Looking for a little help for Leech

• NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Hey fellas,

I’m heading to Leech for the day on Friday. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for fishing Leech? Not looking for spots, just mainly looking for advice on what tactics/live bait to try, maybe areas of the lake and depths to target. Looking to pick up a few walleyes for a fish fry is all. I’ve never been out on big water before so this is all new to me. I did buy a boat that I believe can handle a little rougher weather if it gets a little windy. I was planning on jigs/minnows, possibly pulling some lindy’s/spinners, and trying some crankbaits. I will admit, I’ve never caught a walleye doing anything but pitching a jig before so I’m truly new to this. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! Nick

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Where on the lake you going out of?

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

I think I will be launching into Walker Bay. I have to see where a good boat launch is. I was going to launch out of Whipholt but I’m going to need to get some bait in Walker.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like Ericson’s Landing just north of Walker, the city launch is nice too. With the cooler weather, I’d be looking shallower. I haven’t been to Leech this summer, so this is off of memories, but if you like cranking shallow the flats between Ericson’s landing and Walker Narrows can be good (it’s a huge area). For jig and a minnow, I’d be looking for nice breaks and/or green weeds and solid marks before wetting a line. Good luck and look forward to a report on how you did!

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

I’ll be heading up Friday evening as well. I’ve had luck in the late summer/early fall before trolling shadraps in typical walleye weather. Last year around this time I had success near Cedar Point (5 minute boat ride out of walker).

I’ll be fishing out of Pine Point, and plan to fish Saturday and Sunday quite a bit. I’ll happily update you on what I find during the weekend.

Edit: just realized you said “for the day” on Friday. I’d certainly be looking up near the ice house and Cedar Point. Sand Point might be another area to cruise quickly as well.

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Hey guys, thanks for the information. It’s looking like the weather may be decent after all. I don’t have high hopes but I will definitely report back. I appreciate the tips. Have a good weekend. Nick

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The walleyes and perch are active. Jig and minnow in 8-10 f.o.w. will catch you fish.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Phil, are they showing a preference for a certain type of minnow?
    The shallow ‘eyes, are they weedline related/structure related or on flats?

NapaNick
    Twin Cities, MN

Well I said I would report back….and I do so with my tail between my legs. We went and picked up bait in Walker and headed out to the lake. It was windy and raining most of the day. Slight mist to a pretty good drizzle by 5:00. We fished from about 10:00 until 5:00. We tried fatheads and crawlers on jigs. Also tried trolling some small reef runners as well. Only managed 2 small perch all day. We started our day by drifting along the North side of Pine Point. Anywhere from 6-12 FOW. Moved up to take cover behind Goose island for a bit while the wind was really blowing. Drifted the southwest side of Goose island, then with the wind out of the North drifted down the east side of Goose island. From there we moved down to the GrandView flats thinking maybe they would be in deeper water. Marked a nice pike or musky hanging on the bottom and got bit off by it. (Saw it on the side imaging). From there we moved up to Big Hardwood Point. “Hid” behind the point and ate a late lunch/snacks (of course fishing while we did so). Moved up on the North side to drift down along the point. It really started to rain at this point and I knew the weather was supposed to turn more severe so we moved back into Walker bay, picked a 18′ hump and sat on top of it. Got really frustrated, trolled along the West shoreline of walker bay in 6-14 FOW and picked up the small perch. Decided to head in at this point. I had a hard time keeping the boat under .9 mph, even with the drift sock I have and I’m thinking my jigs were not on or near the bottom most of the time. I had a 1/4 oz jig on and it seemed like the boat was moving too fast to keep it on the bottom. Casting in the wind seemed like a waste of time as I had such a huge bow in my line when I tried. Definitely had some humble pie for dinner. I have ideas for next trip but I was really disappointed with this trip. I know it was us but I would have liked to pick up a couple fish. There’s always next time as they say.

We ended up on Farm Island Saturday and picked up a few nice walleyes and some sunfish. Ended the day throwing some spinnerbaits and picked up a couple nice pike for the grill.

I just wanted to say thank you to those that replied with info. I appreciate you taking the time to give us some help. Phil, do you have ice houses out there during the winter? What about if we have portables and 4 wheelers/snowmobiles? Do you guide out there in the winter as well?

How did everyone else do? Anyone catch any fish on Friday?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.