Fishing midges, etc.

• sloughman

I’m new to fly fishing, but it seems like from what is being posted that using midges is the way to go for this time-of-year. Are these fished with strike indicators? And where are the fished? I’d assume pools and not rapids. This right?
    Also, are there other flies that are working now? And are they fished with indicators?

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Midge larvae and emergers can be fished with indicators just like regualr nymphs. You’ll just have to vary in the water column where those flies are. I’d suggest looking to fish hatches like midges (pretty common), and BWO (very common this time of year). I’d only fish dries if there were fish rising, otherwise, I’d stick to nymphs.

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

Dave, are strike indicators a good way of showing bites or are they best used for setting a nymph to a certain depth?

Also would you use a small split shot above the nymph if being used in faster runs.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I like strike indicators for all fo what you just described. If I’m using small dries like midges or tricos, then I may use a strike indicator to help me at least see the general area where my fly is (not so much to actually show the strike itself).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.