Marine batteries

• Brian Belcher

I have a 2005 Lund with a 175 hp evenrude. I want to make sure that the cranking battery is the right size. I noticed that one of my gps runs off this battery as well as the main power to the lights, ship to shore radio and a few others things. Anyone with experience please reply.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Biggest you can fit. Go with a deep cycle too. Most are rated for cranking as well.

CaptainMusky

It may also help you you run power straight from battery to your GPS unit instead of through the fuse block. Agreed, as big of a battery as you can get in your compartment is best otherwise.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

group 31 deep cycle AGM if it fits. my gp 31 agm has over 1100 MCA to start my optimax. direct wire all sonar/gps units to the battery with fuses. running them into a fuse box is easier for the install, but this creates more resistance when starting and can/will draw down the sonar/gps and it will shut off and you will have to reboot it every time you start the main motor. this mostly happens after a battery is a few years old and is starting to loose power.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

You might see if your motor has a minimum requirement for CCA or MCA. My Optimax requires a min 800 CCA or 1000 MCA so it needs a hefty battery. I use an Optima 27M and run 3 sonar units, structurescan, NMEA with Point-1, and occasionally livewell and I’m usually out all day when I’m out. A 31M would be better but that’s too tight a fit in my compartment.

One

Anyone try Duracell yet?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Anyone try Duracell yet?

Duracell marine batteries are re-labeled East Penn batteries so ought to perform just like any other re-labeled easy Penn battery.

I was going to go with Duracell but a well timed sale and mail in rebate pushed me to farm and fleet (also a re-labeled East penn).

dld24

Anybody known if Duralast batteries are made by Interstate? I went to autozone today and picked up a 29 deep cycle and the guy that worked there said they are.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Anybody known if Duralast batteries are made by Interstate? I went to autozone today and picked up a 29 deep cycle and the guy that worked there said they are.

He is right in a round about way. In that durolast and interstate are both made by Johnson controls, so they are the same battery, just not ‘made’ by interstate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.