Leech Lake Ice Report

We finally have an ice sheet started on our end of the lake. Went out yesterday to check around the marina area and in front of the resort. We have 4″ about 50 ft out then it goes to 2″-3″ very quickly. This side of the lake is locked up with ice. In the Walker area as of yesterday Kabekona Bay is froze over, the access at Kabekona to the edge of the reeds is froze over same with Steamboat. The Main basin of Walker bay is still wide open and hopefully this snow helps cool that down a little quicker. Headquarters and Boy have been frozen for just over a week and 1/2 heard some reports of guys fishing up there this past weekend. I will post some pictures later today after I get in from shoveling we did not need the snow on this end of the lake, it looks like it is heavy enough to start sinking the ice and I am looking at a lot of black spots as I am writing this. Should be another week if this ice holds. Lots of the smaller lakes in the Longville and Walker area do have walkable ice and the guys that are fishing them are finding some good panfish action. Most reports on those little lakes are 4-6″ of ice. Please use caution on the lakes especially after the snow today and hopefully we get some good cold weather after this snow. Good luck out there.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Josh,
    Could you post some updates on the ice conditions this week? With this cold front it would be nice to make a trip up with the portable this weekend if you think there would be safe ice to go out on. I would think it could freeze rather quickly depending on the current situation

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I see the forecast is for lows of near 0 both tomorrow and Friday. That should make some ice. That is unless they got lots of snow last night and today in that area. Lots of snow on fresh ice is Bad – That could mess up ice for awhile if that happens.

I will probably get out and check out the ice in the morning. As I am sitting here today I have seen it grow which is a nice thing to see. That snow doesn’t make the best ice, but on the plus side we do not have any snow on the ice to insulate it. I know by this weekend we will be able to fish in front of the resort for sure. i had 2 inches the other day and it outlasted the wind. It should be good by the weekend. We are planning to flood out the access and a good distance out to make better ice and melt any snow left on the ice. Will keep you updated throughout the week.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Perfect, hopefully it all works out to get out and catch fish saturday

Here are some ice pictures from this morning. The snow we had sank the ice in front of the resort and the wind kept it open this morning. With single digits it should freeze by this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. ice2015e.jpg

2. ice2015.jpg

3. ice2015g.jpg

4. ice2015d.jpg

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

Ah, if only it were so down here in Iowa. My ‘jiggin’ wrist is itchin bad. Supposed to be 51 degrees here xmas eve. GRRR.

Well it froze solid last night. I am going to get out his afternoon and see what I can find for fish. Did do some testing of the ice and found 4-5inches right out in front. Lucky part is I do not have to go very far out to find a decent spot to fish. Hopefully have some pictures to upload with fish in them.

Attachments:
    1. 12.18.15d.jpg

2. 12.18.15a.jpg

3. 12.18.15b.jpg

4. 12.18.15c.jpg

JFan02

Josh,

Looking forward to your report. My buddies and I are scheduled to be up there mid-January and are hoping for some solid ice!

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.