lx-7 or lx-6s

• Brennon Nielson

Hey guys! I am upgrading from a showdown 5.6 dual beam and am starting to save and do my research for a new finder for the upcoming season and ive narrowed it down to the marcum lx-7 or the lx-6s. what are the differences, pros/cons, like/dislikes that you guys can break down for me? definately going marcum and i want to go with a digital flasher to get the different view modes. Thanks for any and all input!!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Both are good units. I would say it all depends on your fishing style. If you hop around alot you are going to want the less heavy lx-6. If you mainly stay put, go with the lx-7. Also if you ever plan on upgrading and adding the camera to it, the lx-7 size is nice to have.

I have hole hopped with a lx-7 a few times and it works fine it is just a little clunky.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The extra cost for the LX7 is typically $100 or less, well worth it in my opinion… I own a LX-9 and love it (other than the lack of promised software updates and shallow water performance issues Marcum won’t fix)

Spencer Haugen

I went from the 6 to the 7 for the bigger screen and upgrade it to the 9 when I have the spare cash. The only thing i hate about the 7 is the case they put it in

Brennon Nielson

didnt they start using a different case? i found some older posts that sounded like maybe they had but not positive

JoeMX1825
    MN

I believe they changed the strap location & angle on the case 1-2 years ago to help reduce the chance of tipping when hole hopping, I solved any case issues by having a few straps of velcro sewn in, works like a charm now… The LX-6s uses a much smaller & updated case…The LX-7 and LX-9 use the same case..

JFan02

I picked up the LX-6S last winter and have really liked it. It was a huge upgrade from the Humminbird Ice-35 that I had. I do a lot of hole hopping so the 6 just made more sense. We also usually run 3 6’s right next to each other and they play pretty well together so you don’t have that concern.

I’m still getting used to the graph mode but it’s been great to be able to see how the fish react to different jigging styles. It really helps to dial into what the fish actually want.

Tyler Smith
    Allegan MI

I use the LX-7 and have no problem hole hopping with it. After looking at the size of the screen and the ability to upgrade to a 9 the additional $100 to go from the 6 to the 7 is money well spent.

Brennon Nielson

I use the LX-7 and have no problem hole hopping with it. After looking at the size of the screen and the ability to upgrade to a 9 the additional $100 to go from the 6 to the 7 is money well spent.

can you buy just the camera at a later time and use it with the 7? i havent ever seen just the camera for sale

big_g
    Isle, MN

you send it in to Marcum and they upgrade the software and add the camera. It’s like a $300 option ?? (that could be off some)

JoeMX1825
    MN

you send it in to Marcum and they upgrade the software and add the camera. It’s like a $300 option ?? (that could be off some)

The LX-7 to LX-9 update is $499 from Marcum

Tyler Smith
    Allegan MI

You cannot buy just the camera. The software is different between the 2 units. You can send the lx7 in to be upgraded to an lx9 at any time though.

Brennon Nielson

is the lithium battery really worth the upgrade with these units?? i generally fish 1 or 2 times a week for 8-9 hours max per trip. is it really worth almost 200 bucks for a battery??

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think you can get them a little cheaper than that, and they are nice for hole hopping, but it’s really personal preference.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

If you happen to decide to sell the showdown unit please send me a pm, I would probably be interested in it.

Brennon Nielson

If you happen to decide to sell the showdown unit please send me a pm, I would probably be interested in it.

If my 2 buddies fall through I’ll let ya know!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.