Looking for input on 17/18\\\' tiller boats

• leeland13

I have a bass boat now but thinking of more of multi species boat. And like the own layout of tillers would like to here some input on some boats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Where are you from?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Skeeter boat center in chippawa falls can get you a ride in both a skeeter and warrior. Lots of differences in brands of tillers. Get as many on water rides as you can.

leeland13

Warriors are nice boats just out of my price range and thinking aluminum

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

OK, can’t help you there.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

If you’re thinking aluminum, go Lund or be wet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Aaron, what did you find out on your motor?

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I have a lund rebel with console if getting a tiller I would look at the rebel with the tiller. If your in the market for new I’d find what you want and buy the last in stock at the end of the season when their being discounted.

shoestringtrvlr1

I love our Lund 1725 pro guide. Wide, stable, large casting deck and plenty of storage. Got a 75hp Yamaha that works great on the boat. Great multi species boat for bass, panfish and walleye fishing. Also fishes 3 people nicely.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Has anyone really heard anything bad about big tillers?

Fished out a 20′ pro guide couple times on Leech when she got real hairy and can tell ya we got pretty wet, overall for most conditions a very dry boat though.

Seems most used tillers on the market go pretty fast, would do your research first then be ready to bounce quick.

Crappy Fisherman

Been fishing a 1875 Pro Guide/90 Mercury for 3 years. Plenty of room, l love running everything from the back. If you go that route get some good rain gear. Most of the time you won’t need it, but when it blows you can get pretty wet. If your looking for boat control you can’t beat a tiller. If setup right a wheel boat will fish pretty close, but there is no such thing as the perfect boat. If your married and your wife like to fish make sure she understands how wet and windy it can get. Mine doesn’t mind, she just faces me and puts her hood up.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I have a Yar-craft 2095 tiller with a 200 verado on it. It can get wet with a side chop, but is to be expected. I love the boat control that I get and unless it is dead calm”which in North Dakota is very rare” I back troll with a vantage and small drift sock. When it is really blowing I use a big drift sock and big motor to back troll. You will never go wrong with a tiller I feel. I use mine to fish, pull the kids on tubes, and to take the kids swimming. There is a ton of room in the boat when I put all my fishing stuff away. They love it and I have been teaching my 7YO how to drive it. She thinks its fun, but goes the wrong way.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1202.jpg

pale ryder
    NULL

Some of the advantages of a console are;
    more power
    protection from the elements
    no arm fatigue
    I find it much easier to drive a console boat in adverse conditions. Being able to see the sonar and GPS while looking forward is very helpful when dealing with wind, hazards, crowds, etc..

The advantages of a tiller are;
    lower cost ?
    more space.
    Faster steering giving you more control at low speeds.

If I were looking for a 17′-18′ tiller I would look at the Backtroller Avid, Tuffy, Lund, Crestliner, Warrior, and Yarcraft.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Its a tiller. Doesnt matter what brand you will get wet.

I went from a Alumacraft TP 175 to a Sketter 1790t.

Yes the skeeter is dryer. I got hit with 15 gallons of water instead of 25.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Guest this week next door at inlaws cabin had an avid back troller looked awesome setup to fish

catnip
    south metro

The best part of driving a tiller in chop is seeing the faces of your passengers as you are ball slapping them across the lake and b cups will bounce nicely lol.

404 ERROR
    MN

My brother has a 1800 Lund Tiller with a 90hp Merc. I’ve gotten it to 44MPH with a full tournament load and two guys. You will get more wet in a tiller, there’s no way around that. The space it provides is well worth it, IMO. Fished out of a 16′ Crestliner tiller over the weekend. Stayed pretty dry and the ride was fairly smooth for it’s size.

I don’t know if I will ever go back to a wheelboat when I buy a new one in the next couple years. My old Navigator 175CS was nice, but tillers are just so much better setup for my needs. If you like to maximize fishable space, get a tiller. If you want comfort on long runs, and staying relatively dry, get a wheelboat. Many new tiller boats are rated for some big HP, but expect a slight decline in max HP with most tillers.

shockers
    Rochester

X2 on Merican’s comments.

I have a 16 foot Crestliner tiller. My dad has the 20-foot Lund 2010 ProGuide tiller. His is way nicer than mine, but….you’re gonna get wet in a tiller at times. As Merican said, just depends on your needs etc. I prefer to maximize fishable space. I figure I’m spending 90 percent of the time slow trolling/stationary, so I’ll aim for maximizing what I do the most.

One thing guys have mentioned is to make sure and max out the HP on a tiller if you can.

leeland13

Thanks for the input. I really like the crest liner pro tiller 1750 other than the command center like the fact it’s rated for 90 unlike Aluma craft haven’t looked at Lund yet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Look at Backtroller. It’s alot of boat for under $30K.

404 ERROR
    MN

Look at Backtroller. It’s alot of boat for under $30K.

X2. I have spoke with John at shows and over the phone, he is a stand-up guy who really has a passion for building a quality boat. Not the fastest boat out there, but incredibly high quality and the price can’t be beat. From the hardware to the wiring, it’s truly top notch. From the few I’ve seen go for sale used, they hold their value REALLY well also…Last year I think John said he was maxing out around 25 boats. Not because he couldn’t make more, but because he didn’t want to rush and sacrifice quality.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.