LX-7 Screen Freezing Up

• Zack Shack Guy

I recently purchased a new Marcum Lx-7 and let me tell you it is quite the upgrade from the LX-1 I was using. I used it early ice mainly for panfish and was pleased with it. The last time I used it in the metro area the screen all of a sudden froze up on me and I could only power it off by disconnecting the battery. When I plugged it back in it seemed to work fine, so I didn’t think much of it (my mistake). The main reason I bought the LX-7 is because I loved the display on it and know that it easier to look at all day, which I do when I go to Lake of the Woods. I recently went up to LOW and the first day of fishing it worked fine until around 3:00 PM when all of a sudden it froze up again. Needless to say I was not happy but I just replugged it and kept on fishing. However, it happened 2 more times that day. The next day was even worse so that at 1 PM after it freezing up every 30 minutes or so (especially when fish would show up) I just switched back to my LX-1. For some reason I thought maybe it would be better the 3rd day, but it seemed to freeze up every 10 minutes or so, at which time I took out the LX-1 again.
    I have a call into Marcum (Thursday afternoon) but still no call back. Has anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations? I am heading up to LOW again on Feb 1 for 6 days of fishing and really want to use the LX-7 up there as I love the display on it, but I need to have confidence in it to work.
    I live in the twin cities, so I may just head to Marcum on Monday and see if they can help me in person.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

You answered your own question.

Taking it directly to Marcum is going to get you the fastest/best results. Any of the Marcum threads I have seen that started with an issue and had the unit sent in usually end with a pretty happy customer.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

If you live close I would take it right to them and I bet they will have you all fixed up the same day..

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

does it have the latest firmware on it, might need updating??

Max

Bought mine at the last St. Paul ice show and had same problem including glitching display. Brought it to them and got it in back three days. No problem since. Latest firm ware on it too. Marcum said there was a bad resistor on mine. They’ll take care of it for you so just take the time to bring it in

Zack Shack Guy

Thanks for the replies. I will be bringing it in on Monday and will hope to base it back before my trip on Sunday.

Invader440
    Fosston, Mn

Did you make sure it was fully charged?

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

Like everyone else has said, just take right to the source where they can diagnose and fix all in one go. That is one big plus to owning a Marcum and living around the cities. Hopefully it all works out, This is the second year with my Lx6 and absolutely love it, digital has definitely won me over

Zack Shack Guy

Fully charged and also used a back up battery to see if it wad the problem, it was not.

Kent Tau

You are not alone… the last guy who had issues with his new lx7 didn’t get much service till he drove to versa in person. Something he should never had to do in the first place. Hope things get better. Although I don’t know where he lives by the sound of things he wasn’t in the twin cities.

Zack Shack Guy

Brought it in yesterday… they said that they had never seen the problem before. They were very nice and they said that I should have it back to enjoy in time for Lake of the Woods next week.

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

Ah now i would be worried, never saw this problem before???? Yeh right , they probably have 10 on the shelf with the same problem. Hope they get yours fixed and no more problems!

Zack Shack Guy

Got the LX-7 back today (although I had to call them to see if it was ready)… they said that it was an electrical component that had to be switched, but the guy didn’t really know what that meant. They also re-did the wires on the battery connecter for me as well as replaced the knob that had fallen off.
    I am hopeful that it will work up at Lake of the Woods next week. I usually bring a back-up with me (LX-1 and FL-8), but have 2 buddies coming up with me that will be using them, so let’s hope I don’t have to confiscate one of them back.
    Overall, I was not overly impressed with the customer service, however I also know that it is the busiest time of the year for them. For me as long as the unit works from now on I will be a happy customer, because I think that the LX-7 when working is an awesome unit.

Max

Got the LX-7 back today (although I had to call them to see if it was ready)… they said that it was an electrical component that had to be switched, but the guy didn’t really know what that meant. They also re-did the wires on the battery connecter for me as well as replaced the knob that had fallen off.
    I am hopeful that it will work up at Lake of the Woods next week. I usually bring a back-up with me (LX-1 and FL-8), but have 2 buddies coming up with me that will be using them, so let’s hope I don’t have to confiscate one of them back.
    Overall, I was not overly impressed with the customer service, however I also know that it is the busiest time of the year for them. For me as long as the unit works from now on I will be a happy customer, because I think that the LX-7 when working is an awesome unit.

I recommend you take it out on a nearby lake and try it first before your trip. On the water can be different from just turning it on and everything looks like it works. When I got mine back and went to the lake it had a slight glitch of the screen and a few freeze ups than it worked just fine after. It made me mad for a bit there but now is all smiles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.