Lund gas leak

• Sam Snead

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the Lund forum. I apologize for starting out by asking for assistance but I promise to hang around in the future. I didn’t realize this even existed until doing a Google search. Anyway, I have a 2016 Rebel XS Sport with a 90 HP Merc. I’ve been smelling fuel for a while but until recently didn’t see anything in the bilge. I though it was just vapor. A few days ago when draining water from the bilge I noticed a small amount of fuel. I took the center floor board off and seen what I believe to be a plug in the fuel tank. The threads were seeping fuel (see picture).

I tried to tighten but it’s as tight as it will go without risking stripping the tank threads. So I’m going to need to drain the fuel and remove it. My question is: Has any Lund owner ever ran into this same situation? If so, any pitfalls I need to be aware of before removing and fixing? I understand the safety issues concerning disconnecting the battery and such, I just want to be sure there isn’t something I’m missing. Also, I’d appreciate a recommendation on the type of sealant I can use on the threads when reinstalling. Thanks all.

Attachments:
    1. 2D8FEE19-A56A-418D-9F8D-A373C56D65F9-scaled.jpeg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would try removing the plug and see if its crossed threaded and maybe put some pipe dope on the treads and reinstall, lot less work to try first. Also make sure the tank vent is working, other wise the tank will build up pressure and force gas out where ever its easiest to get out.

MX1825

There is a different pipe thread dope/putty??? for gasoline fittings. It is different than what you use for water fittings.
    I think it is called Gasol fitting sealer??

Sam Snead

Thanks Bigcrappie. I agree, but first I’ll need to reduce the fuel volume to a level below the plug.

Sam Snead

Thank you MX1825. I found it – expensive, but what isn’t nowadays.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Great reason to tell the wife you need to burn up some gas and go fishing….LOL
    Can I steal that idea from myself?

Thanks Bigcrappie. I agree, but first I’ll need to reduce the fuel volume to a level below the plug.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

. So I’m going to need to drain the fuel and remove it.

Drain the fuel? Why?

remove”it” ? the plug? the tank? The thru tank fitting that the plug is threaded into?

If in fact the plug threads are what is leaking, why can you not just unscrew the plug, clean up the threads, apply a proper sealant and screw the plug back in?

The plug is already in the upper most surface of the tank (the top wall of the tank), which should put the plug threads above the present level of the fuel.

Sam Snead

HuntinDave,

I have the boat parked on a ramp with the bow on a 15 degree angle – pointed up. All the fuel is piled up in the stern.

Thx
    Sam

Sam Snead

Sure can – anything to help a fishing friend!

Sam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.