Montana Elk Permit Question

• webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Looking for some Montana info if anyone can help. The area I am applying for requires a Bull Elk permit to hunt Bulls.

We are are applying for the general Elk Combo License as a group.

The question is: Should we be applying for the Bull permit as a group also or do we stand a better chance applying as individuals? We would be happier seeing just a few of the group get bull tags rather than an all or nothing so I was wondering if the odds are better, worse or indifferent as a group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

big_g
    Isle, MN

We apply individually for bull tags. You get 1st choice, 2nd choice and so on. Some years we all get them and some years a couple get them and yet again, somtimes none. We do individual, as some guys have 10-20 points and I have 3 …

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

I’m going to assume you and your buddies have the same number of preference points. If that’s the case the odds of drawing as a group or individually is the same. If you don’t mind some drawing a bull permit and some not then it would be better to apply individually as your odds are not any worse. I live in Montana and have a fairly good idea of how the regs work so let me know if you have any other questions. I’d be happy to help you out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.