Lake Trout Charter Recommendation

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

After a week of lackluster fishing in Ely(actually I think we did quite well compared to the other boats we saw), my wife, son and I drove down highway 1 and took the scenic route along the north shore back home to St. Paul.

My wife is now telling me we should do a charter trip on Lake Superior(Dangit!!).

So, do you guys have any recommendations for charter boats up there? Is there anything I should know about planning a trip(we are thinking later in July or early August)? I’d like to catch some big lakers, or even just some numbers of lakers, my wife just wants to catch anything. She loved fishing silvers in Alaska, but I’m not too familiar with how good the silver fishing is on Superior(I know they are in there but for some reason I’ve always thought Michigan was better for salmon fishing, could be totally off though).

So yeah, let me know what you guys think! Or heck, if there’s some Duluth dudes that have an open seat let me know! We would be happy to pay for gas and any other expenses(and lunch/dinner) if someone wants to take out a few Superior noobs.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I couldn’t give you any advice on specific charters, but if you have the option, I’d definetly head to grand marais or grand portage if you want bigguns. At grand portage the charters would likely go out to isle royale. Might cost a little extra though. The isle is 20 miles away at the closest point.

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

Phil,

Sent you a PM with a couple of charter recommendations and some additional info. Chances are good I’ll be up in the Tofte-GM area at some point during late July-early Aug and usually have a couple of open seats, but still too early to know my schedule unfortunately.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy runs Team Crush Outdoors, you can find them on FB. He docks out of Duluth (walking distance to Canal Park!) and puts the miles on to get you on the fish. I’ve gone out with him a couple times previous years and we wound up with a nice mix of coho’s and lakers every time. His clients caught a 40″ hoss laker last weekend! I’m heading up July 18th and can’t wait! His contact #320-761-6783 if you have any questions.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Thanks for the replies guys! I have found a bunch of options just through googling, but it always helps to have recommendations from other fishermen, not just random google reviews.

M. Leslie, thanks for the PM, I’m gonna reply a bit later tonight when I have more time!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.