Marcum LX-5

• Brady Kovarik

Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on the LX-5. Really interested in getting one but haven’t had a Marcum product before. I have an FL-8 right now but not having zoom is getting old so I’m looking at an upgrade that I’ll still be happy with in 5-10 years. Going to LOTW for 3 days in early February and fish Devils Lake a lot so I’m looking to get this figured out soon. I would like an flx-28 or lx-7 but I think I’d rather save 150-200 dollars and go with an LX-5 if they’re well liked. Most people around me have Vex’s and so do my friends so I’ve never seen a Marcum in action much but just from research I’m beginning to feel I’d like their product more than a Vex if I give it a try.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Vex put out a bullet proof product almost. I will not bash them but I owned a FL 18 switched to LX 5 and now own a LX7. Have seen the FLX 28 in action and would take the LX5 over it any day of the week. I think they most the mark with that unit. You will really appreciate the fine line on the LX 5. I understand the investment thing but for fishing fish that are normally tight to the bottom the scrolling graph on the LX 7 is just awesome for detecting when they slip in.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I have two LX-5’s. I think you will like the added power, greater separation ability for the return signals, and the adjustable zoom. I only problem I have had with one unit was a bad battery. I don’t ice fish a ton, but they do get summer use in our smaller tin boat as well.

FDR

red89
    Hudson

LX-5 is a great unit. I got mine for $299 when reeds had a sale back in 2009. I can’t believe they still sell for $500 though, with all the new versions that have come out. I will never get a different flasher unless this one completely stops working.
    I haven’t used many of the newer vexilar products, but in my experience the Marcum is much quieter and the display is less blurry.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I bought an LX-5 a couple of seasons ago and have had no complaints. If I ever move off of the LX-5 it will be to a digital flasher.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Vex put out a bullet proof product almost. I will not bash them but I owned a FL 18 switched to LX 5 and now own a LX7. Have seen the FLX 28 in action and would take the LX5 over it any day of the week. I think they most the mark with that unit. You will really appreciate the fine line on the LX 5. I understand the investment thing but for fishing fish that are normally tight to the bottom the scrolling graph on the LX 7 is just awesome for detecting when they slip in.

This is really true! The LX-7/9 in scrolling graph mode are simply awesome when fishing the bottom huggers. This alone is worth the extra cash IMO.
    That said, I also own a LX-3 and it also works great for Perch and Walleye, or anything that comes off the bottom, just not as much fun to use.

hamms
    Mn

Lx5 is the best mechanical flasher out there. It is all you will ever need. Awesome zoom , get ready to target individual fish in a school not just a huge blob of fish.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

If you do get the LX5, get the one with the dial that goes to 11. WAY better than all the others.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

haha JD youre a funny man. i have owned an LX-5 for 3 years now and i love it! the target seperation is great. My buddy owns an LX-3 and it looks like blurry blobs on the screen compared to mine. Same with the FL-8. Personally i prefer the LX-5 to the digital LX-6,7,9’s for a few reasons: money, easier to use, and reliability – i know some people that have had problems with the new technology and i didnt want to be a test dummy for that price. Having said that, the LX-7 has some cool features that i wouldnt mind having such as 6 color spectrum. Anything you get over an FL-8 will be an improvement but i would highly recommend a marcum, they make a good product

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

LX5 is an awesome unit, you will not be disappointed in the least.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I picked up a used LX-5 a few years ago and have been absolutely thrilled with it! I had the Gander version of the VX-1 from several years ago and an FL-8 but could not believe the difference and improvement in target separation from the LX5. We ended up selling the FL-8 since between my son and I this was our least favorite and looked “blurry” compared to the others. My son is still using the VX-1 too.

Good luck,
    Dave

competitor
    South central, mn

I have used my LX-5 for 7 years now. It has been great. It has everything you need. Moveable Zoom, fine line, dual beam. Joel Nelson said in a post a day or two ago he still loves using his LX-5. I would buy another one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.