Let's see your DIY Helix Shuttle!!!

• luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Ready to roll!

That looks awesome Branden! What did you use for the transducer cup? Just a PVC cap? Looks like it’ll do quite nicely on the hard stuff this year!

Madd Medic

Built one for my Helix 5 out of a plano toolbox.
    I’ve switched the ram mount stem for an 1.5″ one.

Attachments:
    1. 20180310_174402.jpg

2. 20180209_131703.jpg

3. 20180209_131614.jpg

Branden Visser

It was actually a PVC reducer that I cut down so there is a taper at the bottom to catch the transducer.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

It was actually a PVC reducer that I cut down so there is a taper at the bottom to catch the transducer.

Cool! That’s a great idea! Might have to add that to mine! The only suggestion i’d have is to switch which side the battery terminals are on if the bottom of that reducer is right above the terminals and open, you might have water dripping down on them from the transducer.

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

Built one for my Helix 5 out of a plano toolbox.
    I’ve switched the ram mount stem for an 1.5″ one.

This is a pretty solid idea. Nice job!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just finished my shuttle yesterday using a Genz box. Really pleased with how it turned out. I wasn’t sure how I’d like the Genz box, it’s super basic, but I actually liked it. You can easily customize it as well. I’m sure I will find things I need to tweak once I get on the ice, but I’m happy with how it turned out.

Attachments:
    1. 209AE37C-A137-4A71-A310-F221B07F4F30.jpeg

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

The toolbox is a really cool idea… I haven’t seen that before, I like that it’s fully enclosed

Madd Medic

Works well as does the parts container on top for lures I use the most.

turkeynate
    Iowa

That Glow Cup is Legit! It really does depend on the paint the lure uses. At first when I turned on the glow cup I was disappointed because it’s not very bright. However after testing it out on a number of lures I’m sold on it. Here is the proof…

Attachments:
    1. Glow-cup3.jpg

2. Glow-cup4.jpg

3. Glow-cup1.jpg

4. Glow-cup2.jpg

Josh Hugel

Hey this looks like a deadly set up. Is it possible to get some info on how you set this up?

papaperch

I have tried nearly everything over the years for DIY shuttles. What I settled on
    was the 5-gallon bucket. Don’t know about the rest of you. I hate fishing on my knees. A lot of videos show guys doing this while ice fishing.

Like most of you prototype designs were based on fitting in bucket. Final setup while fishing I always turned bucket over and set my shuttle on it. Finally got the idea to just make the 5-gallon bucket the shuttle itself. This way was perfect for hole hopping or fixed position fishing. I could view fish finder while standing or sitting on another bucket just fine.

Some other positives size of fish finder doesn’t matter or size of battery as long as reasonable. Most people have extra 5 gallon sitting around . Amount of metal for frame minimal because bucket provides structure. At top of frame I install a carrying handle. A rod holder is incorporated for my deadstick.

Pic below reveals my “frankenstein ” shuttle. No claims as to beauty for sure.
    Its functionality is what makes it purty to me. Pic is of my Garmin 92sv echomap. As you can see would easily adapt to any fishfinder. Typical cost is less than 20 dollars.

hntfshtrp

Here’s my take on the helix 7 shuttle. It fits in a 3 1/2 or 5 gallon bucket. It’s designed to be used either in the bucket or out of it, and yes the cover can be put on the bucket for helix protection during high speed runs across the lake. I currently have a 8 AH SLA battery, there is room for the Dakota 10 AH battery. There are 4 feet on the bottom for use in or out of the bucket. There are 2 screws on the top of the back board for battery charging or connecting lights to the battery. There is a fuse to prevent catastrophic battery damage if it is shorted out. The battery can be charged while in the bucket. To replace the battery, remove shuttle from the bucket, remove 2 thumb screws, replacement can be done in less than a minute. It is made out of plywood and has been painted so hopefully it will last considering it may never come out of the bucket while on the lake.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181121_161921838.jpg

2. IMG_20181121_161915806.jpg

3. IMG_20181121_161904935.jpg

4. IMG_20181121_161841088.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What have you guys been averaging for hours per battery charge with the standard 12v flasher batteries and these units? I’m assuming I’ll want to dim my screen and mess with a few settings to get max time out of it.

Perry
    Lansing Mich.

my wife is getting me a helix 7 chirp si gps g2 for xmas. I would like to do this for ice also. I know I need xi-9-1521 transducer, a shuttle, battery. I would like to know what I have to download to use it for ice fishing. do I just have to do the updates or do I have to download an “ice” download also?

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

my wife is getting me a helix 7 chirp si gps g2 for xmas. I would like to do this for ice also. I know I need xi-9-1521 transducer, a shuttle, battery. I would like to know what I have to download to use it for ice fishing. do I just have to do the updates or do I have to download an “ice” download also?

Hit me up with a PM and I’ll cover the details for u! The main things as far as software is concerned is to update to the newest helix version and update you humminbird pc application. Then you should be all set! Happy fishing!!

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Here is mine, still have some fine tuning to do. It fits in a five gallon pail. Need to add transducer cup, hooks to wrap transducer cable, trim power cord and add second Ram ball for my iPad for my Pancam. Not sure it was worth it. Someone had a soft pack on line for sale for $90 bucks. Oh well, I do have enough material to make a couple more. It is made from PVC plastic, so it will never rot.

Attachments:
    1. ZM7quCczQqOW72s0jOdzoA.jpg

2. uDjkdneNQKKhMflIIOFQTQ.jpg

3. iINEhEMUSaBJrdtTh4W3Q.jpg

4. 1NTigPdeSai408dGM0pZlQ.jpg

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

Here is mine, still have some fine tuning to do. It fits in a five gallon pail. Need to add transducer cup, hooks to wrap transducer cable, trim power cord and add second Ram ball for my iPad for my Pancam. Not sure it was worth it. Someone had a soft pack on line for sale for $90 bucks. Oh well, I do have enough material to make a couple more. It is made from PVC plastic, so it will never rot.

Hey captain, super clean build and awesome that it fits in the pail. If thats pvc you must have done it woth a 3d printer?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Looks like a PVC trim board.

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Gray .5 inch pvc.

Still need to clean up the edges.

Not crazy about the handle part of it.

The stuff is a pain to cut with the hole saw.

I think I need to turn the speed up.

crwzko
    St. Cloud, MN

Here’s my 7 DIY shuttle. It fits in a smaller pail I have with a screw on lid, pretty safe to travel with. I used an idea from hntfshtrp and put the wiring on the shuttle. Battery is flat on the bottom. Plywood with a coat of poly. I previously had a similar setup for my Marcum. I too do not like fishing on my knees. My Helix will set on top of the pail while in use. I’ll put the ducer in a foam cup attached to the bottom and will need some cord management yet.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0585.jpg

2. IMG_0583.jpg

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Helix 5 di/gps (G1) + Trophy Angler deluxe round base bag

Perry
    Lansing Mich.

here is my prototype! don’t have the transducer yet, ordered it from hodges yesterday. left plenty of room up front for it, and possibly a rod holder! it is light and fits in a 5 gal bucket. rotate helix 7 upward and should be able to wrap extra cord up around the uprights. didn’t have to buy a mount for it the 1/4″ plywood is thin enough to run the thumb screws in. bungee cord should hold the battery in.

Attachments:
    1. WIN_20181202_205552.jpg

2. WIN_20181202_205536.jpg

3. WIN_20181202_205509.jpg

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

here is my prototype! don’t have the transducer yet, ordered it from hodges yesterday. left plenty of room up front for it, and possibly a rod holder! it is light and fits in a 5 gal bucket. rotate helix 7 upward and should be able to wrap extra cord up around the uprights. didn’t have to buy a mount for it the 1/4″ plywood is thin enough to run the thumb screws in. bungee cord should hold the battery in.

Nice one Perry!

BRIAN s GRIDER

here’s mine,
    i used my bottom line portable and cut the front out and added
    a plexiglass front screen and made a holder on back for when its not in use.
    just had to buy the power cable and transducer…ordered today then i will make
    a pvc holder for the ducer.
    attached a dock hook on back for the cable.

Attachments:
    1. 20181221_163848-Copy.jpg

2. 20181221_164128-Copy-1.jpg

3. 20181221_163744-Copy-1.jpg

4. 20181221_164128-Copy.jpg

5. 20181220_180014.jpg

6. 20181221_163744-Copy.jpg

7. 20181220_181653-Copy.jpg

Lsranger406

Hey guys first post on the site. Hope to get some good info. This is my pack I put together. Holds everything needed for multiple days on the ice.

Attachments:
    1. 20180112_225351.jpg

2. 20180112_225301.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I realize it’s a bit early but I got a Helix 7 G3 free when I bought my terrova this year. My terrova has the mega ducer built in so I have the original transducer that came with the Helix 7.
    Any reason I couldn’t use it for hardwater? Or is there a “special ” ducer to operate in ice mode.
    I would like to get a marcum shuttle and pop the helix on that eventually and just use the mega ducer. TIA

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

They make a special transducer for ice fishing that is smaller. It will be a Xi9…(something) depending on your unit. The only problem I can see using the original transducer is the way it would sit in the water. They run around $80.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

I realize it’s a bit early but I got a Helix 7 G3 free when I bought my terrova this year. My terrova has the mega ducer built in so I have the original transducer that came with the Helix 7.
    Any reason I couldn’t use it for hardwater? Or is there a “special ” ducer to operate in ice mode.
    I would like to get a marcum shuttle and pop the helix on that eventually and just use the mega ducer. TIA

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

This is what I did last year, after seeing the picture someone here posted. By the way, thanks to the original poster. I added a vexilar foam float above it. It worked very well. No complaints.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 234 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.