Lowrance Side Image

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I recently installed the new Lowrance 3d/SS system on my Skeeter WX1910. I was able to capture an image while fishing Rainy River last week of just how many walleye/sturgeon/fish are in that system while the spring migration is going on. This side imagine tool was very key for us in finding biting fish. We tried several spots up and down the river from Birchdale to Frontier, but focused on areas that held the most amount of fish based on our Lowrance side image. Having this amount river also helps understand side image as well.
    Now being able to cast 40-60 feet in either direction certainly gave me confidence knowing my jig was in the strike zone often

Attachments:
    1. 2016-Cal-Rainy-River.jpg

2. lowrance-SI.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Great image Cal. I saw the same thing on my side imaging in a few spots. Sure did narrow the search window. I can’t always tell what is a fish and what isn’t on the 2d sonar on a river. With all the logs, rocks and sand dunes and such. The side imaging makes it quite clear what you’re looking at. I can’t wait to use it again next year.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Laughably easy finding the biggest fish in the state these days. )

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I thought I saw they had a feature that would make the fish a different color. Do you know about that?

John S.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lol.

There is no way technology can decifer what is a fish and what is anything else… At this point anyway

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I beg to differ FishBlood…with software algorithms, and a TON of testing they can program the software do an “educated guess” based on facts that are discovered during the test phase. Logs don’t swim. Sure, there will be times that it guesses wrong, but are you going to complain that you fished a spot too long because it turned out to be a turtle? Of course not. We do that now without being 100% sure with the sonar that we have used for decades.

I operate an ROV with a sonar attached to the front for our county and while sitting still I was able to watch (live) a school of carp swim by. We confirmed what they were after piloting closer and then seeing them on the camera this winter under the ice. This is a $150K system, though. It is only a matter of time before this tech is shrunk, and made inexpensive enough for the average consumer. This will be the next step in consumer sonar. The live view Pan Optix from Garmin is doing that right now. You can watch your bait fall and fish react in real-time.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I beg to differ FishBlood…with software algorithms, and a TON of testing they can program the software do an “educated guess” based on facts that are discovered during the test phase. Logs don’t swim. Sure, there will be times that it guesses wrong, but are you going to complain that you fished a spot too long because it turned out to be a turtle? Of course not. We do that now without being 100% sure with the sonar that we have used for decades.

I operate an ROV with a sonar attached to the front for our county and while sitting still I was able to watch (live) a school of carp swim by. We confirmed what they were after piloting closer and then seeing them on the camera this winter under the ice. This is a $150K system, though. It is only a matter of time before this tech is shrunk, and made inexpensive enough for the average consumer. This will be the next step in consumer sonar. The live view Pan Optix from Garmin is doing that right now. You can watch your bait fall and fish react in real-time.

I’ll agree with educated guess using the same algorithms I use in my brain to decifer objects. Many things left undefined, even in my 8 year si experience and hundreds upon hundreds of days on the water and thousands and thousands of hours interpreting si.

Logs definitely move through the water column and fish also hug bottom like logs.

What a wonderful world

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

FishBlood, no need for the Lol, though I don’t take it personal. I was asking for an intelligent answer from someone who actually uses StructureScan 3D and can educate me on the features and how they work in the real world versus what marketing fluff says.
    As an engineer myself, I think you underestimate what smart engineers can accomplish with state-of-the-art technology. The Digital Signal Processing software can tell how far an object is, how far off the bottom, the density, and perhaps even the length. It’s not that far fetched to think they could color objects that have a different density than the bottom.
    Ok, maybe it can’t tell exactly what a fish is, but highlighting something that’s different density than it’s surroundings would be cool. Thinking more out of the box, with the large memory in modern sonars, they could characterize densities of rock, sand, wood of various diameters, various fish species into a reference database. Then it’s a matter of looking up something that matches what the sonar signals indicate.
    That’s how engineers think and how they come up with so much cool, amazing stuff. Remember back in the day when everyone told the Wright brothers “Lol, man can’t fly!” ;)

John S.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.