Manhunt in Maine

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Sad and sickening what happened in Maine. Sure seems like he put planning into the escape. They found his car near a boat landing but no trace of the guy so far. Hopefully for law enforcement sake it doesn’t end in a shootout.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have seen far too much focus on disarming people as a result of this.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

There are evil people in this world. No law will change that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

2 entire counties are on lock down. Full shelter in place. Over 350 officers on the hunt for him.

I understand this guy is obviously a wanted individual but locking down two entire counties? I mean people still need to get to work, buy food, gas, and attend to their daily lives, etc.

Kinda surprised that a K9 hasn’t tracked down the scent yet.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hopefully for law enforcement sake it doesn’t end in a shootout.

Saw that too, and they interviewed a guy that served with him and he said he knows his stuff very well for someone who has not seen combat, he thought they needed to bring in the Military to take him down.

Suzuki they always make it about disarming us, cause that would help. Sounds like the guy was hearing voices, hmm maybe someone should have stepped in and disarmed him or got him some help. It’s not about the goll dang guns you idiots.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I understand this guy is obviously a wanted individual but locking down two entire counties? I mean people still need to get to work, buy food, gas, and attend to their daily lives, etc.

Gim it sounds like he is heavily armed and has fully automatic weapons or at least one. I would not want to be told to stay in my house but this might be for the best.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gim it sounds like he is heavily armed and has fully automatic weapons or at least one. I would not want to be told to stay in my house but this might be for the best.

I understand its purely for safety reasons and that makes sense. But at the same time people need to continue with their life as well. I mean what happens if this continues for a week? Two weeks? You can’t just declare two entire counties on a lockdown without an end in sight.

Not everyone has a basement or bunker full of food, ammo, and toilet paper. jester

JEREMY
    BP

It’s not about the goll dang guns you idiots.

At some point it is. I love hunting and my guns as much as the next guy. Maybe there needs to be some regulation. If the guys walking around with his dads REM 870 sure people would still get killed but not they way they can pile them up now. If all you AR lovers can have your damn guns that blow people to bits and shoot a zillion rounds a minute why cant I have a flame thrower and a rocket launcher and claim they are for hunting.

tswoboda

I understand its purely for safety reasons and that makes sense. But at the same time people need to continue with their life as well. I mean what happens if this continues for a week? Two weeks? You can’t just declare two entire counties on a lockdown without an end in sight.

2 weeks to flatten the curve. We can do this

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

2 weeks to flatten the curve. We can do this

Lol you know that mildly entered my thought process when I made my previous post. Its kind of like the peak of the pandemic. Although that wasn’t a full on lockdown like this. You could still go about your life pretty normal amongst the infected. Its my understanding that in this case you can’t even leave your house. What if you need to let the dog out?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

News said they found a suicide note from him. My guess is he is dead somewhere already. I don’t understand why he would need to kill those innocent people if he was just intending to kill himself anyways. What a loser.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I read that they found his car at a marina dock nearby. Maybe he got out of there on a boat.

lindyrig79

Lots of questions still. One of the local sheriffs they interviewed said there were rapids and a dam both upstream and downstream of the boat landing and weren’t passable by boat.

You’d think a boat would be fairly easy to locate too.

Brittman

I am not a fan of the NRA, but at the same time understand their principal point of not giving an inch.

If you start to ban the AR15, then what is next handguns, semi-auto rifles and shotguns … the domino theory is real and not just with guns.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am not a fan of the NRA, but at the same time understand their principal point of not giving an inch.

If you start to ban the AR15, then what is next handguns, semi-auto rifles and shotguns … the domino theory is real and not just with guns.

The people of Israel found out the hard way. It could happen here. Especially if people were disarmed. There are more threats than ever.
    Anyways I cant imagine the size of the lockdown area either. I cant even picture that here.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. After the AR is gone and the shootings continue its going to be that much easier to grab the next guns.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

News said they found a suicide note from him. My guess is he is dead somewhere already. I don’t understand why he would need to kill those innocent people if he was just intending to kill himself anyways. What a loser.

The eerie part of this is that sure a “suicide note” may mean the guy took his own life somewhere in the wilderness and will be found weeks, months, or even years later.

The “suicide note” could just as likely be part of a plan that in no way means he took his own life and will remain at large.

The counties completely locked down (~700 square miles) are going to have to come up with some sort of plan. There’s a chance this lasts for days, or even weeks. What a crap situation for thousands of innocent people living in fear.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If all you AR lovers can have your damn guns that blow people to bits and shoot a zillion rounds a minute why cant I have a flame thrower and a rocket launcher and claim they are for hunting.

For the record I actually don’t own an AR. Also flame throwers are legal there called brush clearers, not sure I can help you with the rocket launcher though. Also for the record I don’t have a problem with some restrictions, except for the worries about them gaining traction. See above

CaptainMusky

The “suicide note” could just as likely be part of a plan that in no way means he took his own life and will remain at large.

That was my first thought when I saw this too. My guess is he had a second car stashed there and made it look like he left in a boat. I also heard there was an active shooter situation at a military base in NJ last night. IDK how far that is from Maine, but is it possible he got that far?

lindyrig79

The manhunt part is interesting to me. It’s crazy that the same satellite photos they are using in the press conferences I can pull up on a phone.

Sounds like they got the elite Border Patrol Unit (BORTAC) involved now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The manhunt part is interesting to me.

Ya that’s intriguing to me too. That escapee from prison a while ago, I believe they eventually spotted his body heat signal in the woods at night time with this aerial infrared technology.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    It’s not about the goll dang guns you idiots.

At some point it is. I love hunting and my guns as much as the next guy. Maybe there needs to be some regulation. If the guys walking around with his dads REM 870 sure people would still get killed but not they way they can pile them up now. If all you AR lovers can have your damn guns that blow people to bits and shoot a zillion rounds a minute why cant I have a flame thrower and a rocket launcher and claim they are for hunting.

Zillion rounds per minute? Little dramatic don’t you think?
    I don’t think most own AR rifles for hunting. Most own them to protect their homes and families from evil people and tyrannical governments. What good is grandpas 870 if the bad guy has an AR?
    All the laws in the world won’t stop criminals who don’t obey the law.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t think most own AR rifles for hunting.

Oh I think you’d be surprised on that one. They are very popular for hunting nowadays. Extremely popular in the south to hunt wild pigs. Lots of people own them for competition shooting too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What’s more laws going to do, when the existing ones that SHOULD HAVE been applied, weren’t? From what I understand this guy was pulled from his military training for a psychiatric evaluation this summer and was crying for help and had every warning sign under the sun. And still they did nothing, which seems to be a recurring theme with these wackjobs, on FBI/Military/Intelligence/Police radar but nothing is done until it’s too late.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Agree BW, there are signs, about time these signs start getting taken seriously before it too late as we continue to see in these situations.

CaptainMusky

Oh I think you’d be surprised on that one. They are very popular for hunting nowadays. Extremely popular in the south to hunt wild pigs. Lots of people own them for competition shooting too.

Yep, my buddy in texas that is pretty much all he owns that that is pretty much exclusively what he uses them for. Hogs, deer, you name it. Ive shot them a few times and they are sure fun to shoot. I forgot what caliber was the new one he got with the nightvision scope, but he had something done to it which made it stupid heavy, but there was ZERO recoil. Thats purely used for hogs. He just sent me a pic from outside his camper trail cam and there were a dozen hogs standing there. Of course he was at home LOL

CaptainMusky

Agree BW, there are signs, about time these signs start getting taken seriously before it too late as we continue to see in these situations.

Ive said this before and I will say it again, every time one of these things happen the FBI/Police, etc already know that the person is likely to do something and I am convinced they WANT them to! As sick as that sounds I believe it. Im not the only one who thinks this way either.

Riverrat

He was sentenced to commitment to a mental health facility. By the fed standards he was not eligible to buy a gun. The laws are in place, but are they enforced. If your not eligible to buy you probably shouldn’t be eligible to own. One of the Texas shooters had been found guilty of domestic assault he would fail a background check as well. When a red flag law doesn’t exist and a person claims to friends or relatives that they are thinking of committing a mass shooting it becomes their responsibility to disarm and prevent it from happening plain and simple.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I don’t really care to head down the rabbit hole of politics and laws when the blood is barely dry and the whereabouts of the suspect isn’t even known or an investigation concluded. I’ll save that for the IDO experts and politicians.

What does interest me is exactly what these areas have planned moving forward. As I previously stated, this could be resolved any minute. It could also last for weeks. How do public areas, businesses, schools, and so on plan to function in the immediate area? How do they plan to meticulously comb through a state that’s 90% forested area? How do you begin to sort through the likely thousands of tips from a paranoid, vigilant population that spans multiple counties?

I hope and pray that the families of the victims and those working to find this coward get the best possible outcomes possible from such a tragic situation.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It could also last for weeks. How do public areas, businesses, schools, and so on plan to function in the immediate area?

Exactly. You can’t lock down two whole counties for an undetermined amount of time. People still need to live their daily lives at some point here.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.