Whitefish

• Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

I’m fairly new to the site so I don’t know too many people on here but I wonder if anyone could share some information with me about whitefish fishing through the ice. I’ve heard that people fish for them on Green Bay but where and how is what I need help with. I have caught some in Canada while trolling a jig and a minnow for lake trout. They’re very good smoked and I’d love to be able to go out and catch a few.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Here on lake superior, canned corn works good for them. You can sorta “chum” them in with the canned corn and when you see them come in drop your bait right to the bottom and most of the time they will hit.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks Grant, I hope to get some more responses from guys that know Green Bay.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well Jerry I”m not from Green Bay but over the years have fished it a few times….no expert by any means,I have not even fished Whitefish…..YET
    But I have been doing a little research and what I’m gonna try is a flash type lure,Swedish pimples,Kastmasters,ect..tipped with a few waxies or other grubs and work the bottom 2 ft….I also read that a “teaser” can be set about 1ft or so above the main lure can help with a little added flash…I plan on using a CJ@S Slip Dropper.
    As far as where to go “this one of my sources”.
    Dyckesville,Little Sturgeon Bay,Sturgeon bay on the est side of the Bay or Oconto on the west….
    Just have explore I guess…I’ll let you know when I go how it goes.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks very much Mudshark. You’ve given me some good direction. Did you see my response to your request for someone to smoke your whitefish? I’ll be glad to do it for you if you get some.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Jerry….Check your PM

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

A friend of mine went up to Sturgeon Bay yesterday and ice fished with a guide. They got about 30 2 to 3 lb. white fish. Sounded like a lot of fun.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Any idea what guide service they used. Does sound like fun.
    Steve

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Hey Jerry,,,,Check your PM”s again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.