Minn Kota Terrova Remote Died

• Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Was up in SD fishing last weekend and had my remote (MK #1866450) crap out on me…dead, nada, nothing after charging it overnight. I called MK and they offer no repair or replacement for that model since it has been discontinued so am wondering what others have done that have been down this road before me? Were you able to get it repaired somewhere else? Did you buy a replacement remote, and where did you find it if so? The remote is my only easy way to spot lock as the Terrova is a 2014 model and the foot control for that vintage doesn’t have the spot lock feature…think I can use the NAV menu on my Helix units to engage it but would prefer the simplicity of a remote, TIA!

Ripjiggen

Buy a new one. Normally most good sporting goods stores have them. Have not looked this year so not sure if supply chain on those are terrible to.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

seen a few on marketplace already this year. or buy new

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

nothing after charging it overnight.

Just taking a stab at this one. I have the newer BT Terrova. The remote takes 3 AAA batteries. Pretty sure the 2014 models also used the same.

Are you recharging AAA batteries? IF yes, I’d try a new set of Duracells and see if it fires up. Only so many time those AAA batts recharge.

-J.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Try disconnecting the battery from the controller for an hour or two then reinstalling it. I had a similar thing happen when the power button got bumped and it stayed dead for a while.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was up in SD fishing last weekend and had my remote (MK #1866450) crap out on me…dead, nada, nothing after charging it overnight. I called MK and they offer no repair or replacement for that model since it has been discontinued so am wondering what others have done that have been down this road before me? Were you able to get it repaired somewhere else? Did you buy a replacement remote, and where did you find it if so? The remote is my only easy way to spot lock as the Terrova is a 2014 model and the foot control for that vintage doesn’t have the spot lock feature…think I can use the NAV menu on my Helix units to engage it but would prefer the simplicity of a remote, TIA!

What type of batteries does it have? I had the old model with a lithium style battery. You could replace them. I had issues with the connection….thought the controller or battery was bad. Ended up that the male to female connections would work loose.

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

The battery is a rechargeable pak, not AAA. I did find a couple of remotes for that model # online for $300-400, yikes! We get spoiled easily but at that price I’ll live without a remote if I can’t get it going…thought I was king of the hill when I bought my first auto-pilot back in the 90’s anyway! Thanks to all for the input.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If it’s the rechargeable pack give it a good charge and then use some di-electric grease and tape the connector together. If that doesn’t work you can try and find a new battery (I used to always carry a spare just in case). If that doesn’t work I’d agree you should use the graph.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

if its a rechargeable lithium pack, go on eBay. i bought one for my 2 way radio for $10, just do some reading on the fine print. my I pilot has 3 AAA batteries, some older have the button types too. maybe its as easy as new power source?
    I would be lost without my remote. may as well sell the boat!
    pretty sure the ones on marketplace were in the $100 range when they pop up

Umy
    South Metro

I have the 2015 model has the rechargeable lithium pack – bout the size of a federal duck stamp. Have a spare I carry with me fully charged. It has the little connectors on it like in the picture. Paid $22 bucks from Fishlectronivs 2 years ago. THey are listed online at a number of places for $15 and in stock at Northland Marine.
    I would try this first. My remote does not like it when battery gets to about 1/3 or 1/4 power.
    IMO

Attachments:
    1. Minnkota-Battery.png

Umy
    South Metro

I have the 2015 model has the rechargeable lithium pack – bout the size of a federal duck stamp. Have a spare I carry with me fully charged. It has the little connectors on it like in the picture. Paid $22 bucks from Fishlectronivs 2 years ago. THey are listed online at a number of places for $15 and in stock at Northland Marine.
    I would try this first. My remote does not like it when battery gets to about 1/3 or 1/4 power.
    IMO

I also tried getting the foot pedal with the Spot Lock but found the same thing you did. Too old a unit. Would be really curious to know if anyone knows where to find either a OEM replacement or an aftermarket on that works.

Todd Schultz

I bet you could have the battery tested at batteries plus. At least then you would know it’s the remote for sure.

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Umy, thank you sir! I took your suggestion and ordered a new battery pack from Northland Marine and it arrived in the mail today. Swapped out the old one and that did the trick, my remote is alive again. Will order a backup next for a spare. Thanks again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.