Lake Insight?

• Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Forgive me if this has been covered previously, I could not find what I was looking for when I searched the forum. My question is: what inland lakes are included in Lowrance’s Lake Insight product? Here is a quote from their web site under the HDS-5 description:

For the Americas, you also get a choice of incredible, built-in Lowrance Insight cartography with your model selection: Lake Insight™ for U.S. inland and Great Lakes;

I was in the Minong, WI area this last weekend, fished 5 different lakes, and none of them had contour lines (I did try my HDS-5 without any map chip in it). Is there anything else one has to do to select “Lake Insight”? Thx.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have the Insight in my 8. It’s nice for a back up, but you might want to check out the LakeMaster lake maps.

Depending on where you’re fishing, they can’t be beat.

Wi Chips<<<

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

As a part of my NAFC fishin club, I received the Fishing Hot Spots Pro Chip for review and the literature indicated that it is the mapping data used in the Lake Insight HDS units. After installing it in my Lowrance 332C Gps/locator,I recognise the format and it is great that both of my units now look and operate similarly. I’ve used earlier versions of Lakemaster Chips and they are great. My only gripe (and they may have changed this since) is that it retains all the depth lines as you zoom out until the screen turns black with too much detail. I was using the chip on Little Cutfoot Sioux adjacent to Winnibigosh. I struggled to get a readable screen on my 522ci as I was navigating this lower unit eating body of water. Has Lakemaster learned how to pare back the detail as you zoom out?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Has Lakemaster learned how to pare back the detail as you zoom out?

Here’s a whole list of featured Lakemaster lakes and rivers with dozens of screen captures at a variety of zoom ranges. I’ve never noticed the scenario you mentioned so you’ll want to browse the images to see if they’ve made the change you’re looking for.

Featured Lakes & Rivers from Lakemaster

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

James, I appreciate the redirect to the screenshots at different zoom levels. You showed me that they have not changed what frustrated me about their maps when I was on Little Cutfoot Sioux. On a 5″ screen the contour lines at the 2 mile zoom level (where i could see far enough ahead of my boat to clearly see the channel I was to follow) are so close that they turn the channel black and become unreadable so that I was unable to gauge what depth the solid rock bottom rose up to. Frightening when depths rise to within 2-3 feet of the surface from 50′ depths in a heartbeat. Lowrance pro maps reduce detail as you zoom out so that the map remains readable. I was hoping that Lakemaster had incorporated that since I really don’t need 1′ contours at the 40 mile zoom level. Clearly, they haven’t and I will have to be content with some contours being 3′ at best zoom level. Thanks for your help.
    I really enjoy your site and the videos of your show–Keep it up!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bob

This is actually a Lowrance issue and not a Lakemaster map issue. Or maybe it is more accurate to say there’s differences in the way the Lakemaster map data is displayed by the various manufacturers. In a Humminbird the depth lines disappear at 1 mile zoom range and you have depth shading w/o the lines. Not that this info helps much as I doubt switching electronics brands is the answer you were looking for.

Thanks for the compliments on the TV show. We start our new season the first sunday in November.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.