Marcum product and service disappointment

• mojo

I want to save some others the hassle and frustration that I am going through.
    Girlfriend bought me a Pursuit HD camera for Christmas. It was the latest and most expensive portable camera available with HD display and HD camera, so we had high expectations. I opened the box and powered it on and immediately got the “no signal” message which means the camera or cable are broken and neither of those parts are user replaceable. Sent an email immediately to MarCum customer service and got a reply that I would be contacted by a representative within 24 hours. Next day, 30 minutes before close of business hours I call since I did not get a reply – no answer, so leave a voicemail. Next day I call in the morning and then send an additional email. Same thing next day, and I actually called two different numbers and left voicemails as well as the email. After 7 days, I finally got a reply to one of the emails, and by now I was very frustrated. They had me send the unit to them, 30 miles away – but not open for customer contact due to pandemic. They determined that my unit was faulty and would send me a brand new unit. It took 11 days to get a new unit to me 30 miles away.
    New unit powers on and I get a picture – hallelujah. First trip out I noticed that the depth didn’t register, just stays at 0.1 no matter how deep I send the camera. Also, the compass that tells which direction the camera is pointing is not accurate. And it’s nearly impossible to read the screen in any daylight – even when I use my entire body and both hands to keep the unit shaded. I used the calibration function which seems to get the compass working, but very hard to see the readout and the depth still only reads 0.1 no matter how deep or how long I put the camera down. I move to a new spot for the evening bite and the compass is way off again even though the unit has been powered on the entire time. Calibrate it again, same result, no depth, but compass is on. Virtually impossible to see what the camera shows until after sunset. Any daylight at all makes the screen very difficult to see. The camera works, because once I get home, I can replay videos that I recorded with it and they are very clear. Apparently MarCum cut the display backlighting way down to conserve battery life, and there is no way to adjust it.
    The Pursuit HD is a pocket portable underwater camera, designed to be used for hole-hopping but they made the display so poorly that it can’t be seen by the user in any kind of daylight – even overcast days it’s barely viewable. Why would a portable camera system only be viewable inside of a shelter or at night when the camera can no longer see effectively? I’ve used the unit on 5 separate days of fishing, and the compass feature has to be re-calibrated multiple times each trip, the depth readout shows 0.1 most of the time, and was only accurate a few times (each calibration is supposed to fix this issue as well) and on top of all that it’s a portable camera that can’t be used for hole hopping since the display is too dim to see in any kind of daylight. And sadly, my brother in law’s Chinese made unit from Amazon for nearly 1/3 the price of the MarCum is very easily viewable when set side by side with the Pursuit HD. That’s shameful.
    MarCum’s solution was to have me send this unit back to them again, though the brightness can’t be adjusted. Of course, now that so much time was wasted by MarCum while I waited for a unit that would just power on, that I am beyond the return window to just send it back for a refund. How I wish I could just return it and never deal with MarCum again.
    The service at MarCum makes their products a risky purchase. And the MarCum quality control virtually guarantees you will need their service. I tried to give them every opportunity to make this right, I made a post here even.
    Sorry for the long rant, but this is one of the worst purchases ever. Do yourself a favor and stay clear.

big_g
    Isle, MN

What did you base your purchase off of ? Any item like that, I want a demo or at the least, see a friends working first… were there good reviews of it ?

JoeMX1825
    MN

That’s a crazy bad experience and unfortunately not uncommon with them. I’ve been holding off purchasing a Pursuit and will pass now…

I cross my fingers eveytime I power up my LX-6s, sofar its been working great…

mojo

Unfortunately, I based my purchase on the Pursuit specs listed on paper. It just came out fall of 2020, so nobody had one to check out on ice in person. I was way wrong to assume that buying the most expensive unit in it’s class would get me good quality. And I definitely should have done more research on the customer service reputation of MarCum. I didn’t think getting service from a company on the other side of town would be a challenge. Live and learn. I won’t let them fool me again.

Coletrain27

Why didn’t you just take it back to the store right away and get your money back and buy another brand?

Mike m

My how times have changed , wasn’t to long ago marcum was all the rage On this site . Now it seems most reviews are negative

mojo

I didn’t just return it because I expected Marcum to stand behind their product and take care of customers who purchase their highest-tier products. I certainly didn’t think it would take them 7 days to even reply to my request for service, or 11 more days to get me a new unit when they knew that mine was dead on arrival. Then I didn’t know how poorly the product worked until I received the replacement unit and tried it on the ice. The 30-day return window starts the day the item is ordered, not when it’s received, and with the holidays it took a week just to get the original unit. So by the time I discovered how bad the Pursuit really was in person, the 30 days had passed.
    The entire process has been extremely frustrating. The hardest part though, was seeing my girlfriend tear up when I told her how poor the product and service were. We never spend anywhere near this kind of money on gifts for one another, but she had seen me researching this camera online, and wanted to get me a special Christmas gift. It was difficult to see her so heartbroken.

JoeMX1825
    MN

1st year products have been a nightmare for Marcum the past 5 years (pancam, rt-9, mx-7). It seems like major issues that should have easily been caught with testing were instead ignored and the product was shipped to retailers.

Fool me once…

Joel W Taylor

Be glad they got back to you that quickly. That’s record time for them. There’s no way they can get away with saying they won’t accept returns because of the time it took to get the initial defect corrected. Dispute the purchase through your credit card You will get much better service that way.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why didn’t you return it for a different one at the store and make the store send it back to them?

Gilgetter

I feel your pain. Been dealing with them on a flasher I purchased in Nov. I had an M1 a few years back and had really good luck with it. However that was the extent of my knowledge regarding Marcum. I purchased a higher end unit with variable zoom this time. It was for a Christmas gift. I didn’t use it until after Christmas so same as you the return period had closed by the time I got to use it. The unit will not pick up a small ice jig even in shallow water unless the gain was turned up to the point of causing major noise. After many attempts to remedy the matter I finally was sent a replacement transducer. The transducer did not solve the issue. I ended up getting in contact with them again, I have since had to ship the unit back to them. At first I was told I had to ship the item to them at my expense which was even more annoying. In the end, I was sent a pre-paid label. I was told their service will examine the issue and get back to me in 10-12 business days. So in short I likely won’t get to use the investment I made this ice season. I asked for a refund and was denied. I have a backup but I have been trying to add a flasher every year so my wife and kids have one when they come out. Bottom line to the “why didn’t you just” crowd…. any company can have a bad product slip through here and there, it’s how they handle it that matters. They should be standing behind their products not giving customers the run around. I bought my unit direct from Marcum so I didnt have the option to return it to a retail outlet. Their customer service is unacceptable. It’s not like brand new units are being subjected to abuse. They arent working directly out of the box and Marcum doesn’t seem to care. I’ll never buy another product from them. Hope their business model pays off for them.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

That’s really too bad that Marcum has become such a mess. Bummer you had to deal with all that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve tucked my tail and ran from Marcum. I had an issue with an older LX3 in college that was nearly impossible to get help with when it was brand new. I now wouldn’t touch a Marcum product if my life depended on it after seeing the whole RT-9 situation. I’ll gladly pay top dollar for electronics related to hobbies and recreation in the 21st century. However, I’m also paying for the corresponding service, warranty, and support.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Mojo sorry to hear that happened to you and others it appears. I have never owned a marcum product, but have been looking hard at there cameras so I’m glad I have read about there customer service lately and will not make the mistake of trying one of there products out.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Wonder why the customer service has dropped so bad didnt they use to have great customer service? Did Marcum get bought out by an investment group?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Horrible service for me too. Never again! If you remember back a few years Marcum was going to run Vexilar out of business. (Now it’s Humminbird)

Steve Grim

I don’t like posting negative stuff, but my Marcum Recon 5+ has been one of the worst purchases I have ever made. After using about 8x it now shows the blank blue screen whenever the unit seems to be below 60 degrees F. When warm enough it still requires me to reboot it 2 – 10 times to have the camera work. The depth readings on it have never worked right either. It is sad–I have a camera that looks brand new and has hardly been used- but doesn’t work. Dealing with this makes me appreciate how well made my Vexilar and Otter products are!

Gitchi Gummi

I’d be curious what James and the IDO gang say about the drop in marcum product quality and customer service. It seems they use birds now but I know James used to always be all about the marcums. You’d think James would have a few contacts back at marcum to leverage to find out what the deal is.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

It’s all about the power of promotion. Marcum doesn’t have IDO, Lindner, or any big TV names pushing them anymore. Anybody remember Trojan batteries? You HAD to have Trojans or you didn’t know squat. Promotion sells products, and to a certain extent, reputation.

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Maybe I’m just lucky but I have had pretty good customer service from Marcum. They just replaced an 11+ month old wireless camera panner for me with a new one two weeks ago and I didn’t even have to show a receipt. I think the ticket was having my product registered, which I have done with all of my electronics and gear whether they are Marcum or not.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I think normally in previous years it was pretty good. This year I have to think it is partially due to Covid. I know they are trying in customer service there.

These shutdowns and regulations have been really tough on businesses.

I run a Pursuit and have been very happy with it. I really like it for portability.

marcolson13
    NULL

They are definitely being slowed due to covid, I emailed about a LX3 TCI which stopped working correctly. Took 3 emails and 7-8 days to get a response.. which basically was you will need to fill out a repair form and send it in.. I did send it in and it was fixed literally about 1 hour after I got off the phone with a guy. They had some policy where even if local, you would have to ship in the product and they would have to ship it back, no local pickups due to covid. Not sure what changed but I was all of a sudden able to swing by and pick it up on my way up north last weekend.

I will say, I also have a LX6 Lithium Shuttle and LX7 Lithium Shuttle and have had not problems with them at all but probably do not fish as much as most people on this site.

I do find it some what interesting there is no one on this site from Marcum being they were such a big Sponsor of IDO before they jumped to HB. I see John from TUCR, Some guys from Clam etc.. on here interacting, answering questions about product etc..

Ryan Schwartz

I’ve had my Pursuit out a couple times and haven’t any problems with it. Very nice video quality. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. Other than the lid magnets coming off, not much to complain about with this unit.

Adam Steffes

I have an LX7 shuttle that has been good, though I am extremely careful with it and it probably has less than a hundred hours on it in the last 3 or 4 years.

mojo

I’ve had my Pursuit out a couple times and haven’t any problems with it. Very nice video quality. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. Other than the lid magnets coming off, not much to complain about with this unit.

Could you post some cell phone pics or videos of your Pursuit display screen being used outdoors in daylight? I’m curious to see if they are all as bad as mine. Mine is so bad that it’s essentially useless outdoors in daylight. I could live with a non-working depth readout or even compass (though the compass is critical to knowing which direction the camera is facing) if I could only see the display.

Coletrain27

when was the purchase date of this? dont you normally have 90 days to take things back to stores? take the thing back to the store and let them deal with it.

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Schwartz wrote:</div>

Could you post some cell phone pics or videos of your Pursuit display screen being used outdoors in daylight? I’m curious to see if they are all as bad as mine. Mine is so bad that it’s essentially useless outdoors in daylight. I could live with a non-working depth readout or even compass (though the compass is critical to knowing which direction the camera is facing) if I could only see the display.

Good luck with that,the screen glare/reflection in the open is horrible.I have been happy with Marcum in the past,but the recent products are stinkers.

Transition from LX5 to M5 was good,my M5 survived a major spill off a wheeler with no issues.Pursuit camera would probably be in pieces all over the ice.Seems the future of Marcum is falling by the wayside?

Gilgetter

I think normally in previous years it was pretty good. This year I have to think it is partially due to Covid. I know they are trying in customer service there.

These shutdowns and regulations have been really tough on businesses.

I run a Pursuit and have been very happy with it. I really like it for portability.

I don’t want to sound like the world’s biggest jerk but I think the COVID excuse has been milked for all it’s worth.

I think generally speaking companies build their reputation on their customer service.

It seems they get larger and larger and then the tipping point hits and they go corporate like Cabela’s or their customer service starts to slip because they just don’t care anymore. Either way cue the Blockbuster style drain circle.

I try to support local business and praise them when they do good. That being said when they don’t meet expectations they need to be held accountable. I will never feel sorry for a company that forgets how they got where they are and the bad press sinks their ship.

I have seen it many times over the years with construction. Times are gangbusters and guys don’t return calls and won’t be bothered to give people a bid.

The market flips and they are out of work. People remember who treated them fairly and who didn’t.

fishking22

For what it’s worth I dropped off my Lx5i in person to get repaired and they fixed it for free. Had it back in a weeks time.

mojo

COVID has no bearing on the design of a new product. This started before COVID was ever heard of. MarCum has chosen to manufacture lower quality products and is pricing them as though they were of the highest quality. This will maximize their profits for a short time until the consumers get burned a few times then turn away – which is exactly what we’re experiencing now. Too bad for all the employees, I’m sure they had no say in how the company should be run, but it will affect them regardless. My Dad has a saying: “You can shear a sheep repeatedly, but you can only skin it once”.
    This is exactly what causes America to decay. Management maximizes profits, until they’ve taken it for all it’s worth, then when customers choose a Chinese made product because it’s 1/3 the price and is just as likely to function, those same managers push employees around in an attempt at staying profitable. The employees become frustrated, and their work suffers, and soon most Americans are buying the Chinese version. Meanwhile management is taking the company for all they can while blaming the employees for the product quality. This is evident in a lack of customer service. If management truly wanted to succeed, they would have the goal of truly satisfying every customer that pays for their high priced product, and would insist on real customer service. When customer service becomes a burden, they’ve signaled that it’s only about the money. Not creating a better product, not creating more loyal customers, and certainly not about keeping existing customers.
    That’s exactly where MarCum is at.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.