Mille Lacs WMA

• Mike J
    Wright County

I’m curious if anyone hunts the WMA? I’ve been bowhunting it for probably 10 years. I’m wondering what you are seeing for deer numbers and hunting pressure. Always fun to compare notes/spots. Thanks. PM if you want.

dbright
    Cambridge

I spent some time scouting it last fall and some this spring. I plan on spending a few weekends hunting it this year.

basseyes

Have been grouse and woodcock hunting it for almost 30 years. Have hunted most of it and the thing that never ceases to amaze me is the amount of area past about a half to 3/4 of a mile in that receives little pressure. We rarely see evidence of boot tracks or human activity past a mile from a road or parking spot. Seems to me though, those areas deeper in aren’t always full of deer sign. We’ve muzzle loader hunted it once and my brother had a decent 8 pointer come in but it didn’t present a shot opportunity. That was tops 1/2 mile from a parking lot in December. Have found odd ball pockets of great deer sign and it usually has a few things in common, water, alders, high swamp grass and is on the back side away from a trail on a clear cut. Hard to get into and hard to hunt with certain winds.

Mike J
    Wright County

Good info. Yeah, I usually try to get away from the lots a bit. Very cool areas deep in there. I’ve had success hunting near thick bogs in the past.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.