electing the officials or electing the officials that appointed these people that past these feel good laws.

Sorry MN DNR, I support your work but not when it comes to the AIS laws. Just can’t get on that band wagon.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I’ve already apologized to one fella that got a $138. ticket for traveling with his plug in. (and the AIS training class)

I apologized for electing the officials or electing the officials that appointed these people that past these feel good laws.

Sorry MN DNR, I support your work but not when it comes to the AIS laws. Just can’t get on that band wagon.

Brian agree %100!

Sorry to Munchy ….. are you a DNR employee or water inspector???

blank

If anyone honestly thinks what they are doing is going to stop the spread with their current mentality or direction, please enlighten me on how they are doing that currently with dealing with birds and watershed spread through controlling flowing water contamination, please, please, tell me now, cause I’d be very willing to listen? Dealing with one element and not the others is ignorant at best but probably more in line with a dogmatic, idiotic ideology that is based in educated idiocy of I know better just because, when common sense dictates their current path to stopping the spread of AIS is just sTaH-oO-pId.

I was checked by a DNR inspector on the east side of Mille Lacs a few weeks ago. I brought up this idea from people who argue that birds, turtles, waterflow, etc will transport AIS. The very informative and friendly (it helps if you’re friendly and respectful in return) gal I spoke with mentioned Lake Ossawinnamakee in Crow Wing County which has been infested with zebra mussels since 2006, but Kimball Lake which is connected to Ossi, and less than 600ft away still has no known zebra mussels. I’d say that’s a good example of the false notion that wildlife as AIS transporters are a legitimate concern. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the list of infested lakes, and those in which have been infested the longest are also the most popular recreational lakes in the state, their proximity to the metro area, popular recreation areas, and main highways.

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

As far as i am concerned the DNR both Minnesota and Wisconsin drop the ball on AIS. Zebra mussels and milfiol have for over 20 years. the time to start AIS inspections was then. now it is like putting the horse behind the cart. It is inevitable that all lake a going to infected it is just a matter of time.

I am so tried of the weed police that if they are at the landing i am going to i just go to a different landing

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the list of infested lakes, and those in which have been infested the longest are also the most popular recreational lakes in the state, their proximity to the metro area, popular recreation areas, and main highways.

That’s been my comeback to those who blame it on wildlife forever. By recreation I hope you mean fishing lakes as well. Those recognized as mostly fishing destinations are most likely to have ais.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Brian agree %100!

Sorry to Munchy ….. are you a DNR employee or water inspector???

Nope, never worked for them, and can’t even recall a single person I know personally that has worked for them. Though I did date a girl who was an environmental engineer for the WI DNR does that take away all my credibility?

And for the record I have never once stated I agree with the AIS laws, there are probably better ways to go about it. But it is FAR better than what the folks in the western states have to deal with.

I just dont agree with the whining and complaining going on about it. Have an issue? Go to the people that can actually make a difference. Email your elected officials, call the local dnr office, talk to the wardens. We all know, on all the forums, people don’t like the AIS laws, but do you actually think the DNR is patrolling the forums looking for complaints???

Just to repeat what biggill said

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Crickets. whistling

And personally, I have not had a bad experience with them. While I do believe there is something behind some of these stories, there’s always another side to the story.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Crickets. whistling

And personally, I have not had a bad experience with them. While I do believe there is something behind some of these stories, there’s always another side to the story.

I have a feeling those crickets will be around for a while.

And I agree, I have been checked numerous times, never an issue. One older gentleman was so nice we sat and talked fishing for probably 30 minutes before I launched. He gave me some tips and spots to the lake as well, since it was my first time on that particular lake.

I have learned patience is a virtue in all areas of life, including the AIS inspections. Getting all worked up for such a minor detail in your daily life only hurts yourself.

basseyes

I really don’t have a problem with keeping boats and trailers clean or pulling plugs, been doing all that since before the ais issues. My biggest hurdle comes from the reality and funds allocated towards things that although troubling, are going to spread without totally decontamination of a trailer and boat.

Another question that never seems conveniently or easily answered is what happens when a lake has all the problematic AIS? Those should have pools we can totally decontaminate the trailer, boat and plumbing in the boat so there’s at least a realistic good chance we get 90% of the problem areas taken care of vs just a basic surface clean instead of a detailed cleansing.

Have voiced my concerns and had long talks with dnr employees about it and never taken it out on the kids at the launches. One dnr employee told me after a long heated conversation that realistically they can’t stop it and honestly the steps they are taking currently aren’t nearly enough to do much other than appeasing lake home owner associations. I understand that,but it concerns me the avenue this is giving lake home owners associations in regards to owning a public resource by feeling it’s theirs. In Minnesota water is public still and a lot of lake home owners would like that to change and have it under control of a small number of affluent private individuals. That’s my biggest issue with it and concerns me greatly. To say oh it’s no big deal, it’s not currently, but it could very easily drag public access to water down a legislature nightmare costing the dnr more resources and time dealing with an issue being used as a platform for other issues. That’s very, very concerning for me.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>
    I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the list of infested lakes, and those in which have been infested the longest are also the most popular recreational lakes in the state, their proximity to the metro area, popular recreation areas, and main highways.

That’s been my comeback to those who blame it on wildlife forever. By recreation I hope you mean fishing lakes as well. Those recognized as mostly fishing destinations are most likely to have ais.

Yes, I mean fishing lakes as well. I believe fishing can be classified as recreation. I’ve seen too many hissy fits from people who get butthurt with the AIS stuff because they feel that the evil DNR is singling out fishermen because they tend to forget about all of the other watercrafts that enjoy our state’s waters.

Pretty sure I’m on the same page as you biggill on the AIS fight and the inspectors. I’ve never had any issues with any DNR, county, or lake association folks who I have encountered at accesses over the years and on multiple bodies of water across the state.

Timmy

I don’t get why I only get checked while ENTERING infested waters. When I leave those INFESTED waters, I am usually not checked.

WTF kind of genius tries to stop a disease by putting on a condom AFTER dipping his rig in contaminated waters???

I don’t get it? whistling

PB2

Spot on…. no we are not DNR employees…lol..on this story my bs meter maxing out..

.I couldn’t have been more embarrassed by the last 2 friends I’ve launched boats with….total jackle lanterns over a simple inspection….in which both had plugs in and water in their live wells even though multiple people have told them they shouldn’t do that way…..they just started out beung a s s e s before the young lady even said hello…
    And in typical fashion they totally embellished “LIED ABOUT” the story as the weekend progressed…lol.

So your boat was molested ?

Thats pathetic to say the least!

basseyes

I don’t get why I only get checked while ENTERING infested waters. When I leave those INFESTED waters, I am usually not checked.

WTF kind of genius tries to stop a disease by putting on a condom AFTER dipping his rig in contaminated waters???

I don’t get it? whistling

X2 EXACTLY!

I’ve never taken it out on the teenagers sitting at the access. And could careless about the plug or cleaning my rig off, would do that even if the law didn’t exist. My main issue with it is it’s complete ineffectiveness and the backwards thought process. And yea I and others have verbalized and contacted the dnr about it’s lack of effectiveness and putting undo processing on the general public for something that is absolutely ineffective in its current state. A guy has to get checked going into already infested waters, but not pulling out? Please explain the logic to that? It makes no sense? In infested waters inspectors should be there informing and helping make sure people have access to a power washer and be informed before going down the road. Checking for ais before backing into an already infested lake would be a mute point if ever boat was cleaned off after loading up and hitting the road which in all practicality makes way more sense. There’s so many resort accesses and private launches that will never be able to be monitored, sitting at public accesses alone is no realistic cure all bandaid.

To think it’s directed at the kids sitting at the access I get that. But to just follow along blindly like sheep is worse imo than taking issues with a waste of funds, resources and a totally idiotic failed idea of how we are going to address the spread of ais when they are already here and still infecting new lakes every year.

Does recreational boating spread them? Darn straight it does.

Is it going to stop them with surface checks at public accesses? Not a chance.

One dnr employee said at best it will slow the spread minimally. So to me it seems this is more a pr process to seem like they are doing something vs actually doing something.

There’s people in the field who believe we should be allocating funds to eliminate or control them in the water vs trying to stop transporting them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.