Line Counter Line

• walinutz
    Cologne, MN

What is everyone using for line on their line counter reels. Mono or Braid?

my primary usage will be for bottom bouncers but will also use for trolling raps(on occasion using boards)

I’d like to use braid

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Braid, better sensitivity, no twists, better durability

stevenoak

2 with lead, 2 with braid/floro leader. Run the braid way more.

AK Guy

I agree with Ahren about braid for what you’re using it for. I use line counter reels for king salmon and I use mono for that. Stretch is important when a king salmon bites, and during the fight.

mojogunter

I run two with Lead, 8 eight mono, 6 with 10lbs and 2 with 20lbs.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

For walleye I use braid with a mono leader. Braid has a thinner diameter and will cut thru the water eraser helping you get into the zone with less line out or weight. Line choice will also depend on the amount of forgiveness of your rod. You will want the stretch of mono if your rod is too stiff.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

With bouncers I don’t use a line counter. I just drop the rig in while moving, find the bottom and give it a few reels before setting it in a rod holder or holding it in my hand.

If I am pulling cranks in less than 13-14′, it is always braid with about a 6-8′ mono leader attached with a very small ball bearing swivel. Braid is extremely sensitive and with just a little experience it is simple to tell if baits are fouled in any way. If I am pulling cranks in anything over 13-14′, I run leadcore as lead lets me put smaller baits (#5 and 6 raps) deeper consistently. Leadcore also tracks the path of the boat better with a little bow versus “cutting the corner” like braid does as you maneuver the boat. The sacrifice with lead is losing some sensitivity and just the general added work of bringing a fish in while trolling the opposite direction on lead line.

Karry Kyllo

I use low profile line counter reels on bottom bouncers all the time. It works great when running multiple bottom bouncer rods and gives one the ability to set them all at the same depths if desired. Line counter reels work work especially well when trolling bottom bouncers with the rods in rod holders.

Line is a matter of choice but I use 15 lb. Power Pro for long lining cranks and trolling with snap weights. I always tie a click directly to the line without any leader. When running leadcore, I attach a 6 ft. to 8 ft. leader of 15 lb Power pro attached to the main line with a small ball bearing swivel. A fouled crank spinning in circles and twisting up the leadcore is a good thing to avoid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.