Boot Cleats For Winter

• sloughman

I plan to try trout fishing this winter; most likely in the Whitewater area. I have some hip waders and was wondering if it is recommended or even legit to slip on some ice cleats for this. Also, do others wear these year-round?

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

You can certainly get by with hip waders because during the winter, without the natural surroundings to cover you during the spring-fall months, you have a tendency to stick out like a sore thumb. With that said, staying out of the water and causing as little commotion as possible is a must. Just dress warm in case your feet do end up in the water. I happen to wear both hippers and boot foot waders (no neoprene) during the year. If it’s really warm out (summer months), I wear my wading boots and an old pair of cotton camo pants with swim trunks underneath.

You should be able to function just fine with hippers; cleats are optional. There won’t be so much slippery ice that would absolutely call for cleats.

StaleMackrel

Hi, I have never understood why one would wade deep to fish trout in this area whether winter or summer! I have gone into riffle areas crouched down so as not to spook but why wade deep? I have never figured out why someone would do this. Maybe you guys/gals could enlighten me. I am always willing to learn more because sometimes a fish with a pea sized brain seems to out smart me!

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

You’re right about the wading part. I try to stay out of the water as much as water – less spooking of the fish. I think lots of people wade too much because they don’t know any better. They see TV shows and what not of guys stnding int he middle of river flinging flies and think that’s the way to do it everywhere. Obviously it is a necessity at times to get in the water, but fishing from a knee is more often the norm for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.