Live scope for walleye

• Buckeye1

I am considering the switch to Garmin with all the deals this week. How does the live scope work for walleye fishing. I usually either drift or spot lock and cast for walleye on structure. I do some river fishing in the spring. I was just wondering if the cost of live scope is worth it or will I get more out of side imaging.

BrianF

Walleyes?? I use Mega 360 to find em’ and LS to help catch em’.

Once a pod of fish is found, swing the LS transducer to spot individuals. Cast at them with jerkbaits, swimbaits, and lipless rattlebaits depending on the depth they are holding.

Its pretty amazing to watch them react to the bait. Most will follow or give chase. Some will crush the bait on an aggressive retrieve. Others want a loooong dead-stick pause before they’ll bite. Many will follow right up to your rod tip without biting no matter what you do. The LS will give you the feedback you need to determine what each individual fish seems to prefer – or not prefer.

LS will definitely increase your overall catch – and your personal fun factor – if you learn to use the unit to the fullest. LS has a learning curve and requires a lot of adjustment throughout the day to get the most out of the technology.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to fish without LS and find that I have developed a tendency to no longer ‘blind cast’ as it feels like wasted time and energy. Most all of my casts nowadays are at fish that can be seen on LS. Too bad they don’t all bite!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Once a pod of fish is found, swing the LS transducer to spot individuals

Do you mean aim or do you actually swing it? If you swing it, how is it mounted?

BrianF

Mine is mounted on my trolling motor shaft with RAM mounts. When I say ‘swing’ I meant search using the trolling motor to sweep the LS beam left and right until fish are spotted.

Attachments:
    1. DBC6AED7-FC07-4689-9DD9-B774DD3BF997.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

got it, thanks.
    I haven’t actually fished with mine yet, just trying to absorb as much info as possible.

Buckeye1

That’s for the insight. How does it work in small waves? Does slight bouncing mess up the image?

Buckeye1

Thanks EP that’s a great video. Video like that may drive me to get a “get out of my face book” account. Gonna try you tube first.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I tried sending the utube video but a different one loaded.
    FYI I dont have a bookface account either it was just easier to load that one.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I use mine all the time for walleye. Both river and lakes. When the flow is fast on the river live scope doesn’t really work. Now, with low flow and low water, it’s like being in a lake.

We used this summer jigging in lotw and it was great. Mine is transom mounted….having it pole mounted or TM mounted with the ability to move it would increase the efficacy more.

If you fish the river a fair amount I’d suggest a pole. You are typically spot locked with the bow into current and looking backwards, especially if you fish dams.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.