Line question

• kylem86

I’m sure this has been gone over before, I’m not finding much on the site search about it. I just ordered 2 new combos with line counter reels. My plan is to learn more about pulling boards. I have no idea what type of line to use, I have read online and it seems there is no definite answer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I will be using off shore boards with tattle tail flags. So.. What type of line? Do I put backing on the reel? If so what do you suggest? thanks in advance guys!

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

If they will be strictly board rods I’d spool them up with 10lb mono.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Personally, I use a 10-14# backing followed 100-125 yards of 6# dia braid. Spiderwire Stealth has been good.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you want to run braid. Check out Sam’s Pro Release.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I run 10lb mono on mine and I don’t use any backer, just fill the spool with 10lb. Main reason is if for some reason I break off 50 yards or so I won’t be short of line to continue. I like suffix deep cranking 10lb .

Red ranger
    New Richmond, WI

I agree with sticker. I use a lot of braid but when it comes to the boards find the mono much less problematic. If I run an in-line weight and the water is clear
    I frequently run a floro leader from the weight to the bait.

kylem86

Thank you guys! I use only power pro on my jigging rods and swear by it. I know pulling boards is a whole different animal. I’ll spoil them up with 10# mono and see if I like it.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The one plus I have found with mono is the stretch/forgiveness. When you get the board up to the boat and are unhooking it it is hard to keep good tension on the line with braid. This is when a lot of fish get off. The stretch in mono will keep the line fairly tight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.