Livewell cleaning/sanitizing?

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the live well to help minimize that funky smell? I’m leery of tossing in a bit of bleach for what it might do to the next few fish I may decide to keep.
    Short of leaving it out in the sun for the UV rays to burn it away, any other ideas?

I don’t mind it so much but the FW doesn’t like to too well when it smells up the garage and her Honda Accord….go figure.

Tx,
    Don

Crappy Fisherman

I always rinse mine with the hose when I get home and leave the door to the live well open till I’m going out again.

munchy
    NULL

Baking soda, hot water, and scrub brush. Then flush

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Don’t be leery of the bleach. When I brine meat in my ice chests or put fish directly into the ice chest I fill with water and a little bleach overnight. Rinse a couple times the next day and no worries nor any smells.

BTW, it’s what all the restaurants wipe their counters and tables with to meet the health code.

riverruns
    Inactive

A little bleach won’t hurt. Don’t worry about it.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t see a problem with a little bleach, but when in doubt, use vinegar water.

Ryan Wilson

I use bleach all the time to clean aquarium equipment (saltwater tanks with corals and freshwater tanks with plants, and of course both have fish and I even have marine snails in the saltwater tank). I use a 20:1 ratio of water:bleach and rinse very thoroughly with fresh water and a dechlorinater made for aquariums (Seachem Prime) and have never had any issues with any livestock the past 4 years.

For a live well using bleach water, a thourough rinse half a dozen times and enough time for the rinse water to evaporate and I don’t believe you would have any problems whatsoever. With a proper rinse, you could use a wide variety of cleaning mediums from Ajax to dawn dish soap. Just rinse very very well and leave zero residue behind.

A strong hydrogen peroxide could work well too. It turns to water after a day or so anyways after being diluted with water.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.