One of Minnesota Rivers Finest (Vid Clip)

• larry_haugh
    MN

Below is the Video of the 45lb fish being released.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S9N67fxb6Kk

Once again I had the pleasure of Fishing with my partner Dtro in the Moore’s Contest, out of Moore’s Bait and Tackle This is the 4th out of 5 contests this season for Catfish. There were approximately 16 particepants in this contest, on a very interesting night to say the least.

Everyone was wondering how the bite was going to be with the recent rains. Friday night from shakopee to St.Paul recieved approximately 2.5 inches of rain. With more in the forecast for Sat evening with the possibility for some sever weather we were hopeful that this would be a trigger for big fish.

The night started out miserably hot. The only time you felt relief was when you were motoring in between spots. Otherwise the humidity was stiffeling. Our goal was to hit some new spots and fall back on honey holes if they didn’t produce.

As fate would have it we found at least 1 new honey hole maybe two and didn’t have to use the fall backs. (It was a very active night for bumps, missed runs and excited baits)

about an hour after getting set up the weather started to turn. The marine radio was listing more sever weather warnings than I could count from up north from St. Cloud to South of Red Wing. As it approached, we battened down the hatches and donned the foul weather gear. (which was even more miserable till the Monsoon hit.) It was a bit a deja vu for us, last year we weathered a similar storm during a contest to pull some nice fish.

While the rain was pouring we could barely keep a bait in the water, with out getting smacked. Its fun but not easy when you have use cooler lids to keep from getting pecked by the hail. We debated seeking safety at one point but the threat of lightning was low, so we stayed put for the time being.

Once the storm moved on it was relief. The air was much cooler and drier. Things were a little damp but over all a beautiful clear night with the start of the Persied meteor show. (I probably saw over 2 dozen shooting stars)

Over all we boated close 6 channels ranging from 3-10 lbs

and one of Minnesota Rivers Finest……. A 45inch length by 30inch Girth Tipping the scales at 45LBs. My personal Best and the largest I’ve seen netted on the MN river. (I was glad I made a wish on one of those shooting stars)

Overall the majority of the participants would have classified the bite as slow. A few nice channels were caught, but only 2 Flatheads out of a field of 16 is a little on the slim side. The weather was the probable factor. We needed the rain, but that is a lot to get in two consecutive nights.

aanderud

Great story, I love the part about the cooler lids. Well, that part and the part about the HUGE fish! Nice job, guys! You’re on a tear! Wow, the legendary team of Dtro and Larry strikes again!

Congrats on the PB, and good job sticking out the weather!

Oh geez I just watched the video! Nice lick!!!

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

Wow !!!!! What a fish, great job boys !

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s not so much a tear they are on as it is another day at the office!

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

It’s not so much a tear they are on as it is another day at the office!

Gosh Pug
    Maybe I should Give Mike Row/Roe a call. Do you think that this might qualify….

(Another day at the office….. ) Funny

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Wow! Nice fish Larry!

You really licked it! (I think every one else was faking it in other videos)!

Jon

tloranger
    Rosemount, Mn

Larry congrats very very nice!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Awesome fish Larry!

Your put in your time and were rewarded greatly.

Not too often I get to see a 52 and a 45 in the same week. Maybe I should put the rods up and call it a year

Hopefully the wish I made on the star will come true as well

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Gosh Pug

Maybe I should Give Mike Row/Roe a call. Do you think that this might qualify….

(Another day at the office….. ) Funny

Dirty Job? It’s about jobs that are gross and not fun, the exact opposite of catfishing.

I just watched the video this morn. So you guys stayed out on the water when the storm hit? Wasn’t it lightning at the time it was storming? I watched the light show to the S-SW from my house once it got dark.

The light show was so persistent, I was able to randomly snap about 40 picts and 4 of them turned out pretty good. Here they are and I had to adjust the levels a bit. Times like that I wish I had a digital where I could adjust the shutter speed.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice fish and great video Larry!!
    Congrats!

-J.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Dang you Larry

Great fish, great story, and another win under your belt

I wish I could find a fish lately

Daddy Day care this weekend and no fishing makes Brenty a sad boy.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That is just way cool Larry

I bet that fish still gets the willy’s thinking of that slimy thing lickin’ is head

Congrats Sir

the_j-man
    St. Paul, MN

Great fish Larry, thanks for posting the vid!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Nice fish Larry Congrats to you and dtro. You two certainly seem to have things figured out

larry_haugh
    MN

Thanks everyone,

Tony,
    Welcome back to the Scene, I was wondering about you a few weeks back, then crossed paths the Fireman in BP league and your name came up. I know that Pug is aweful excited to have you back as a fishing partner.
    Were glad to see you back posting.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Way to go Larry. Very nice fish. Thanks for the video.
    Thanks, Bill

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

congrats

she even had the courtesy to wave good bye and give u a big ol’ splash!

eddiechurch

Larry we had 7 flats and 7 channels for team snakes and sparklers

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Larry we had 7 flats and 7 channels for team snakes and sparklers

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Thanks everyone,
    I know that Pug is aweful excited to have you back as a fishing partner.

Shhhh! I may be why he left!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

C’mon Pug you know that isn’t the reason I have been absent for, well…..too long. This year has been very-stressfull to say the least Lost my job and my fiance told me to take a hike all within 2 weeks of each other back in the spring and I am now just getting myself back on track. I have been lurking from time to time, glad to see things haven’t changed here too much I am back to work and FINALLY getting back to fishing, thank the stars above

I have got a good feeling about that Sept. contest coming up Pug- You’re ready to see the tides change, right? All joking aside-I have missed way to much fun this year from the way it sounds.

Thanks to everyone! It’s good to be back

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Pug- You’re ready to see the tides change, right?

Yes!!! we need all the help we can get… … and Welcome back Tony….

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Yes!!! we need all the help we can get…

Bring your friends and pack a lunch.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Moores Bait

Tony good to have you back in the fold. Who knows, maybe things will be diiferent come Sept 15th for the last catfish contest of the season. By the looks of the board it will be just me fishing it. So the question would be if Larry & Dtro think they have one more in them. I would like to thank Mr Church, and Mr Banes for coming up and showing us city slickers how to get the job done. Thanks again to all that participated, and hope to be able to go head to head with you again next month.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

the 15th?????
    ooo boy, that’s a night after our BPCL. Might be tough to pull off.

Moores Bait

Sorry Dtro, but my brother is in town that week and really wanted to take part in one of these. You may loose some sleep, but you and the flats will have all winter long to rest…Who knows maybe Larry will pull fire watch while you sleep….

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

Quote:

the 15th?????

You’ve done it before.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

the 15th?????

You’ve done it before.

I have…..?

I swear to everthing I know of, I feel like I’ve aged a whole year this past year.

Not only is my sleep pattern off kilter, there is no sleep to have a pattern.

I know

I guess I could probably pull it off, but I tell ya what, an all nighter on Sept 15 could get mighty cold

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

:I guess I could probably pull it off, but I tell ya what, an all nighter on Sept 15 could get mighty cold

GOT KLEENEX!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.