Interesting observation tonight

• MachineHead

Sitting in the boat tonight I had fish slurping mayfly bodies off the surface all around me. So when curiousity (read as bored) got to me, I dug out the spotlight and zeroed in one fish that was milling a few feet away for several minutes. Much to my surprise it was a channel cat. And there were a LOT of channel cats it turned out. Nothing very large, maybe 2 pounders, but they were literally everywhere for nearly two hours gorging themselves.

I even tried to tempt them with a crawler below a very short slip bobber to no avail. They simply were intent on eating the mayflies. Maybe I should carry some spent wings and an adjust-a-bubble for nights like this.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

BrianK has been razzing me for two years now about catching catfish ona fly rod. It sounds like last night was the night! It would have been fun.

Rootski

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When I was younger we kept some small channels from under the 694 bridge to eat. I don’t kill and clean fish much, but when I do I am always excited to check out the stomach contents and these guys were fat. Much to our suprise, their bellies were full of……cotton seeds from the cotton wood trees. They were literally bursting and I bet I could have knit myself a fine sweater out or their stomach contents.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.