lake trout set up?

• henry loew

I am going on a lake trout trip to Canada this march anyone know what line,rod and lures I should get for this trip…

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I use a tuned up custom LTP or Commander. I prefer the LTP as it has a longer butt end for more grip and support. I use 15lb Sufix 832 braid down to a 4-6 foot 15lb Fluorocarbon leader. You can’t go wrong with a white tube or white swim jig with a white jerk shad. I usually use a 4-6″ jerk shad and a 1/4 ounce jig. I would also bring some VMC tingler spoons and some hard minnow baits such as the Slab Rap or Rippin’ Rap

If you have all that, you should be covered.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a 40″ Thorne Bros Laker rod spooled with 10 lb. P-Line fluorocarbon. 1/4 oz jig with a pearl or white tube.

HmongCreation
    Saint Paul, MN

I agree with Fife the only different between me and Fife is he use 10lb and I use 14lb he use thorne bros and I use st. Croix both 40″

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Pat, What is your opinion/experience on using scented baits with Lakers?

drewbop
    Duluth

Pat, you should have done this:

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Back in the early 2000’s when I was going to Canada lake trout fishing, I built a 42″ rod out of a st Croix blank. 10lb mono was sufficient with fish up to 20lbs were caught. I broke out that rod about a month ago using it walleye fishing. I haven’t had a fish come off after the hook set. I can’t say that about my shorter rods. Tubes, airplane jigs, rocker minnows all work. We used jigs up to 1 1/2oz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.