Lawrence self mapping options….

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

Was hoping someone can point me in the correct direction. I am wondering what Lawrence has for creating maps while on the water of an un-mapped lake? Also which head units will accomplish this?

I have HDS 8’s Gen 2 non-touch.

THX!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Who is Lawrence?

rotflol

Sorry.

TripleA
    Blaine

Insight genesis. Yes your units will work with a SD card to log the data. Not sure how much longer it will be supported. It used to be $100/yr to keep your maps private, then the service went down and no refunds were given, then the servoce became free. Humminbird will be on my next boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kirt might be able to help.

Link

CaptainMusky

Unfortunately the only way to do it with a Gen2 unit is to “Log Sonar” saving it to your unit, then upload that file to the Insight Genesis website, it will then be converted to a file that is usable within your GPS.
    There is an update for Gen3 units that would allow for “on the fly” map making, but that is not coming for Gen2 units. Major bummer for those of use with thousands invested in the Gen2 models.

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

Even though you cannot directly map on the fly with the gen 2, there are several benefits to Insight online. I appreciate the fact you can generate maps with vegetation, bottom hardness, or contours, or any combination of two of these. Depending on how and what you fish for this is invaluable to create different maps with different purposes. As far as I know, Navionics does not offer veg or bottom hardness with their mapping but someone please correct me if I am wrong here!

You still have an option for map on the fly if you have the wireless gofree unit. You should be able to utilize the navionics sonarcharts on your phone or tablet if you connect to the gofree unit to provide sonar data. There are several articles and videos to help you with this.

Hope this helps!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

THX guys!

So if I understand it correctly with my HDS8’s Gen 2 non-touch I can log info and the upload to Insight Genesis? And then I can down load the map back to my HDS Unit on to a SD card?

Kirt
    Lakeville

THX guys!

So if I understand it correctly with my HDS8’s Gen 2 non-touch I can log info and the upload to Insight Genesis? And then I can down load the map back to my HDS Unit on to a SD card?

Follow this link you can do Live on the water mapping with a Gen 2 Non touch and Go Free wi fi. You can do it live on a smartphone with Navionics Mobile App and the new mapping will be on your phone or if you have ipad or tablet.
    http://www.navionics.com/en/sonarchart-live
    video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCvu2GS8Yk

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have non-touch Gen2 units and have been creating Insight Genesis maps of most lakes in my county. I assure you they are more accurate than any map chip you can buy. There is a HUGE variety of amazingly accurate maps available for FREE from gofreeshop.com (Insight Genesis website).
    It’s disappointing Lowrance doesn’t market these free maps more because lots more people would buy their units if they understood how great the maps are.

ffib

I have non-touch Gen2 units and have been creating Insight Genesis maps of most lakes in my county. I assure you they are more accurate than any map chip you can buy. There is a HUGE variety of amazingly accurate maps available for FREE from gofreeshop.com (Insight Genesis website).
    It’s disappointing Lowrance doesn’t market these free maps more because lots more people would buy their units if they understood how great the maps are.

Agreed, its really nice for waters i havnt been on before. Someone did some work on holcombe, cornell, and mud/callahan lakes, those maps are stupid accurate.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

ffib, I’ve done most lakes in Chippewa County, but not Holcombe. The detail of Long Lake is amazing. I also did Mud/Callahan in Sawyer county since we have a camper at the resort, and am currently working on Round Lake so I can have ridiculous detail of all the bars. Also doing some of the Chippewa Flowage and did Osprey which is a fun little lake.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.