Less Expensive Option Than Otter Lights

• Zack Shack Guy

I purchased the Otter Led Lights about 3 years ago, and they worked well. However, the lights seem to be fading (not sure how that is possible), and I want to replace them. Is there an option out there that does not run $60+?
    Thanks

deertracker

I don’t have a link right now but you can buy self adhesive LED strip lights off of eBay or other websites for cheap.
    DT

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The options out there for LED lighting is crazy! The lights available under a fishing brand are severely overpriced. You can get it in tape form and cut where desired, dimmers, multicolored, its endless.

jgross
    Northeast SD

I use these and love them, they hold a charge for a long time and light up a Otter Lodge hub very well.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

EBay for sure but keep in mind that some of these strips have been laying around in warehouses for years and the tape will likely be garbage.
    3M makes a quality tape called VHB tape. Probably costs as much as an otter strip but you get what u pay for.

Greg C

I used inexpensive led light I got off amazon. Think its 12 inch long and hung it with zip ties.

Steve Grim

Not really less expensive, but I bought the small Clam Light Stick for my Otter Flip over a few years ago and I absolutely love it. I did not cut it in -just attached it to the top bar with 2 of the larger rubber twist ties (sometimes used for cords and such). This allows me to twist it as needed to angle the light where I want it. I also bought a cheap dimmer switch for LEDs on Amazon.

My experience is saving $10 or $20 up front isn’t worth it– cheap stuff breaks and doesn’t work well.

walleyewizard

Just picked up this little guy from Home Depot. Rechargeable with magnets on the back side that stick to the support bars. 3 different power levels. Around $20.

Attachments:
    1. D9E5EBB4-355F-4C5B-9C2E-5F013FFEF09A.jpeg

tradersbayrookie

Ive always liked the idea of the magnetic lights, but all my poles are aluminum.

Dan Buchmann

I bought truck bed LED lights off of Amazon for my Grizzly flip over. Adhesive backed (the 3MVHB). They work great and haven’t moved even going across Lake Superior.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If you buy strip LED off E-Bay or Amazon make sure you get one with 5630 led’s they are the brightest you can get in SMD format and make sure they are IP65 waterproof, they will come incased in a clear rubber.

Loren I Duerr

I bought LED light strip on amazon along with a dewalt 20 volt battery adapter the strip has wires on both ends you can cut it whatever length sealed in rubber Had enough to do my otter lodge otter 1 man. and soldered an adapter on third piece for Lights in side by side very good adhesive. 16 ft long for around 12 dollars.

Loren I Duerr

Looked them up. Fox dam flexible 5050 waterproof 16.4 ft. Lit up otter like sitting outside at noon when and if sun comes out.lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN
    Mike Lehmann

Hawg Outdoors…nice lights and they are true view leds, not that annoying super white/blue led like the otters

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I bought a 30ft strip of LEDs that I could cut and wire as needed. My shack is almost too bright now, but I don’t have shadows or anything to deal with. I ran two 4ft sections down each pole on the side, 2 6fters on the two top poles above my head and above the door. I ran a 3.5ft strip on the inside of my tub and the same on the outside of the tub by my feet. I run the whole thing on an Amped Outdoors powerbox with a couple switches to control the tub lights.

Hookset
    Southern MN

jgross, Thanks for bringing your light up, we have that for our pentagon screen tent for summer camping. Never even gave that a thought. That little light will run for all weekend without charging.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Back in my day. lol

Attachments:
    1. lantern.png

JoeMX1825
    MN

be careful of purchasing lights not meant to be out in the cold temps. Before switching to the Otter LED lights, I tried a cheap strip of LED rope lights and once the temps got cold, they started to fade to a dim glow, in normal temps they were bright again.

Have you tried contacting Otter Customer Support? I bet they would be willing to replace them…

Sylvanboat

Here is what I use – combo light and fan. The hook is removable. I also use a headlamp when necessary.

Attachments:
    1. 3D733942-D0F7-41E0-832E-7936283E0EDF.jpeg

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.