Milwaukee 7/18

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Was able to get out Friday night for a few hours around sundown by myself and had good and bad luck. Trip started off on a bad note, as I went to power out, I quickly realized something was wrong with my motor and could not get up on plane. Seemed to have about half of normal power. (Shes in the shop today, but thats another story). SO since water was cold just outside the gap, I figured I’d fish anyways but just stay in close and cruise around on the kicker. Luck started to turn around when the third line I set took off before I could get it all the way out. (Small king on a 3 color). Continued doing donuts in between the south gap and the green can for about 2.5 hours until dark. Ended up 5/7 with three small kings and two decent lakers. Not fantastic fishing, but not terrible either. Especially for just sticking in close and running three lines.

Anyways, this sets up pretty well for any walleye guys looking to come down soon. Fish are both in close and up high when you get out deeper, so no real need for long cores\ coppers, deep riggers, and\ or dipsys at this time. All those things will catch fish, but you can do pretty well right now just running short cores and shallow dipsys and riggers. Probably even flatlined spoons and cranks for some of the beautiful steelies that are around in slightly deeper waters. (Had some nice encounters with those out of Joel Ballweg’s boat on Saturday, but I’ll leave that report to him.)

Long and short of it, is that fishing is still a little tough right now with all the cold water still around, but there are definitely fish to be caught and some decent numbers of them in closer to shore than normal for this time of year, so thats a good thing. Im hoping to get back out another time or two this week if I can get my boat fixed quickly….. So, I’ll chime back in here if I do.

Attachments:
    1. photo-4-5.jpg

2. photo-2-6.jpg

3. photo-3-6.jpg

4. photo-5-1.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Lake Trout, the other white meat.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Lol. Yeah, I guess you could call it that John. I throw em all back, but talk to Joel about greasers and what he thinks of them smoked… Not the only guy I’ve had tell me they prefer them over smoked salmon.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Lol. Yeah, I guess you could call it that John. I throw em all back, but talk to Joel about greasers and what he thinks of them smoked… Not the only guy I’ve had tell me they prefer them over smoked salmon.

I love good smoked salmon so not sure I would go quite that far. But after smoking up a big Lake Trout last year and then watch as friends and family devoured the entire batch, it seems silly to release them all in hopes of filling a box full with salmon. Especially this year when a box full of fish is hard to come by.

As for my report, unfortunately that’s going to have to wait until Tuesday. By the time I got home yesterday, cleaned the rig, stowed tackle, cleaned & processed fish, took a shower and so on……dead tired doesn’t quite describe how I felt. Still recovering this morning.
    We have family is town and we’re entertaining them tonight. The menu does have grilled steelhead, coho and king salmon on it so it should be fun but it is going to prevent me from doing a report for another day. Sorry!

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Lake Trout, the other white meat.

Or orange meat as the ones I have cleaned this year have been. It seems those with the bright orange meat are the really oily ones.

IO don’t mind Lakers smoked or grilled skin down right on the grate-the oil runs right off and they turn out to be decent table fare.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.