Lund Impact or Alumacraft Competitor

• brad-o
    Mankato

Looking to upgrade my boat. Right now I have a Lund 1650 explore tiller. Would like to go to a single console, Lund Impact 1775, Alumacraft Competitor 175, or G3 Angler. I have climbed in and out of the Lund and Alumacraft and like both. I don’t know much about the G3. There seems to be a lot of 1-4 year old Alumacrafts for sale and very few Lunds is that a volume issue or a problem? Dealers that I have talked to all seem to be good. If you fished these boats give me some feed back?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have a 1875 Impact Sport, bought it new in 2014. I absolutely love the boat, it does everything I need it too. It fishes well and doubles as a nice skiing/tubing boat when needed. My only complaint would be that it is what it is…a 18 1/2 aluminum boat that doesn’t ride big waves very well. It doesn’t track very well and gets blown around easily, but holds it own. Even with its limitations, I have never felt unsafe in it and I’m on Mille Lacs 90% of the time.

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

I have an ’18 competitor 175 sport that I bought new this spring. I like it a lot so far but I upgraded for a 70s 14′ lund. I find it very stable with how wide it is. I have been told many times that alumacraft is the better value, while lund may have a slightly nicer boat, the price difference doesn’t justify it.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Competitor and the Impact are basically the same boat. I actually was leaning towards the Alumacraft at the time but the Lund was actually cheaper.

BP
    Hudson, WI

I bought a used 2016 Lund Impact 1875 with a 150 hp Merc this spring. I love it. I do agree with brian_peterson that it doesn’t ride really big waves well. We were on Vermilion with some big rollers and we got pounded. But, to avoid that you need a 20’+ fiberglass.

I was in the same boat as you trying to decide between Competitor and Impact. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I do like that my model has the jump seats that also fold down to form a bigger casting platform. Not sure if the Competitor has that. But, I do like the dashboard better with the Competitor. Much more room for the bigger graphs.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Been running an 2013 competitor 175 Sport that I purchased new. Have the full windshield, wife wanted that and sometimes i love it, sometimes I hate it. Like the stability of the rig for the family though. Wish the ride was better for big water waves like my buddies with glass boats but that is something I knew would be different in the glass vs tin debate. I have a 150 yammie and a 9.9 kicker on my rig. The boat fishes very will for my family, just Me, Mom and Son. I have run all around Winnebago in waves with no problem feeling safe with the stable boat. I also troll Lake Michigan for salmon. It is nice to have the stability when we are on the churned up lakes around here in SE WI.

Have not had any major problems with the boat. Just a few screws I had to tighten every now and then. When I have it was operator error.

Overall you can’t make a bad decision here.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ford VS Chevy Thing. How far are they apart in pricing? Same motor? Motor brand may sway some people. I know some new motors offer a 3,5 or 10 year warranty. Do they come with trolling motor and graph? Lots of questions to look at but what ever one you go with you should be happy. Make sure to get close to the max HP.

Deleted

I have a 2016 competitor, my two neighbors have 2013 and 2014 Competitors and my brother just got a 2018 Competitor. No complaints!! Rock Solid boats!! Two neighbors got etecs and my brother and I got Yamaha ……good luck!

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Competitor and the Impact are basically the same boat. I actually was leaning towards the Alumacraft at the time but the Lund was actually cheaper.

The Lund was cheaper??? That shocks me. I bought a new Alumacraft Edge last year and looked and priced the Lund Crossover. Apples to apples the Lund was $5,000 more. Ended up purchasing the Alumacraft Edge. NO REGRETS!

Chad

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Yep, with incentives, my boat was actually a couple hundred bucks cheaper all loaded up. Had there been a 5k difference at the time…I’d be driving a Competitor.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

To be fair though, the Edge and the Crossover are quite a bit different boats.

brad-o
    Mankato

Thanks for all the reply’s and keep them coming.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

My Edge has an all aluminum transom, no wood. Not sure about the Lunds.

One

Love my 2018 EDGE so far,i got 115 yamie,i wish 150hp.

brad-o
    Mankato

I believe the Lund is a HDP composite. I do see that most of the Alumacrafts come with a 115 hp but are max rated for a 150. Any issue with the 115?

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

To be fair though, the Edge and the Crossover are quite a bit different boats.

No offense but I totally disagree. If you are looking for an aluminum fish/ski boat those 2 boats are very comparable – spent many time in both before purchasing. Just my 2 cents.

Chad

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I stand corrected! I was thinking of a different boat.

CaptainMusky

If you are fine with a Merc outboard, go with Lund because that is your only choice. If you want something else, Etec, Yammy, Honda or Suzuki (my choice) then Alumacraft is the only option.
    Not saying Merc is a poor choice, I just prefer to have options and not have something crammed down my throat when I buy something.
    The competitor is going to have a bit better hull design for rougher water, but if you are looking at a 175 in any boat and expecting it to ride like a glass boat you will be disappointed.
    Regarding size of motors, my buddy has a 175 Competitor sport with a 140 Suzuki. It moves his boat along pretty good. The tough thing with a 115 motor is that most of them are basically a 90HP block but with 115 output. The Suzuki 140 shares the 115 platform, but if you opt up to a 150 Suzuki that is sharing the 175 bore and stroke. I have a 150 on my boat (rated for 200) and my boat easily gets on plane and speeds in mid 40’s with a 21 prop. I had a 23 on it and I was just shy of 50. I just came back from Canada with 3 guys in my boat and HEAVILY loaded with gear, full tank of gas, 2 extra gas cans, tent, cots, huge coolers loaded with ice, I was still seeing 40mph and it would just pop right up on plane almost as good as unloaded.
    If you are going to ski or pull tubes at all, go with a 150, they have a lot more low end grunt, plus its better for boat control in rough water.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have the 150 Merc 4stroke. It’s been a great motor so far. I had the 140 Suzy on my last Lund and loved that motor too…although a bit underpowered for a 140, I believe it was only 128hp at the prop.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

seems a horse a piece. I’d go to a dealer for each and just find out with rebates exactly how cheap you can get both. A couple years ago I bought a lund cheaper than a comparable alumacraft with a much bigger motor than I would’ve got on the alumacraft. Granted it was August and I bought the last one from that model year in stock. If I would’ve ordered a 17 instead of taking the last 16 it would have been a 4 grand difference without rebates.

moral of the story in my opinion. buy something on the rack they want gone.

Deleted

August for us too…..got a 2016 in August of that year. Brother got a 2018 this spring and paid almost $5k more. Same boat, same motor, etc….

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Lund will factory mount Honda as well as the Merc. I bought a 2018 1875 Sport this spring with the 150 Merc. The engine performs well with the optional stainless prop. Fuel consumption seems pretty good and have seen 50mph/gps (by myself, full tank, down river, tail wind). I added the drawers and on the go rod storage both of which I like. The size and storage are great. If you buy the Lund check my post on Lund forum on mounting a Helix 10.

CBMN
    North Metro

If you are fine with a Merc outboard, go with Lund because that is your only choice. If you want something else, Etec, Yammy, Honda or Suzuki (my choice) then Alumacraft is the only option.

This is not necessarily true. Several dealers will buy Lund’s with no motor from the factory and put on what you want. You might not be able to find them on the show room floor this way, but if you do do some research you can find dealers that will put Yamaha, Suzuki, and Etec’s on a Lund.

CaptainMusky

This is not necessarily true. Several dealers will buy Lund’s with no motor from the factory and put on what you want. You might not be able to find them on the show room floor this way, but if you do do some research you can find dealers that will put Yamaha, Suzuki, and Etec’s on a Lund.

While technically true, they sure sock it to ya when it comes to rigging. All the controls and gauges are Merc specific. At least that was the case when I was shopping last time and it was priced WAY out of the league of an Alumacraft to have a Suzuki on a Lund that is not even counting the general Lund being more expensive aspect too.

CBMN
    North Metro

When I bought my pro v new in 2013 it would have been the same price for a Yamaha 150 as the merc 150 I ended up choosing. The merc was about 40 lbs lighter and has troll control rpm adjustment that wasn’t available on the Yamaha at the time so I went with the merc and have to say it has been a great motor. Don’t know that I could have gone wrong with h the Yamaha either. That is actually the reason I ended up at the dealership I bought from, because they would put a Yamaha on and then I ended up getting the merc anyway. I guess the lesson learned is do some research and contact multiple dealers.

Ronald K. Smrz

Not saying Merc is a poor choice, I just prefer to have options and not have something crammed down my throat when I buy something.

If you want the motor of your choice, better hurry up as BRP (evinrude) has just bought Alumacraft. It will probably be as hard to get another brand motor as getting a motor other than a Yamaha on a Skeeter.

brad-o
    Mankato

I end up pulling the trigger on a 2018 Lund Impact 1775 SS. The boat has five hours but is full loaded. I could not beat the price. I will pick it up on Friday. Thanks for all the help

Attachments:
    1. 20180702_094145_resized.jpg

2. 20180702_094116_resized.jpg

3. 20180702_094124_resized.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.