Merino wool prices!!

• walleyevision

I love merino wool and have a few tops and long underwear, but the stuff is insanely priced right now. I was in REI yesterday and their merino wool long johns were $110. I saw a short sleeved t-shirt for $89! It’s just crazy what they price this stuff at.

I’d love to get more wool gear, but I can’t justify it at these prices. Does anyone have any sources that aren’t ridiculously priced?

Erik Swenson

Look for sales off season times with online retailers. REI Included.

Love wool too and hate paying fully marked up. I wait until I see like 50-65% off.

Military Surplus?

Also, look into local wool producers. I haven’t yet, but would like to try Alpaca wool too. Have seen a website for one near River Falls?

Hopefully inflation won’t hit wool too hard… lol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My go-to is Minus33. Check them out. Most of their stuff is cheaper than you list. Everyone should have a set of their mid-weight. $75 top or bottom.
    Also everyone should have a set of their expedition weight. I cant say enough about that product. $115 When deer hunting or cold snowmobiling, that heavier dense but exceptionally soft merino wool is the real deal. This has been my number one base layer product for many years now.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

Whatever you do don’t buy Sitka’s so called Heavyweight Merino wool baselayer. That stuff won’t keep ya warm in the summer. Yeah I’m a sucker, but hell whats 300 dollars.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Whatever you do don’t buy Sitka’s so called Heavyweight Merino wool baselayer. That stuff won’t keep ya warm in the summer. Yeah I’m a sucker, but hell whats 300 dollars.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Couldn’t agree more on this. Sitka’s latest stuff is quickly becoming fancily badged junk. I was a bit ahead of the “cool” wave with Sitka, and now have moved on. I almost (not really) feel bad about the camo I sold to a buddy as I have too many irons in the fire to hunt for the foreseeable future.

tim hurley

REI is usually crazy. Like my Minus33 half finger gloves, price was good too.

tim hurley

OH, BTw, check out alpaca stuff, softer and warmer than wool, might even be cheaper. Good Luck

munchy
    NULL

I agree, once you try Alpaca, Merino will feel like sandpaper. It’s rated as the softest, lightest, and warmest natural fiber for a reason.

Unfortunately around here it’s considered a boutique item and priced accordingly. However I have heard if you or someone you know ever travels to South America (Peru, Chile, Argentina) where it is prevalent the price can be significantly less (just stay away from the touristy places).

B-man

Check these guys out for thermal tops and bottoms.

Incredibly warm, affordable, and MADE IN MINNESOTA!

You will not be disappointed

https://goathleticapparel.com/

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Hard times for all,those sheep are’nt giving it up for free anymore.

walleyevision

Check these guys out for thermal tops and bottoms.

Incredibly warm, affordable, and MADE IN MINNESOTA!

You will not be disappointed

https://goathleticapparel.com/

Those prices are great! Only wool I see is a 3-pack of socks for only $10, which is an amazing deal. I’ll try some of their long johns though. They seem to be comparable to under armour cold gear which is pretty cool stuff, and for $25 you can’t go wrong.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My go-to is Minus33.

Based on @Suzuki’s recommendation, I ordered some socks and neck gaiters for our kids. They ship very quickly, and both kids wore their gaiters while skiing/snowboarding yesterday and loved them. So, I ordered a few more for the FW and myself. waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Do you know where they get Virgin wool from?

Ugly Sheep

walleyevision

I just got some of the goathletic long johns for myself and my son, and they are awesome. Just like the under armour cold gear 4.0, only $25 vs $65.

B-man

Glad you love them!

It’s by far the best money I’ve ever spent on thermal layering.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.