Mounting totalscan transducer on 16' aluminum boat

• watisituya
    North Metro

Hey guys, my girlfriend went out and bought me a boat as a early b day surprise the other day and I’m trying to mount my lowrance total scan transducer. I bought a mounting plate and want to still use the hummingbird that came with the boat. Couple of questions.

-does everyone just drill into the transom and use some specific sealer?
    -my motor doesn’t have a jack plate so I’m guessing one side of side imaging will be lost unless motor is trimmed?
    – is there a specific distance I want between the lowrance and hummingbird transducers?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1222.jpg

2. IMG_1221.jpg

3. IMG_1220.jpg

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I think I have more questions than you do.

saugeye-steve

Marine Goop is a great product for this application.

Crappy Fisherman

I would mount it on a Star Board. I have the Total Scan transducer mounted on the port side 7 inches from the lower unit on a 1875 Lund Pro Guide. Mount it flush with the bottom of the hull. You shouldn’t lose any side scan unless you have the motor trimmed all the way down which is only when getting on plane. Top end on my boat is 38 mph and the sonar and structure scan read good wide open throttle. You will really like the Total Scan it reads the bottom well. You can’t run the Lowrance and Humminbird 83/200 at the same time they will cross talk. I think you could run Chirp on one and 83/200 on the other at the same time.

watisituya
    North Metro

Thank you all for the info, I think for this weekend i am going to use something like this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Portable-Transducer-Bracket/699847.uts and see how that goes. Once i get it permanently mounted ill post some pics.

Another thing, For registration, all my girlfriend received was a trailer title transfer card the size of a post card and a written note stating the boat was sold to her. Is this sufficient? The boat has 2017 tags on it but i am wondering if i should get it all figured out now vs trying to track down stuff next year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You still need to transfer it even though the registration is good.

Crappy Fisherman

Do wouldn’t waste my money on that. It’s not meant for high speed use.

watisituya
    North Metro

Thanks for the info Crappy Fisherman, that is good to know. I think i may still pick it up just to try the transducer in different locations until i find a sweet spot. Definitely good to know ahead of time that this mount is not meant for high speed.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

The boat has 2017 tags on it
    doesn’t this mean it runs out of registration Mar of 2017 mine did?
    Stan wave

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The boat has 2017 tags on it
    doesn’t this mean it runs out of registration Mar of 2017 mine did?

MN registrations expire on 12/31.

watisituya
    North Metro

Thanks guys, we plan to register the boat as soon as possible, She did all the transfer paperwork with the seller, and her name was listed as the buyer. It is my understanding that it will then have to be registered in her name.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.