Medium vs medium heavy stick for ice walleyes

• Ben Poniatowski

Hey guys, I would like to hear what you all think about stiffness of walleye rods. Do you like medium stiffness or medium heavy?

Justin Gamerdinger

medium heavy is what I prefer. I would highly recommend jt custom rods new blackout rod 34″ or 38″. jtodp.com use promo code jgamerdinger and get yourself 5% off. recoil guides and custom engineered blank. best customer service I’ve ever had from a company before.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I always base the rod I am using on the lure I am using. I like to get as close to the max lure weight as I can for the best feel of the bait.

munchy
    NULL

I couldn’t imagine using a Medium Heavy rod for walleye. Most of mine are Medium Light. Maybe use a Medium when fishing deep with heavier lures.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Im not sure what a TUCR Commander is considered (guessing it is MH but could be a M) but it does work well. While there is a lot of backbone, it is still very sensitive

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Im not sure what a TUCR Commander is considered (guessing it is MH but could be a M) but it does work well. While there is a lot of backbone, it is still very sensitive

It would be medium. I just bought one this past Saturday (along with an LTP). John at TUCR described the Commander as medium action that is probably the ideal rod for walleye. Good backbone for solid hooksets and bigger fish but with a relatively sensitive tip to downsize to smaller spoons or jigs. Obviously haven’t used it yet but anxiously awaiting feeling that first thump! yay

Cameron white

MH up here on lake Winnipeg. Medium doesn’t have enough backbone on big fish.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I always base the rod I am using on the lure I am using.

x2

Rarely over 1/8 oz. Mostly I’m somewhere in a medium light. Go to is a TB Perch Sweetheart.

MH up here on lake Winnipeg. Medium doesn’t have enough backbone on big fish.

I need to get up there. That’s a problem only in my dreams toast

schoff
    S.E., SD

As stated above it all depends on the lure weight/fish size. I use mostly ML and M here in SD and used a MH on Winnipeg.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.